Am I the only one who misses the daily updates of additional

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
bwh1969

searching

#16 Post by bwh1969 »

The search function seems pretty much useless in this particular forum. It will take you to the post, but if the post has 108 pages, then good luck finding your search item there. For some reason, it just seems to land on the first page, and if one uses the browser's search function to find the term one was looking for, there is a great change you get "phrase not found." I have better luck going to google or bing to find the answer than I would finding it using "search" on the forum page.

erdraug

#17 Post by erdraug »

Maybe try something wiki-related?

Pizzasgood

Re: searching

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

bwh1969 wrote:The search function seems pretty much useless in this particular forum. It will take you to the post, but if the post has 108 pages, then good luck finding your search item there. For some reason, it just seems to land on the first page
Choose to have it display results as posts rather than threads. Then when you see one you want to jump to, click on the link to the post rather than the link to the thread. I took some annotated screenshots to show where these are located.
Attachments
screenshot-1.png
Step 1: Opt to have results displayed as posts rather than as threads.
(15.99 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
screenshot-2.png
Step 2: Follow the link to the post, rather than the link to the thread.
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JMX

#19 Post by JMX »

There is way to search for all daily activity on this Forum. This search is able to disclose what is presently happening throughout the entire Forum, or limited to a particular Category.

For example, in the search field I enter a few common expected keywords (with wildcards), like this:

pup* OR post* OR pet* OR lin*

Then I carefully select the other check boxes to return the desired results. I have mine set to see all of the threads that have been active on the entire Forum during the previous 24 hours, with the most recent posting right on top. (There are always about 75 threads active every day).

Once I have successfully saved the resulting search as a URL bookmark, then with one mouse click I can see everything that has been happening within the previous 24 hours.

This also works great from a cellphone WAP browser. With one click from my cellphone I can now scroll through all of today's new and active threads.

I can catch some really neat up-to-the-minute stuff this way.