Printer Brother Mfc 640cw installation

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Hasmukh

Printer Brother Mfc 640cw installation

#1 Post by Hasmukh »

I have Brother MFC 640CW all in one Network printer at home, which I want to install on lucid puppy usb flash boot. The driver and procedure shown at this link:
[http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... index.html] does not work. If someone can help how to install step by step,will be greatly appreciated.
Brother site says to use Mfc- 210c drivers for above printer. I tried http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ven%20herehttp://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... _prn3.html
which says to use Command (for rpm) : rpm -ihv --nodeps (lpr-drivername), Gives me error at -ihv. I dont know what is wrong.

Please help me showing step by step procedure to install .I am newbie to linux

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here for instructions on how to install Brother printers. I tested this in lupu-509 and it worked fine.

However, there have been reports in the past of problems running CUPS off a flash drive. Please report back if you have trouble.

[Edit] Because your recommended driver is the MFC-210C, you will also need to follow the instructions for installing the tcsh shell.

When you install the two Brother packages using debbi, there will be a few error messages. Ignore these. Launch CUPS and install your printer.

Hasmukh

#3 Post by Hasmukh »

Thankyou for helpful information, I am stuck at the begining, I download all the files required, but HOW TO INSTALL THEM?, My googling says *.pet files can be installed by just clicking it, It does not open anything.From the chromium browser, clicking on the downloaded file opens 'geany then I dont know how to install.
From ROX-Filer opens nothing.
Browser by default saves file in Root folder.
I am using usb flash drive to boot puppy.
Thanks

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

You need to read the instructions again. They involve downloading a small program called "debbi" that you will use to install the Brother packages.

You will also need to install the "tcsh" package.

Hasmukh

#5 Post by Hasmukh »

Sure I did download Debbi from the attachment provided, My chromium browser saves it in root folder. When I click on it, opens 'Geany' program.
What to do next.
If I go to ROX -filer, and in root folder, when clicking on 'debbi-1.0.0.pet', does not open anything.
Please tell me what is wrong.
Thank you again.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have attached a ready-made PET for the MFC-210C below.

Hasmukh

#7 Post by Hasmukh »

You are really helping me here, I appreciate for that.I don't know though what is not right.I download the file you posted here, it does not install when I click on it.
Please tell me the command line to install this file for urxvt terminal emulator. OR any other way to install.
I tried to install from urxvt teminal by entering command

install brother_mfc210c-1.0.pet /
does not do anything. No error
My PPM(pet package manager) works fine. I can install packages displayed in PPM.
Thanks.[/i]

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

The problem is your Chromium browser. When you click on a link for a PET, it automatically downloads it into /root/Downloads with no message.

Go to that folder and click on the PET to install it. However, I had trouble getting Chromium to work properly with the CUPS web interface when I tried to install a printer.

I would recommend that you install Seakmonkey for now while you are learning how to use Puppy.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sure I did download Debbi from the attachment provided, My chromium browser saves it in root folder. When I click on it, opens 'Geany' program.
It shouldn't work that way. Does the file have the icon for a PET? Does its filename end in ".pet"?

Either your Lupu install has gotten corrupted or your Internet Service Provider is changing these files when they download.

Hasmukh

#10 Post by Hasmukh »

Yeah you are right. Nothing was wrong when I installed puppy on USB flash.when I download from chromium browser, file were downloading ok.I can see icon( pet coming out of box) for the pet file.

What I did is as follow:
First I boot puppy from cd I burnt. Then mount my usb flash drive in it.Access file I downloaded from Chrome browser, When I click on it Bingo..It went through the way it should go. Tried other pet file like the one in your previous post. debbie, which is also went thorugh. So Then I format my usb flash, reinstalled puppy universal installer.
Then Boot from usb, installed seamonkey, download brother mfc210c pet file from your post, installed, everything normal.
Now I can print.':)
Thanks A million.. You are so nice.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.