Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
edoc

#31 Post by edoc »

Seamonkey 2.0.6 E-mail is working fine here.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Minnesota

Will try emial again

#32 Post by Minnesota »

Has nobody else tested Sylpheed in Lupu?

The first time you run Sylpheed, it creates a mailbox folder called Mail in /root and a hidden .sylpheed-2.0 configuration folder. However, Lupu already contains an old configuration folder. So when you run Sylpheed the first time, it thinks that it is set up correctly. Since its Mail folder does not exist yet, you can't send or receive messages.

Deleting the configuration folder and running Sylpheed again solves the problem.
NO CLUE "Sylpheed" was the name of the email program in Puppy from the icon, never tried to use it before... sorry.......

Will give a try shortly.. thanks....

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

So when you run Sylpheed the first time, it thinks that it is set up correctly. Since its Mail folder does not exist yet, you can't send or receive messages.

Deleting the configuration folder and running Sylpheed again solves the problem.
This is fixed in Instant Update 002 - now on Lupu News and linked in the first message in this thread. Thanks.
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/

Minnesota

Thank YOU SIR:

#34 Post by Minnesota »

playdayz:
THANK your sir:

A good man you are!

Congratulation on this version, it represents a LOT of work and effort. I especially thank all who helped and are helping in the clean up of menu's and all to make the this version easier and easier to use for novices. Please keep up the good work. It is the weekend....so how about taking a break and enjoy yourself..... can' send a brew, but have one for me!

GOOD JOB TO ALL.

:D

EDIT:

Finally found the fix.. is there a way to have some sort of update button? on the desktop or as part of quickpet...or.. have I missed this???

Anyway... applied fix 002....solved Email download... THANK YOU again... it works... very slick. Plan is to use this more and more.... HAPPY PUPPY HERE :).

playdayz

#35 Post by playdayz »

Finally found the fix.. is there a way to have some sort of update button? on the desktop or as part of quickpet...or.. have I missed this???
Yes, as part of Quickpet.

There is a new Instant Update (002) posted on Lupu News under the News tab in Quickpet. It provides libjpeg7, latest index of puppy-lucid repo, enables laptop function keys for volume, brightness, etc., sets Netsurf home page, removes buggy Icewm Xtreme-ReAnimated theme, configures Sylpheed email, fixes USB bootflash, links fsck, and adds Dusk IceWM theme.

Minnesota

Found

#36 Post by Minnesota »

OPINION:
That should be on the desktop... kind of hidden tab.. now I know where to look. Also add the link to all the browsers if possible in the bookmarks :)

rjbrewer

#37 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:

There is a new Instant Update (002) posted on Lupu News under the News tab in Quickpet. It provides libjpeg7, latest index of puppy-lucid repo, enables laptop function keys for volume, brightness, etc., sets Netsurf home page, removes buggy Icewm Xtreme-ReAnimated theme, configures Sylpheed email, fixes USB bootflash, links fsck, and adds Dusk IceWM theme.
Very cool;
Bootflash works fine from full install now.

I'm listed as a "contributor": I'm tickled pink! :lol:

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#38 Post by playdayz »

Also add the link to all the browsers if possible in the bookmarks
Good idea. I can do that with the next update.

DaveS

#39 Post by DaveS »

OK, this is brilliant. Been using it full time since RC2 with zero problems except Full Screen in Firefox (F11) which borked my profile, actually in JWM this time! After using full screen mode, returning to normal left me with no window frame. I never could get it back, so had to re-create .mozilla. Might have been caused by the Chromifox theme, or maybe CompactMenu, dont know, but I will be damn glad when Linux gets the new FF4 interface :)
I installed the Fontwizard from iguleder, but modified the script a little to give 'hintslight' instead of 'hintfull' as IMHO that works best on LCD screens like mine. I get slight colour fringes to letters here and there but in general, font rendering is the best I get in anything other than Gnome.
For some strange reason, printing is the best from any Puppy so far....odd.
The update via Quickpet was flawless. Cool.....
The video performance is great even without Xorg-high (intel)

This is a really fine release... Thanks guys.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

edoc

#40 Post by edoc »

Agree with DAVES, printing is the best so far AND Wifi is very reliable as well -- and it remembers settings from boot to boot.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

edoc wrote:Agree with DAVES, printing is the best so far AND Wifi is very reliable as well -- and it remembers settings from boot to boot.
rcrsn51did his fair share in that department, I know playdayz had a good cups template too. I tested printing in every lupu since 502... I got me a new printer :wink: (er... wifey had the printer under her "work station", a bobby pin fell into the old printer and stripped the gears :roll: ..hmmmm..)

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#42 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
edoc wrote:Agree with DAVES, printing is the best so far AND Wifi is very reliable as well -- and it remembers settings from boot to boot.
rcrsn51did his fair share in that department, I know playdayz had a good cups template too. I tested printing in every lupu since 502... I got me a new printer :wink: (er... wifey had the printer under her "work station", a bobby pin fell into the old printer and stripped the gears :roll: ..hmmmm..)

Cheers!
The print QUALITY is important to me Mick as I am printing accounts and invoices, and this Puppy is the best so far.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tasmod

#43 Post by tasmod »

Hmmm, same as Beem, but now worse.

Started yesterday after upgrade.

I run Firefox, first click showed server error for any webpage, then connected on second click.

Finally, it suddenly shutdown my router connection!

Today on starting Firefox again, it did same. Disconnected router from DSL.

Just now same again, run up Firefox and accessed forum plus ebay and boom, DSL disconnected again.

I have to reboot the router and run the Internet Wizard each time to get network up.

I also noticed that compared to normal the DHCP connect is much much longer, it nearly times out.

I'll monitor it and maybe start a fresh frugal and pupsave.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

nooby

#44 Post by nooby »

Testing 5.1 for first time. Edit. Forgot to tell everybody "Thanks for a very good job. Looks cool and as far as I get it does work very good apart from what I write below.

A kind of bug or user failure maybe.

I fail to make it remember me a Swede. You know crazy chars like åäö and such.

I have to give it setxkbmap se each time me start up.

In menu.lst I told it to pkeys=se and thought that would do it.

It does say that it does load the se table but still when testing in console it shows [ instead of å or whatever it is supposed to on a US keyboard.

Yes I know one can do a special set up but I have already done the High pet to give it the best Intel driver so I don't want to do all that again.

So either it is me taking things in wrong order or it fail to make use of the pkeys=se

I looked in /lib/ and the se.gz is there.

What is best way to get Swedish keyboard?

I go to bed now so hope to find some suggestion within 20 hours or so :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

scsijon

#45 Post by scsijon »

01micko wrote:
OK, I took a look in petget and Barry has the "-T" param set to "-T 20".. ok so I did that, doesn't make sense to me to add it to the loop.

Also added the sleep preference, it was easy and may be useful to some, especially on slow equipment and connection.

Also added delete if petget fails to install, but it stays if only download fails.

scsijon and Kevin Bowers please test, and anyone else can test too.

Cheers
much better mick, still failed but it did attempt to download :lol:

just timed out, will try again later when i've rebooted in case that's all that is needed
EDIT: OK after reboot, downloaded and installed ok

regards
scsijon
ps i've had no firefox problems, are those having problems using 3.6.8?
Last edited by scsijon on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#46 Post by tasmod »

Yes, I'm using 3.6.8 .

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe. FF updated, generated problem.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

scsijon

#47 Post by scsijon »

tasmod wrote:Yes, I'm using 3.6.8 .

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe. FF updated, generated problem.
two thoughts:

last time I saw your type of problem was when an isp addedan extra dhcp server and moved some services rather than adding and copying all services, try running the autodhcp script and see if that fixes it. The setdhcp only shows the first two though (01mick can this be changed as most isp's have at least three if not four nowadays).

The second is that someone is trying to break into your system and your loosing connections due to timeouts, ?you have run the firewall script I take it, as it doesn't seem to be run automatically on install.

just a couple of thoughts
scsijon

kevin bowers

Quickpet and satellite internet

#48 Post by kevin bowers »

01Micko, scsijon,

For my system, Quickpet is now fixed with quickpet-patch-sj-KB-1.pet. Muchas grass!

ps thanks also for the rest of it. Great stuff! Maybe some of my Linux-phobic buddies might actually try this one!

ozsouth

Is Good - just 1 issue

#49 Post by ozsouth »

This is good. Some nice options. One problem with my Compaq C61 - Intel G45 soundcard detected & plays, but mics don't go - neither onboard or plugin type. Alsamixer doesn't show boost.

charlie6

#50 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Playdayz and 01micko,
many thanks for this nice works!
On a first live-cd session (on PIV 2.5GHz+Intel graphic 82845 onboard + 1GB Ram) + fr_be@euro locale)

a. the htop's "command" column displays truncated comments even if the rxvt window's size is maximized.

b. The resolution at live-cd bootup is very nice.
After locale setup and X restarted, the resolution is dramatically downgraded (said to be 1024x768);
If the higher resolution is choosen from video resolution setup
(i.e the only one higher than 1024x768) then the resolution looks OK but the menutraybar lays at middle height of the screen :shock:

How to fix those points?
Thanks for any answer.
Cheers, Charlie