Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
smokey01

#76 Post by smokey01 »

Stripe wrote:
nubc wrote:Puppy 5.1 is very nice, seems to work well. I will probably install it just because of the functioning repo, which works smoothly. As a test, I grabbed several tmp downloads of FLV files. They played "as is" using VLC 1.0.6 from repo and resident Mplayer. However, when I put these FLV files on the hard drive with Puppy 2.17.1, VLC 0.8.6 would not play them. Specifically, there was no video at all, and no sound, although there was a moving progress bullet on the audio. I conclude that there is something missing in FLV files acquired from tmp directory in Puppy 5.1. Not a big surprise, but will be keeping the 2.17.1 system for daily activity.
Hi Nubc
I have used flv files from the temp directory, set vlc 1.0.6 as the default player and not had any problems with them, have also used firefox 1-click downloader to save them as mp4 & flv and no problems there either. with the standard nv driver could not get them to play full screen in mplayer but played full screen with vlc 1.0.6, will try to find 01mickos code to identify your card.
Stripe
It's in quickpet > file > Report Video

sinc

#77 Post by sinc »

nubc wrote:produced broken segments, lag, and missing segments, especially during rapid scrolling.
"If" this is referring to while in firefox or seamonkey, make sure to hit the maximize button. Everyone seems to have this issue when the browser is behind the taskbar.

Brown Mouse

Cant get nvidia drivers to install and run in Lucid 5.1.0

#78 Post by Brown Mouse »

I've been advised to post this here.

If I select drivers from quickpet and click on'test your graphic card',it identifies the correct graphic card and I can install the correct drivers.I've then tried to follow the procedure to load the new drivers,so far without luck.

1)From 'quickpet' click to test graphic card
2)select driver 173.14.25
3)Download driver &click ok to confirm install.
4)Click yes to exit x windows system to Xorgwizard
5)Screen goes black and then automatically detects correct resolution.

At this point everything appears fine but if I then start for example Google Earth,it says it cant detect the right nvidia card/ driver to run and closes down.

If I then reboot I'm left with no task bar and cant get any network connection,along with unrecognized network card.

If I exit to Xorgwizard and use probe,I cant get x to start in any resolution.
If I use 'choose' option and type nvidia still the same and I'm also seeing these two error messages along the line.

Warning:Could not open init/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko
Fatal:Could not open initrd/kernel/driver/hid/usbhid/.ko

My computer specs are:-
Pentium 4 dual core 3.0ghz processor
Asus P5QL/EPU Motherboard
!gb Kingston ram
Geforce EN 210 graphics card

Thanks for any suggestions.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#79 Post by Béèm »

Nice useful comment sinc, I had that issue in ROX as well.

So I did the test.
When a ROX window is behind the taskbar I have the issue, but not anymore if I move that widow from behind the taskbar.

Now for SeaMonkey 2.0.6 in lucid 5.1, I can't reproduce the issue anymore.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Stripe

#80 Post by Stripe »

Hi brown mouse

I have a geforce 210 card and use the 256.35 driver, is that listed as an option on your card test?

You will have to uninstall the 173.14.25 driver first. (using Puppy package manager) before you can install it.

If you have any more questions or problems just ask and I will try to help

Stripe

Brown Mouse

#81 Post by Brown Mouse »

Stripe wrote:Hi brown mouse

I have a geforce 210 card and use the 256.35 driver, is that listed as an option on your card test?

You will have to uninstall the 173.14.25 driver first. (using Puppy package manager) before you can install it.

Stripe
Hi Stripe

Thanks for the idea but I had also tried that driver with exactly the same results.
From what you are saying,at least I now know that they will work with the 210 card.
One question and that is,did you install the drivers to a clean install of Puppy?Mine isn't a clean install and I wonder if this is my problem.

Stripe

#82 Post by Stripe »

Hi brown mouse

Yes I did install the 256.35 driver to a clean install
Hope that helps (please let me know how you get on)
Stripe

Brown Mouse

#83 Post by Brown Mouse »

Yes I did install the 256.35 driver to a clean install
Hope that helps (please let me know how you get on)
Stripe
Thanks for that Stripe and yes it has helped.
I think my problem has been considerably narrowed down,though I hadn't planned on doing a clean install for the time being.

Stripe

#84 Post by Stripe »

Hi Brown mouse

I dont know how to fully remove the existing drivers (apart from using the PPM) but someone will be able too tell you how I am sure and it might not need a clean install just the existing nvidia driver removed

Stripe

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#85 Post by Béèm »

Now you mention it, Brown Mouse, I did install indeed on a clean installation.
In fact I installed at the fist boot to the desktop.
When you create a save file from there, bear in mind the drivers take 40MB of extra space.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bigpup

#86 Post by bigpup »

Brown Mouse wrote:

Stripe
Hi Stripe

Thanks for the idea but I had also tried that driver with exactly the same results.
From what you are saying,at least I now know that they will work with the 210 card.
One question and that is,did you install the drivers to a clean install of Puppy?Mine isn't a clean install and I wonder if this is my problem.
Brown Mouse,

From reading your posts about video problems, it all has to do with trying to use the wrong video driver.

There is a must do method to change video drivers.
If you have installed one it must be removed through Puppy Package Manager before you install a different driver. Xorgwizard will get confused if there is more then one nvidia driver on your computer.
You may have to try several different drivers before you get the one that will work with your card. The recommended one should work, but it is a recommendation!
About starting with a clean install of Lucid Puppy, I would. The installer is suppose to update stuff, but I have had the best results with a clean install of each new version of Puppy Linux.

edoc

#87 Post by edoc »

Seamonkey just crashed, again.

I was on a news site and had gone back and forth between a linked page.

All I can guess is that something somewhere is not managing memory correctly, what else would cause this?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#88 Post by edoc »

What would cause frequent drops of a wireless connection?

The laptop is the closest to the Router so it should have plenty of signal.

It also sometimes with get the initial connection quickly but then DHCP will fail.

Why would that be - it doesn't seem to be a weak signal that would cause that.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

sailorbrand

#89 Post by sailorbrand »

Hi, i have exact the same problem like Brown Mouse.
Only one Different: i have to use the 256-Driver. Sure the right one!

more Info:
if i install the nvidiadriver at a uninstalled Puppy (from CD), it works.
After a install (frugal) the driver will be ignored. Sure the same procedere after a very clean installing.

Do you understand my crazy english?
Last edited by sailorbrand on Sat 14 Aug 2010, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Michael

Acer Aspire 5730ZG, 4GB Ram, 320 GiG HD, 2,0 Ghz Intel DualCore
nvidia Geforce 9300M GS TurboCache, Puppys & Ubuntu. Vista gelöscht!

Brown Mouse

#90 Post by Brown Mouse »

[/quote]Brown Mouse,

From reading your posts about video problems, it all has to do with trying to use the wrong video driver.

There is a must do method to change video drivers.
If you have installed one it must be removed through Puppy Package Manager before you install a different driver. Xorgwizard will get confused if there is more then one nvidia driver on your computer.
You may have to try several different drivers before you get the one that will work with your card. The recommended one should work, but it is a recommendation!
About starting with a clean install of Lucid Puppy, I would. The installer is suppose to update stuff, but I have had the best results with a clean install of each new version of Puppy Linux.[/quote]

Totally wrong!!!

One of the above posts describes that he/she also has a similar graphics card to mine and even explains which driver to use ,so therefore I cant be using the wrong one.
Ive tried all the recommended ones with exactly the same results.I'm also using a backup Pupsave file before I install and try each driver so there is no question that the previous one has been uninstalled first.

don570

smooth-color icons

#91 Post by don570 »

I hate the look of the hard drives in the smooth-color icon set so I improved the look with inkscape. Download the pet ...

DOWNLOAD SMOOTH-COLOR ICONS

Just install pet and restart smooth-color icons

You will see the improved hard drive icons once you use the icon switcher from menu.

bigpup

#92 Post by bigpup »

Brown Mouse,
I'm also using a backup Pupsave file before I install and try each driver so there is no question that the previous one has been uninstalled first.
This backup pupsave file may be the problem.
If it is being used while you install drivers, they will be installed into it. The save file is used to store settings and new programs.
A clean install is no save files or SFS files on the computer. They will be made when you do the first shutdown.

If more then one Nvidia driver is in the save file xorgwizard will get confused.

01micko

#93 Post by 01micko »

brown mouse et al, having nVidia driver issues

Be aware that you will need at lest 200MB free in your pupsave

There is another driver in Puppy package manager, nvidia-195.36.24-k2.6.33.2-L3glx.pet, It still supports the latest cards. It has 1 disadvantage in that it is rather huge at 44MB :shock: , but it may be worth a try.

Instructions
  • *Uninstall whatever nVidia driver you have now with Puppy Package manager.
    *reboot, this is important, a full reboot flushes all traces of the old driver
    *install nvidia-195.36.24-k2.6.33.2-L3glx.pet from PPM or from the link provided below, download and install manually.
    *exit to a prompt, Menu/Start >> Shutdown >> Exit to Prompt in JWM, Menu/Start >> Logout >> Logout in Icewm
    *type xorgwizard at the prompt
    *select choose from the dialog
    *type nvidia in the entry box
    *select your desired resolution in the next list view and then your desired colour depth, I always recommend the "x24" option
    *You can choose to test your settings (optional), and follow the prompts
    *xorgwizard is now finished so then type xwin at the prompt.
    *when X restarts you test video 1 of 2 ways.
    1)Start Quickpet and go to File >> Report Video
    2) Open a terminal and type report-video
    *if something goes wrong try again without uninstalling the driver or try this method with the Nvidia-256.35_lupu500-k2.6.33.2 driver, uninstalling whatever nvidia driver is installed first
A direct link to the driver to save you re-downloading if something goes wrong:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -L3glx.pet

best to use wget to download, paste the following code to a terminal with a middle click:

Code: Select all

wget -t0 -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/nvidia-195.36.24-k2.6.33.2-L3glx.pet
This will save the driver in your /root directory so again, be aware that you will need at lest 200MB free in your pupsave. Just click the pet to install.

Report if you have any issues.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smokey01

Re: smooth-color icons

#94 Post by smokey01 »

don570 wrote:I hate the look of the hard drives in the smooth-color icon set so I improved the look with inkscape. Download the pet ...

DOWNLOAD SMOOTH-COLOR ICONS

Just install pet and restart smooth-color icons

You will see the improved hard drive icons once you use the icon switcher from menu.
don570 can you post a graphic of the icons please.

Brown Mouse

#95 Post by Brown Mouse »

bigpup wrote:
Brown Mouse,
I'm also using a backup Pupsave file before I install and try each driver so there is no question that the previous one has been uninstalled first.
This backup pupsave file may be the problem.
If it is being used while you install drivers, they will be installed into it. The save file is used to store settings and new programs.
A clean install is no save files or SFS files on the computer. They will be made when you do the first shutdown.

If more then one Nvidia driver is in the save file xorgwizard will get confused.
Hi bigpup

Thanks for that.Yes I agree and I shall do a clean install which will hopefully fix the issue.
Having said that,each time I use the backup pupsave file,it doesn't contain any nvidia drivers and I always replace the sfs with a clean backup that I have.