300 mhz cpu/128 MB RAM: too slow for Firefox Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
kalleanka

300 mhz cpu/128 MB RAM: too slow for Firefox Puppy?

#1 Post by kalleanka »

Hi,

has anyone tried a 300 mhz, 128meg, loaded(booted) from flash computer and puppy. I wonder if ist enougth for running firefox? No open office, no gimp etc just a slimed down puppy with firefox. Or will it be to slow?

anyone with experiances?

costal martignier

#2 Post by costal martignier »

go ahead and try it, cost you max ~1 hour, and at the same time you have some fun playing arround with a good OS, and perhaps a really good feeling for hours/days because you had success ;)

regards
costal

Indy

#3 Post by Indy »

Hi,

I put Puppy on my mum's 350Mhz Compaq desktop, 128MB. I installed Firefox, Thunderbird (via dotpup), even OpenOffice.org 2.0 on it (via usr_more.sfs). Oh, and Java for her internet banking.

While it's true that the user experience is NOT very snappy, it's good enough for my mum.

Firefox can take around 10 seconds to get going, but once it's running, it feels almost as quick as on my 2.4Ghz (also running Puppy). Thunderbird takes longer, and OpenOffice.org 2.0 on that 350 really struggles to get started - so I'm trying to get her to use AbiWord instead... but even OOo 2.0 is acceptable if you're patient.

Since my mum mostly just browses the net and does email, she usually fires up Firefox and Thunderbird, and just leaves both apps running. Works for her, no problem.

And she's really addicted to that Bubbles game (and Collapse!)

Hope this helps.

raffy

Still OK

#4 Post by raffy »

It will still be OK as the whole system is run from memory - be sure to have a swap partition in the hard disk, though.

See testimonials.

userfromca

Re: 300 mhz cpu/128 MB RAM: too slow for Firefox Puppy?

#5 Post by userfromca »

kalleanka wrote:Hi,

has anyone tried a 300 mhz, 128meg, loaded(booted) from flash computer and puppy. I wonder if ist enougth for running firefox? No open office, no gimp etc just a slimed down puppy with firefox. Or will it be to slow?

anyone with experiances?
Did you peek at my machine? I am running K6-2-300 128 MB RAM, I have more sticks but the chipset does not recognize more than that. ;-)

But I do have puppy installed on hard drive. I have swap but it does not automatically turn on so running without swap. I have external hardware modem. So the modem is not stealing CPU cycles. Posting from the puppy in firefox 1.5 right now.

Corsequoy

Puppy / Firefox on a low spec machine.

#6 Post by Corsequoy »

I have used Puppy / Firefox on a few machines with lower specs than yours and so far they have all worked fine.

The machine I am using at the moment has 233 mhz, 128meg, and though Firefox takes a few seconds to load it seems to work just as fast as Dillo, which I find very fast. I put a good size linux swap partition on all my machines at every format.

The loading time for Firefox is not much different from that on my wife's high spec machine either in Windows XP or Puppy 1.04.

edr4d

#7 Post by edr4d »

Don't make me dig up the link but I read puppy will load into RAM -ONLY- with a minumum of 128MB. If you're like the PC I'm posting from (only 64MB RAM), then you're still OK; however, a swap paritition is very much needed, else puppy will be equal to windows in its slowness.

Even with the swap, after several hours of "power usage" the PC will sit and twiddle its fingers, realloacting RAM and clicking, which sometimes can be helped by killing xwindows, but not uncommonly requiring reboot, unfortnately.

While during normal usage this 400 MHz does get bogged down, but in most instances it's the RAM crunch that causes it user (me!) stress, not the 400 MHz.