Dialup - PopDial + Puppy Linux 5.1.1 - Line disconnected

dragonxxx

Dialup - PopDial + Puppy Linux 5.1.1 - Line disconnected

#1 Post by dragonxxx »

Hi,

Puppy Linux 5.1.1 is installed on a standard AMD Duron/ECS K7SOM motherboard. Dialup modem is hardware PCI U.S.Robotics 5610B. Before, Linux/KDE (3.x or 4.x) was installed and all went well with Kppp. No dual boot, single install only.

Now with PupDial I must use "stupid mode" otherwise I cannot connect because of that "authentication failed" message. And generally within one hour the modem is somehow disconnected; PupDial dials again but my download data is lost. I download from Rapidshare, Hotfile, etc and I have to go back to zero with the Rapidshare download page, wait 60 secs, capchat, etc. I use a download manager (Uget, wget, Axel) and there is no way to *continue* the file download with these *share sites.

It's not the first time I have problems with that wvdial.conf, wvdial, resolv.conf, pap-secrets, chap-secrets mess. I had to learn it with Desktop BSD; it worked but never like Kppp. And recently I installed Linux Mint LXDE: their Chestnut Dialer do his job as written on the tin. We're speaking open source and sharing code here, so why why why why why why why why why why does it work or don't work depending on the distro? Philosophical issues ??? Some closed source snake oil needed ?? My pap-secrets, chap-secrets files are OK, the DNS are written in resolv.conf, my ISP gets his money each month, so why why why why why why why why why why that @/$%!!f&*?|>ck| authentication failed ?

Yes, I am fed up with all this. Getting serious now, surely this can be corrected once and for all in PL 5.2 ....

dragonxxx

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Unfortunately I must say : newer had big trouble with pupdial and pgprs-shell / pgprs-connect .

manually adding the nameserver 1.2.3.456 at /etc/resolv.conf is not really new to me .. THAT'S LIFE !

stupid mode ... perhaps talk to a psychatrist :P

Frank Cox

Gnome_PPP

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

Never had any trouble with a hardware modem and the only people I have ever heard complain about them are those with internal ones, If I recall correctly the only other person I recall with serial modem problems in Linux had the same modem you do. Do you know someone with another modem to try?

You can but a new USRobotics based Creative Labs modem on ebay for 20.00. its a nice unit with all the USB cables and adapters included, had one arrive yesterday ,immediately ordered another. Unless you work for $.15 an hour it is cheaper to buy another modem that try to coax a persnickety one into working IMHO.