KDE 3 (Trinity) For Puppy Beta

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Iguleder

KDE 3 (Trinity) For Puppy Beta

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Before you install anything: this is a beta. Some things do not work as they should.

I work on it from Lupu, but basically, it should be compatible with all recent puppies.

Finally, it's here: Trinity for Puppy. If Puppy has Xfce and LXDE already ... it's time to bite KDE too! Trinity is a continuation of the KDE 3.x series, which is (by far) more lightweight than KDE 4.x. It’s very very very, but VERY fast. And, it's cute! :P

What I'm trying to make here is a modular Trinity - you install what you want. You're in control of your system; you choose what goes in and what stays out of the door to bark at the walls :lol:

There are 2 core packages:
- extra_libs.sfs: some stuff needed by Trinity that don't ship with Puppy.
- kdebase-3.5.12.sfs: a minimal Trinity desktop: Kicker (the panel), Konqueror (file manager and browser), Konsole (terminal emulator), the help center and control center.

To install Trinity, first of all, get both SFSs and install them. Then, install the Trinity installer pet (trinity_installer-004.pet) and reboot.

Once KDE is up and runnin', you can get tons of other applications from the collection I'm working on: things like Kopete, Konversation, Ktorrent, Kget and others are waiting there for you. Each application is accompanied by a list of packages included in the SFS and a md5.

Get them here. Currently there are just a few, but more will be added soon, I'm working on it :)

Easy, isn't it? :)

Current issues:
- All packages are here.
- No option to reboot or poweroff, only logout: you must reboot with the command “reboot
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Iguleder! :)

This looks to be a very interesting and very worthwhile project which you're doing here! While I haven't installed this - yet! - where I love to collect window managers and desktop environments like some people love to collect wallpapers :lol: I most certainly DO plan on keeping this page bookmarked and I'm coming back here often to check on your progress.

Currently I'm running LucidPup-5.1.0 ( update #3 ) in full HDD install and I'm enjoying it immensely. While my machine - I consider it not powerful enough anyway - doesn't have enough "oomph" for KDE4, it does have more than enough for the 3.5 version as I run KDpup by default on this ( likewise in a full HDD install and complete with Synaptic/apt-get :) ).

You have an interesting concept of using .sfs system for the apps to KDE3.5. As for myself, I've installed one of the graphical .sfs installers - "SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet" - which is floating about these pages ( two versions: One for 4.3+ and one for 4.2.1- ) which works excellent. So for me I would simply install all the .sfs files presented here. This installer registers them with PetGet for easy removal should the need ever arise. I used this to install Lucid's devx file and it went off without a hitch! ( Unfortunately I forget which thread I found it upon... )

Keep up the great work Iguleder and I do hope to be testing this KDE as soon as time permits for me!

Cheers!/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Iguleder

#3 Post by Iguleder »

At the moment I'm improving my set of tools used to build this whole thing. I'm also doing some experiments, I want to try to make a repository for PPM ... could be useful with full installations ... a 50 MB PET is already too much for a frugal installation. :wink:

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Iguleder wrote:At the moment I'm improving my set of tools used to build this whole thing. I'm also doing some experiments, I want to try to make a repository for PPM ... could be useful with full installations ... a 50 MB PET is already too much for a frugal installation. :wink:
Great work, it's hard to believe that you've already gotten such a completely operational KDE3 version already working on Lucid 5.1.0. It works fine on my system with everything I've tried working. I'm about to try it on 5.1.1.

Thanks for a fine addition,
Jim

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hello again Iguleder!

At first when I installed this I couldn't manage to keep the KDE3.5 desktop "running". Allow me to explain:

I'm running a Dell, 2.6gig Celeron P4 processor with 512megs of RAM. My test distro is Lupu-508 in Frugal with a large savefile ( around 2.6gigs ). In place of using the bootmanager I chose to install the .sfs files using Trio's GUI installer, first installing the two .sfs files and afterwards the Trinity .pet.

Then I rebooted the computer selecting 508. It auto-booted into the KDE3.5 desktop ( using the .desktop file in "autostart" where you'd placed it - which I think I'll rename once I place over into my 510 system ;) ). I remained in the desktop for 1.30 to 2 minutes until the desktop simply "cut out" and went black on me...

I'm not sure exactly why I suspect this, but I checked the "qt3" directory in "/usr/lib" and to me it seems like it should have far more than just the plugins.

So on a 'hunch' - and after several consecutive 'blackouts' as well - I decided to download a complete "qt-3.3.8" which I subsequently installed into my 508 savefile.

Upon reboot... well Iguleder... here I am now, posting this from my Midori browser in said Trinity Desktop, where I've been puttering and working around for the past 1 and a half hours now. ;) Seems so that's all I needed was the full qt3 directory for this to be up and functioning perfectly for whatever reason.

I just thought that I'd give you this detailed report so that you'd know.

HTH,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Iguleder!

Hmm... I am having a little bit of a problem here which I'd like having resolved before I go ahead installing this into my LucidPup-5.1.0, and perhaps you could help me with this?

It's when I start up/bootup into luci-508: Regardless of whatever is written in "/etc/windowmanager" file, be it "openbox-lxde-session", or "icewm-session", etc., the desktop which keeps coming up each and every time on bootup continues to be KDE3.5.

Somehow it seems as if something keeps 'writing' to the 'windowmanager' file "startkde" at each shutdown and I can't find what it is. Do you have any idea? Or do you have any idea what is causing the 'auto-startup' of the KDE3.5 desktop? At first I thought it might be the 'kdesktop.desktop' file in "autostart" ( located in "/opt/kde3/share/autostart" where there are 8 auto-startup files ) but I seriously doubt this as I'm running KDE in KDpup and those same files don't cause an auto-startup of the desktop there.

I'm at an impasse here so any help you may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Iguleder! :) I am enjoying the desktop otherwise!

As a sidenote: I have solved the problem on the 'shutdown' issue you were having. I use a version of the 'shutdownjwm' file which Tux wrote for Puppy-4.2.1 ( someone else has a .pet of a graphical shutdown in "Software" which would probably be more appropriate? ) and I simply link this to the taskbar, give it an icon, and voila! ;) I have an appropriate shutdown, reboot, drop to CLI, etc.

Once again, Thanks for your help and keep up the fabulous work!

Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

I've also had a problem with shutdown, however, PupShutdown-1.3 appears to solve that problem.

Cheers,
Jim

Iguleder

#8 Post by Iguleder »

The answer is /etc/profile.local, it makes sure Trinity starts instead of JWM. Just remove that line and JWM will be back.

By the way, the final Trinity SFS is here, I'm testing it at the moment. Got Amarok, Kopete, Konversation, K3B and pretty much anything you can think of :D

This time it's built with the latest Pdebthing, so all dependencies are in, the SFS and Lupu fit like two pieces in a puzzle. I want to try LXDE after this project ... it could be cool to install a LXDE desktop with Lubuntu's artwork on top of Puppy.

I'm also working on a barebones Puppy called "Baldpup": both the puplet and the Trinity thing will be uploaded and posted as one project soon. :)

Eyes-Only

#9 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks again Iguleder! Found the file, hashed out ( # ) the first line which set KDE as the default desktop - and now I'm cooking! YAY!!

This is just so very awesome! :D I've been showing it to the family here, along with several friends who've happened by today, and it has really peaked their interest now in Puppy and Linux - but mainly Puppy in specific. So that's really great!

I think what I'll do is email you a copy of my desktop running Trinity on LucidPup-510 ( I have trouble placing them here on the forum - sorry! :oops: ). It was extremely easy to go the full install using Trio's .sfs installer as I'd pointed out above.

You'd mentioned doing one of LXDE? Actually, that installs very easily from a refreshed PPM, hauling in all the needed dependencies, etc., altho people may prefer having it in an .sfs instead seeing that from Ubuntu proper it takes up around 30+megs in all. ( Myself, I have 510 on a 65gig partition so that doesn't matter. )

When I installed LXDE, while it DID also include LXDE's version of "KDM/GDM" session managers in the process, you really have to by-pass that in Puppy seeing that we use a text startup and "xwin", if you understand where I'm going here? So you need to re-route LXDE by writing a simple 'startup' file that xwin can use. I use something similar to Openbox's "session management" with a file "openbox-lxde-session".

Anyway, I'm rambling and it shows as it's been a long hard day here. My apologies...

Jim? Thanks for posting a link to that .pet! Yes, that's the one I was talking about but I couldn't recall the name. That one will work perfectly! Thank you for finding it!

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jim1911

#10 Post by Jim1911 »

Iguleder wrote:By the way, the final Trinity SFS is here, I'm testing it at the moment. Got Amarok, Kopete, Konversation, K3B and pretty much anything you can think of :D
Great, is this a separate sfs or does it replace kdebase-3.5.12.sfs?

It's working great on luci-018 (5.1.1). Only issue noted is shutdown and PupShutdown-1.3 provides a good substitute.

Cheers,
Jim

Iguleder

#11 Post by Iguleder »

Both, one big SFS with everything and kdebase plus individual applications. :)

I'm doing the last touches to a barebones puplet that has no JWM/Rox (completely naked), once I get it perfectly cut and trimmed I'll put the big SFS (with the applications) on top of it :D

I'll do thorough testing and post Trinity and the puplet, no worries :)

DM was on fire!

#12 Post by DM was on fire! »

Are you thinking about making a KDE 4.0 .sfs? I'd love to run 4.0 on Puppy. :)
I even have a blue thumb drive all ready for it so it'd match the logo. :D

I'll try this in a little while. Thank you!

Cyril

#13 Post by Cyril »

Oh yeah, that works! I'm using it on LucidPuppy 5.1, frugal install. Thanks a lot. There are some things though which I don't get:

1. How can I add freemem applet - and perhaps some others - into tray? That's so uncomfortable being unaware of how much space is left...

2. How can I enable hotplug for USB flash drives and mount my SD card at bootup (like the oroginal Puppy did)?

... And just remembered - is there any possible way to switch between KDE and JWM? Maybe there's some PET?

DM was on fire!

#14 Post by DM was on fire! »

Cyril, the only way I can think to switch is ctrl - backspace and use the appropriate commands. The only problem is, I don't know what KDE's is? I know JWM's is xwin jwm, and Xfce's is startxfce4...

It ended up not working on my Puppy 4.3. :c I'm trying to decide if I wanna take the plunge on Lupu...

dejan555

#15 Post by dejan555 »

xwin startkde :)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Iguleder

#16 Post by Iguleder »

Had some mess with my hard drive ... but now I found the final KDE sfs pack, I'll upload it soon I guess :wink:

Sorry for the inconvenience :cry:

Cyril

#17 Post by Cyril »

Thanks guys, "xwin jwm" and "xwin startkde" worked.

Cyril

#18 Post by Cyril »

And I'm looking forward for the new version of sfs. My only wish is hotplug in Trinity, probably via the Storage Media bookmark or whatever.

kayan

#19 Post by kayan »

Thanks for your hard work :D

Find it usefull
[color=blue]SAHARA laptop intel celeron M 1.4 GHz/ 768Mb Ram /40GB ,SIS 661 chipset,[/color]

darkduck

issues with Trinity

#20 Post by darkduck »

Hi,
Nice to have KDE3 for Pyppy! Thanks for your work!

Issues I have so far in my Puppy 5.1.1 + KDE3:
1) Chromium browser does not have correct icon in menu and when linked to desktop. When placed in quick launch area (next to K button), it gets cogwheel icon.
2) Skype did not want to start at all.
3) I know that is "known issues", but are there any plans to place icons in status bar? I need at least language icon (flag or text).

Thanks!
My blog: [url]http://linuxblog.darkduck.com[/url]