Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

#1 Post by playdayz »

Lupu-511 This is the official release

Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... pu-511.iso
6e34d1bcdad74df7d6352a6d672522ec lupu-511.iso

Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Devx -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_511.sfs
5d38669ca9be6572489450b470eea0c5 lupu_devx_511.sfs

Delta file from Lucid Puppy 5.1 (thanks 01micko)
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/l ... .iso.delta 10M
0aa6b871ca122f84d26233a8b838ac2f lupu-510.iso___lupu-511.iso.delta

Instant Update 001 for Lucid Puppy 5.1.1. There was a problem with some modem scripts in Woof and this update rolls them back. The update also includes some fixes for very new wifi chipsets. http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/

There are three areas of enhancement to Lucid Puppy 5.1.1. One, it is built with the Woof (Puppy Build System) released on August 22. This has a number of enhancements over the July 10 version used in LP 5.1, including: transmit and receive cumulative totals in the network tray icon, refinements to Smbclinet and smbexplorer, and more support for dial-up modems. Two, the default internal browser has been changed to a splendidly small version of Midori built by Puppy’s technosaurus. Three, there are a number of bugfixes included from Instant Update 003 (for 5.1): provides libjpeg7, laptop function keys, configures Sylpheed email, fixes USB bootflash, links fsck, Arabic and Hebrew fonts, links to libfaad and libx264 for xfce, browser link to Lupu News.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 08 Sep 2010, 19:18, edited 37 times in total.

Stripe

#2 Post by Stripe »

Hi Playdayz
On downloading 511 and will report anything I find, with it being built with the newer version of Woof, will everything need testing again or just the problem areas?
Cheers
Stripe

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Quick manual fresh frugal install of Luci-217 on the old P3 test box. No need to copy and paste anything.......................initial boot to a working desktop with correct resolution and working sound and internet connection.

Installed Xorg_High and SeaMonkey........has acceleration as expected.No problems yet.

Haven't burned a disc yet but will and test on other equipment later.Right now, time for food. :lol:

Tasgarth

Quick test Luci 217.

#4 Post by Tasgarth »

Quick test Luci 217.
(Nvidia driver , azerty, fr_FR)

Frugal install
jwm and icewm are good

But I used 'my' method :
Live Cd
1) Quickpet => downloaded in first time.
2) Complete Configuration => Choose : Nvidia (qwerty :oops: )....
3) keyboard, locale (UTC)...

Opera 10 60, startmount, numlock, gimp,vlc (video)
acceleration (glxgears) : OK
... pupsave.... reboot....

It's run :D

Thanks
Last edited by Tasgarth on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 05:10, edited 3 times in total.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

initial report.. luci-217

The help icon on the desktop opens broswer installer.. I notice the file /usr/sbin/puppyhelp calls 'defaultbrowser'.. this may be ok in Wary/Quirky but no good for us. If it's changed to call 'gtkmoz' it opens in netsurf.

I loaded Iron browser (using now) and Seamonkey 2. Both work fine but perhaps we upgrade the repo with SM2.0.6 and Firefox 3.6.8 (or whatever is the latest the day before release :wink: )

I have PMed Barry with an alternate /usr/sbin/delayedrun file so that Icewm and Jwm share the updated tray applets. Not sure if Barry has my updated freememapplet_tray bugfix for full installs.

Anyone testing a full install, let me know if the tray icon for freememapplet_tray works, Jwm only, the Icewm version is slightly different. (the one with the green marker that turns to red when space is critical :wink: ).

I will test if Iron runs Cups. At the moment netsurf opens with cups with Iron as defaultbrowser... woops.. it does too with seamonkey.. ok that's a bug , I'm onto it :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#6 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: I loaded Iron browser (using now) and Seamonkey 2. Both work fine but perhaps we upgrade the repo with SM2.0.6 and Firefox 3.6.8 (or whatever is the latest the day before release :wink:
Might as well upgrade Flash too........I just upgraded SeaMonkey 2.0.6 up to 10.1 r82. Already been running it on other installs and works fine. :)

James C

#7 Post by James C »

Rebooted making a save file.All settings were persistent.Switched to Icewm and added Arora and PWidgets and everything is good so far.

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

The help icon on the desktop opens broswer installer.. I notice the file /usr/sbin/puppyhelp calls 'defaultbrowser'.. this may be ok in Wary/Quirky but no good for us. If it's changed to call 'gtkmoz' it opens in netsurf.
That is on purpose. Netsurf does not run the Help correctly, reported by 8-bit. It is the same problem Netsurf has with Cups, drop down menus do not work. Today I emailed the Netsurf people and asked if they were interested in working with us. Netsurf *almost* works so if we are lucky there might be an easy fix.
will test if Iron runs Cups. At the moment netsurf opens with cups with Iron as defaultbrowser... woops.. it does too with seamonkey.. ok that's a bug , I'm onto it
I thought I got that--maybe I only just saw it ;-)

playdayz

#9 Post by playdayz »

with it being built with the newer version of Woof, will everything need testing again or just the problem areas?
Easiest thing, probably, is to check the things you usually check. The Woof seems pretty sound to me--in that I haven't noticed any problems with it.

playdayz

#10 Post by playdayz »

upgrade Flash too
Right. Thanks.

Stripe

#11 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Clean frugal install on the 3200+ amd 64bit machine

just a couple of minor problems

Quickpet icon does not change when switching to smooth color

2 browsers crashing on flash games with 512mb ram installed, both htop and conky were saying that I was only using 360mb of ram, put another 512mb in, 1024 in total, games no longer crash but both still saying only using 360mb of ram.
unless the usage spikes too quickly for them to register?

Ayttm is working great on msn.

Cheers
Stripe

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:
That is on purpose. Netsurf does not run the Help correctly, reported by 8-bit. It is the same problem Netsurf has with Cups, drop down menus do not work. Today I emailed the Netsurf people and asked if they were interested in working with us. Netsurf *almost* works so if we are lucky there might be an easy fix.
Ah... ok.

Try this as a workaround until netsurf is fixed:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
NODEFBROWSER=`grep "quickpet" /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser`
if [ "$NODEFBROWSER" = "" ];then USEBROWSER="defaultbrowser"
  else USEBROWSER="gtkmoz"
fi
$USEBROWSER file:///usr/share/doc/index.html
Something like that should take care of it for now...

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

:) Just to report that my recent kernel panics
have gone by updating to this version

So glad to be using Lucid
Thanks guys :)

Puppy Linux
Luci is the Sky
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 19 Sep 2010, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

scsijon

#14 Post by scsijon »

will do monday morning, almost out of hours this month and still a week to go!

Frugal or full install pd?

What do you want tested for (how deep do I go)?

regards
scsijon

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

scsijon..

Just test what you usually do.. hopefully QP is ok for you now :wink: (just try the small packages.. Pwidgets is the smallest)

Here's (attached) is my proposed changes to /usr/sbin/delayedrun so Icewm and Jwm can share the icons in the tray... might as well test so BarryK has an idea if it works ok and can include in the woof build system.

What it does:
  • *modifies /usr/sbin/delayedrun so that the messy scripts being used now for icewm become redundant.
    *it actually changes some permissions on the icewm files so they don't interfere
    *upgrades wmswitcher.. (hopefully you won't notice a thing there :wink: )
Have fun testing :P

Cheers
Attachments
what-ice-will-look-like.png
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 21250 times
delayed-run-test-1.pet
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 1630 times

James C

#16 Post by James C »

Installed pet,restarted X and............................ :)
Attachments
luci-icewm.png
(182.85 KiB) Downloaded 3289 times

Stripe

#17 Post by Stripe »

Hi 01micko

Instaled the delayed run pet and works fine, if you change the desktops with the desktop/wm switcher.

If in icewm and you use the shutdown/restart in jvm option, only the sound icon appears in the task bar when jvm is started.

Hope this helps
Stripe

James C

#18 Post by James C »

Stripe wrote: If in icewm and you use the shutdown/restart in jvm option, only the sound icon appears in the task bar when jvm is started.
Just confirmed..............................only the sound icon appears.Restart JWM no effect. Restart X returns the correct icons to the taskbar.

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

I dl and tested on my PB A6 and report success in that this version did everything automatically. As a relentless Newbie I appreciate such features.

What I am not so comfortable with is that it love to do "Indexing" on a directory if it has jpg in it.

If one have very many such then it locks up the computer for a long time, several minutes and even crash when one have 512 or less in memory.

How can I tell it to not do index for media files?

Firefox did well on CNN video but Opera browser failed. Could be Opera and have nothing to do with Luci?

There is a lot of things me have not tested this time. Wine and Spotify and such.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 21 Aug 2010, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#20 Post by zigbert »

Some notes after using Puppy 5.1 some days.
All in all, it works very well. Congrats!!!

--> Default jwm-theme: Hard to tell which is the active window. The window heading for active and inactive is rather similar.
--> The everlasting issue that the exec-button in geany is still there. The answer is also still the same: 'term_cmd=/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c' in /root/.config/geany.conf
--> Gtk-theme: Hard to determine the scrollbar-button with default theme
--> id3info is missing, which is required of both Pmetatagger and Pmusic. I consider switching to id3v2 for Pmusic. The benefits is that it supports both version 1 & 2 tags, while mp3info only supports version 1. id3v2 is also able to remove a tag completely. The downside is that Pmetatagger does not support id3v2. Do you have any thoughts?
--> The new gtkdialog-based yaf-splash is annoying when it steel focus while I'm typing. What was the actual problem with the original?
--> Would it be possible to include some classes into the wm-configs? gtkdialog scripts will benefit of that. (Fullscreen, do not show in tray, on top, ...) Some of my scripts already uses classes as they are defined in Stardust (DuDE). This is what is added in my /root/.jwmrc:

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>fullscreen</Class>
<Option>layer:12</Option>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>maximized</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>applet</Class>