Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gortonc

Lost ability to connect!

#571 Post by gortonc »

Clean install of 5.1.1, md5 sum good. USB gsm modem not detected. Created save file rebooted, still no joy. Reboot using savefile of prerelease candidate (had worked fine), still no luck. Savefile was updated so no going back. Slapped in 5.10 CD booted on upgraded? savefile. No connection, but showing ttyusb0 (nothing found on previous tries) erase, probe- shows ttyusb1 - connects???

Any Ideas? Can't use 5.1.1 if no internet :cry:

Thanks for any help.

Chris

rcrsn51

#572 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot off the CD that worked for you. At the short initial pause, type

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
That will ignore the old pupsave file when it boots.

If you can get your modem working OK, open the Puppy partition and delete the old pupsave file. Then shut down and create a new one.

tronkel

#573 Post by tronkel »

Just tried the Valaide program in 5.1.1. It bombs out with a segfault if you try to create a new Vala project. Works OK in Wary 5

Also noticed that Vala programs won't compile at all in 5.1.1, most likely because of missing dependencies in the GTK installation.

I built a Vala program in Wary 5 with the 2.6.30 kernel. The program built and ran OK here and also ran in 5.1.1. To summarise then, Vala compiling is not working in in 5.1.1 at the moment.

The Glade interface designer does work in 5.1.1 though as far as I can see.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

gortonc

5.1.1 breaks modem

#574 Post by gortonc »

Thanks rcrsn51,
My initial boot into 5.1.1 was pfix=ram. As noted above I already was able to revert to 5.10 and get it working with the updated save file.

I saw on BK's blog that there was a problem with pdial on quirky so I tried his fix-pet, no joy after restart, so I removed it. Copied working wdialconfig, to 511 but still no joy.

What seems weird to me is that in 510 with the savefile upgraded to 511, pupdial shows ttyUSB1 as the modem, but wdialconfig shows it as ttyUSB0, as does /dev/modem.

Since I cannot connect with a pfix=ram installx of 511, am I out of luck? With the working wdialconfig from 510 copied to 511, clicking connect gives no such device ttyUSB0 error get the same for USB1 when I specify it :cry:

Grace & peace

Chris

gortonc

5.1.1 breaks modem

#575 Post by gortonc »

Friends,

This seems to be the crux of the matter: What has changed between the release candidate and the final release that would break my modem? All previous versions since 5.1 have worked fine with pfix=ram installs (always booting off CD). Now 5.1.1 cannot find my modem. Any ideas?

Grace & peace

Chris

dejan555

#576 Post by dejan555 »

All I can think of is somehow rerwin's udev rules for autorecognizing modems corrupted somehow. I got my 3g modem running after modprobe. What's your modem model, if you know product and vendor id you can type in terminal:

Code: Select all

modprobe usbserial vendor=#x#### product=#x####
I have Huawei e220 I just replace id's with this: vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

You can checkout in /etc/udev/rules.d if modem rules exist and find out ids for your product, should be listed there
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

gortonc

5.1.1 breaks modem

#577 Post by gortonc »

Thanks dejan555,

I also have a Huawei, I believe it is an E166 which I did not find in udev. I did find 1446 listed for newer models, so I tried it but only got an error msg. akin to what we see when starting 511 - something about something being depreciated. Sorry did not write it down, I am getting weary.
It does look like something has been changed significantly. I did a new pfix=ram boot of 511 and checked the wvdial.conf and found that it lists the modem as modem=MDEVM. This did not exist on previous releases (to my knowledge). It looks to me like a link to something along the lines of /dev/modem. I tried creating a pointer to ttyUSB0 named MDEVM and put it in both /dev and /ect. No joy. The same when I tried assigning ttyUSB0 and 1 directly to /dev/modem.

I just don't get why this is happening now and why I seem to be the only one having this problem. I redid an MD5 hash on my ISO and it checks.

Grace & peace,

Chris

playdayz

#578 Post by playdayz »

What has changed between the release candidate and the final release that would break my modem?
The release candidate was the final release.

From the one before the rc to the rc I rolled back the 915resolution, but that should not affect a modem. I will keep thinking.

As dejan555 says, there are a number of things changed from 5.1 to 5.1.1 because of the upgrade from the Woof of july 10 to the Woof of August 22.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I am about to post an LXDE Light for Lupu. I took a lot out--all I wanted was a different window manager than jwm and a panel, so it is openbox with the lxpanel. The reason is that we know 5 or so bugs in jwm mostly having to do with graphics and full screen. I was surprised to find that Icewm has its own problems with full screen. I am hoping that openbox is receiving current maintenance and development since it is the basis of lxde. Aragon created the menus that imitate the regular jwm menus--so perhaps this could be a direct replacement for jwm--the menu items are alphabetized differently at the moment. Things can be added to the panel--right-click. I only included clearlooks.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lxde-0.5.0-lucid.pet

Install the pet and then Menu -> Shutdown -> Exit to prompt and enter 'xwin lxsession'

And then Logout and enter 'xwin jwm' to go back to jwm--if you ever decide to ;-)

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 08 Sep 2010, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#579 Post by James C »

Haven't had a chance to do much tweaking yet........................

playdayz

#580 Post by playdayz »

Haven't had a chance to do much tweaking yet..
I just discovered you can get transparency in the panel. Right-click and then Panel settings then Appearance.

playdayz

#581 Post by playdayz »

. To summarise then, Vala compiling is not working in in 5.1.1 at the moment.
Hi tronkel, Do you happen to know when was the last time it worked?

pemasu

#582 Post by pemasu »

The modem problems. There might be a problem through latest woof. Not sure but maybe you should consult rerwin.

In wary thread BK announced this and there is also mention about it in BK`s blog.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 110#448110

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01791

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01797

Jim1911

#583 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:BTW, I am about to post an LXDE Light for Lupu.
Works great and is compatible with your wbar.

Cheers,
Jim

gortonc

5.1.1 breaks modem

#584 Post by gortonc »

Thanks playdayz, I await the results of your thinking as mine is getting nowhere :roll: . I tried the new window manager but it over-rode my Dude settings and my keyboard choices. When I reverted to JWM I could not change my settings and was told my jwm.config was corrupted. Was also told that there were NO keyboard layouts available! (I use Dvorak.) Fortunately I am learning and had a backup of my pupsave.

Pemasu, thank also! As noted above I had seen BK's blog and applied his fix, but to no avail. I do believe that the problem is due to woof as I am seeing changes in the behavior of pupdial that were not present before and clean installs show that they are not due to changes on my part.

At this point it looks like I am going to stay with 5.10.003 as it it working fine except for firefox mysteriously going away on occasion. It also seems that that the current woof is not yet ready to replicate 5.1.1 which was my main interest in it. I would like to make a bare-bones version and use jrb's sfs-loader. His choicepup was my favorite up til 5.1.) Until then I am going to try to concentrate on getting a handle on bash scripting, unless any of you have better ideas for mastering the learning curve :lol: :lol:

Grace & peace,

Chris

tronkel

#585 Post by tronkel »

Playdays wrote:
Hi tronkel, Do you happen to know when was the last time it worked?
I can't say if it has ever worked or not in the Lucid series since I haven't tested Vala before in Lucid.

I don't think there's too much wrong though. With experience gained from Ubuntu which had a similar Vala compiling problem, I suspect that the gtk-dev package plus its dependencies are missing in Lucid. These will be quite space-consuming so the best thing to do is to open the Lucid devx and merge the dependencies inside there.

Adding these missing dependencies via Synaptic fixed the Vala compiling problem in Ubuntu Lucid, but whether all of the dependencies are actually necessary is guesswork. Space is as always an issue in Puppy.

Vala compiling does work though in Wary 5 with the 2.6.30 kernel with an ISO size roughly the same as Lucid 5.1.1. Wary is stripped down in other respects in comparison to Lucid though - so if a decision is made to include these missing Vala dependencies an increase in ISO size for Lucid seems unavoidable - unless the devx inclusion route is followed. Might be an idea to have a look at the Wary 5 package lists to try to identify exactly which GTK stuff got included by Barry.

playdayz

#586 Post by playdayz »

I suspect that the gtk-dev package plus its dependencies are missing in Lucid.
tronkel, Forgive my ignorance please. I have searched packages.ubuntu.com and the PPM with the Ubuntu repositories enabled for variations of 'gtk-dev' but can't find anything that appears to be the package you mentioned. Thanks.

tronkel

#587 Post by tronkel »

Sorry playdayz,

Got that info wrong. It looks as if the library you need is called libgtk2.0-dev and not gtk-dev as I mentioned before.

This info came from here originally and solved the Ubuntu problem.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vala

All I did in Ubuntu was to select libgtk-2.0-dev for install and let Synaptic take care of the dependencies for that. It may well be though that you actually only need libgtk-2.0-dev.
Worth a try for starters.

playdayz

#588 Post by playdayz »

Since I cannot connect with a pfix=ram installx of 511, am I out of luck? With the working wdialconfig from 510 copied to 511, clicking connect gives no such device ttyUSB0 error get the same for USB1 when I specify it Crying or Very sad
Gortonc, dejan555, and pemasu. There is now an Instant Update 001 for Lucid Puppy 5.1.1. There was a problem with some modem scripts in Woof and this update rolls them back--I think they might have applied to Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 (as pemasu suggested). The update also includes some fixes for very new wifi chipsets. Thanks.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 08 Sep 2010, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

inoxidabile

#589 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
I have just a little answer, hoping it isn't a low newbie problem!

I installed Lupu 5.1 - frugal mode - few days ago, appying all the necessary settings.
All runs fine, but now I see there is a new version , 5.1.1 . :)

I'm happy for this, because it means it's plenty of life...

But, does anyone has suggestion for the best way to upgrade?
Should I re-install it again or maybe there is a less dramatic and simpler procedure?

Thanks a lot for any info about!

playdayz

#590 Post by playdayz »

does anyone has suggestion for the best way to upgrade?
The upgrade will be automatic if you burn and boot the newest version, usually. I am very careful myself and I usually boot the new version with the parameter 'puppy pfix=ram' until I make sure that it has no problems. You can also make a new install of the later version and begin with it from scratch. To be most careful you can make a copy of the lupusave file before you upgrade--just in case.