Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zigbert

#61 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote: gtkdialog scripts will benefit of that. (Fullscreen, do not show in tray, on top, ...) Some of my scripts already uses classes as they are defined in Stardust (DuDE). This is what is added in my /root/.jwmrc:
I think so, with the addition of gtkdialog-splash class (goes in the XDG template)
I don't see the reason why gtkdialog-splash can't use the general 'nolist' class :? - just to keep things simple.......

Sigmund

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:
01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote: gtkdialog scripts will benefit of that. (Fullscreen, do not show in tray, on top, ...) Some of my scripts already uses classes as they are defined in Stardust (DuDE). This is what is added in my /root/.jwmrc:
I think so, with the addition of gtkdialog-splash class (goes in the XDG template)
I don't see the reason why gtkdialog-splash can't use the general 'nolist' class :? - just to keep things simple.......

Sigmund
Barry already has the CLASS parameter set, it is in all woof builds (spup, quirky, wary) so that's the only reason I suggested that approach.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#63 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote:
01micko wrote:I think so, with the addition of gtkdialog-splash class (goes in the XDG template)

Sigmund
Barry already has the CLASS parameter set, it is in all woof builds (spup, quirky, wary) so that's the only reason I suggested that approach.

Cheers
SO wish I knew what you guys are talking about :) :)

One day I will be able to contribute more.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

peebee

Success on ancient Thinkpad 600 but Woof issues

#64 Post by peebee »

First - my congratulations - this is the first of the "modern" Puppies that has both booted up and closed down cleanly on my ancient IBM Thinkpad 600 laptop with just 196MB memory - running as a frugal install dual boot with XP...

I have 2 "issues" both of which I think are Woof related so I'll try to post them in a Woof thread as well:

1. my PCMCIA wifi card is not detected at all - no sign of it if I do "pccardctl info" - it's a Netgear MA401RA 000B,7300 and was last detected OK in Pup 4.3.1

2. a huge 200MB puppy swap file is created whether you want one or not which makes the bootup time take forever - it can be subsequently deleted again but it would be nice to be asked if you want one in the first place.

Thanks
Peter

Tasgarth

first window CEC

#65 Post by Tasgarth »

Playdayz wrote:
Tasgarth, The CCE was present as an option on the first run dialog wasn't it?
No it wasn't:
There was no first run dialog on the first boot of the full install--do I have it now?

I have taken to zero
New Live-CDRW ...
1) Frugal Install :
All is well with the window CEC
2) Full Install...
reformated parttition (ext3)
New installation on the HDD (multiboot):
The CEC window appears normally as expected.

I think the CD should be corrupted (but with right checksum)...
Now everything is in order

Thanks

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#66 Post by Lobster »

SO wish I knew what you guys are talking about
We could do with a luci logo
for the wiki page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy52

. . . for now a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vidFReU7NRc

One of the plans for Luci is compiz as an add on :D
hence the rather cool section (downloaded in firefox beta)
[url]Firefoxbetahttp://www.flashvideodownloader.org/helpfirefox.php[/url]
thanks to Wow 8)

Music is All Saints also available on Youtube
also used Openshot but the editing was not in sync . . .

Luci
Puppy in the Sky with Diamonds
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#67 Post by Iguleder »

Hey, great work there, playdayz and 01micko. Can you include shinobar's JWM in the next Luci? RTL support is very important to many arabic speakers.

And if you want it a-la Lobster ...

Puppy developers
Heroes in a Bash shell
:lol:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

One has to be amazed at how FEW bugs are being reported. Mainly just a few folks with perennial problems, but in the main, practically nobody :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Stripe

#69 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

back in 800mhz mode again and everything is working fine (after replacing netsurf with seamonkey1-1.1.18-special-q1 to sort out the cups menus and being able to download from puppynews straight away) remastered 217 and it put the size up to 137mb

Have taken a screenshot and am attaching it to make sure it works.

Cheers
Stripe

rjbrewer

#70 Post by rjbrewer »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

back in 800mhz mode again and everything is working fine (after replacing netsurf with seamonkey1-1.1.18-special-q1 to sort out the cups menus and being able to download from puppynews straight away) remastered 217 and it put the size up to 137mb

Have taken a screenshot and am attaching it to make sure it works.

Cheers
Stripe
Question:

When you took the screen shot; were the videos running, or on
pause?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Stripe

#71 Post by Stripe »

rjbrewer wrote: Question:

pause?
The you tube video was paused but still downloading to temp as a flv, but vlc was playing the flv video as it was downloading. (so you dont have to wait for it to download fully before you can play it) and no browser crashes yet (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the tip about seamonkey
Stripe

rjbrewer

#72 Post by rjbrewer »

Stripe wrote:
rjbrewer wrote: Question:

pause?
The you tube video was paused but still downloading to temp as a flv, but vlc was playing the flv video as it was downloading. (so you dont have to wait for it to download fully before you can play it) and no browser crashes yet (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the tip about seamonkey
Stripe
Thanks;

You can reduce the file size to a 11mb mp4 with this tip from
"battleshooter".
The video quality takes a severe hit though.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 843#443843

Great song....wasn't even aware of those people; I have to get up to
speed on new music.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tasmod

#73 Post by tasmod »

Just a hint when posting pics, if you keep it below 500kb it will display in forum, rather than needing a download.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

scsijon

report 511/217

#74 Post by scsijon »

use classic video setup since i usually :) have problems:

-working area only appeared in the top corner, not a full screen as has been in the past (5.1)

- noted that timezones still only have perth in the ausie timezones, about time this was fixed.

- usual video problems in setting screen/video card so won't duplicate here

- qpet ok (would hope so too)

- icon for showing online is missing (between speaker icon and "processor load" bar even though sat modem says connected and space is there.

- each time restart x via menu>shutdown>restart x server the screen is being reset to the max matrix not the configured matrix

- frugal install ok, we still have to change the savefile directory though, this should be by default folks, please fix.

- installed a number of pets and rebooted, all work ok except for the browsers (ff,sm,ns) ALL have that vertical page stretch again. This had been fixed before 5.1 was released, it's back again folks. :(

that will do for a start, lets see what comes out fixed in 511/218.

regards
scsijon

bigpup

#75 Post by bigpup »

Why no real ATI video card drivers for Lucid Puppy?
ATI support site has Linux drivers for download, but they need compiled for the kernel that is being used.
There are Nvidia drivers for Lucid Puppy but us ATI video card scum, get just one, and it does not fully empower an ATI video card.
Some person please take on this mission.

playdayz

#76 Post by playdayz »

-working area only appeared in the top corner, not a full screen as has been in the past (5.1)
What do you mean by working area pleas?
- icon for showing online is missing (between speaker icon and "processor load" bar even though sat modem says connected and space is there.
I observe that also or something similar, blank between xload and the volume control

scsijon

#77 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote:
What do you mean by working area pleas?
The area containing instructions and menu items, suspect it's still at 640x480 while the screen is still set at the maximum size. Suspect X hasn't released properly if at all.
playdayz wrote:
I observe that also or something similar, blank between xload and the volume control
After going back to 5.1 I realized this is the "blinky" package icon that is missing.

To add to you and my woes, each time i've started from "cold" ie power button, i'm having to reset the screen size from max resolution and refresh rate. Also after installing xorg-high and restarting the X server.

Also and another maybe problem, i've noticed the cpu use is nearly a straight line, does this mean you've optimised for 217 or is the scale wrong?

As an added problem, although not directly related hpijs-3.10.x-dynppd has been updated to release ..6 but trying to download via ppm fails, when doing a search for it the error is returned that the "remote file exists and could contain further links but recursion is disabled -- not retrieving".

Also, we need another font tweek like you did in the 5.1 development the 217 font is displaying narrow characters.

Also, the Firewall state Rx/Tx is either not storing the month data or is resetting and not reloading, power off or reboot is causing the fields to become zero again.

I won't go further with 217, will install both methods (frug and full) and on all four systems I now have setup and available for testing when 218 appears, providing everything is decently behaving on the first of course.

note for bigpup: thought I saw an ati driver pup in the 5.0.1 dataset, partition is now deleted on my test box, was in one of the other areas, not setup though.

have fun
scsijon
going back to 5.1, :x this browser problem is really the pits :evil: , it hurts the eyes too much!
edited and completed in 5.1, much better. :D

playdayz

#78 Post by playdayz »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... d-official
hpijs-3.10.x-dynppd has been updated to release ..6 but trying to download via ppm fails
I made a typo on the hp drivers--That is fixed but you will need to download the Packages-puppy-lucid-official from the link above and put it into /root/.packages.

Do you mean the browser problem that is worse when the browser window extends below the screen?
The area containing instructions and menu items, suspect it's still at 640x480 while the screen is still set at the maximum size. Suspect X hasn't released properly if at all.
What happens if you Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X server. It might also help to use Icewm which handles a screen resize better than jwm.

What happens if you go ahead and run Classic Config Experience (xorgwizard) to set the video?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luci-218 is posted now int he first message of tis thread. It is built with the new Woof released today AUG 22 and has another of other things including the Return of Puppy Browser!

James C

#79 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of Luci-218 on the old test box.Installed Firefox and Xorg_High.Display,sound and internet connection all correct at initial boot.

One minor glich, Firefox would not connect with the forum so I had to go into Firefox preferences and change from "use system proxy settings" to "no proxy".Working fine now.

Much prefer PuppyBrowser over Netsurf too.

On to more testing......................... :lol:

James C

#80 Post by James C »

No menu icon for GtkHash in JWM.......has icon in Icewm.