Drivers for Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 with 2.6.33.2 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
tempestuous

#136 Post by tempestuous »

The xhci driver is a standard kernel module - the only way to update it is to move up to a more recent kernel version (such as Slacko) ...
... but it sounds to me that the xhci driver is not at fault. The driver should have no impact on the read/write status of the drive - I suspect it's more a case of how the NTFS-3G filesystem driver detects the condition of the NTFS filesystem on your drive. In other words, the NTFS-3G driver is possibly "unhappy" about the condition of the filesystem, so mounts it as read-only.

I'm not an expert in this area, so you should consider making a separate post on this subject ...
but a quick thing to try is to connect the drive to a Windows XP computer, then defragment the drive by going to
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Degfragmenter

Once defragmented, reconnect the drive to Puppy and see if you get a better result.

otropogo

#137 Post by otropogo »

tempestuous wrote:The xhci driver is a standard kernel module - the only way to update it is to move up to a more recent kernel version (such as Slacko) ...
I wonder then why Slacko 5.3 is unable to detect anything on the USB3 ports?
... but it sounds to me that the xhci driver is not at fault. The driver should have no impact on the read/write status of the drive - I suspect it's more a case of how the NTFS-3G filesystem driver detects the condition of the NTFS filesystem on your drive. In other words, the NTFS-3G driver is possibly "unhappy" about the condition of the filesystem, so mounts it as read-only.
Then how to explain the fact that Puppy 5.2.8 has no problem with the drive on the desktop that doesn't have the USB3 driver installed, only on the one that does? Or the fact that Slacko 5.29.6, Windows 7, and Win2K report no problems with the drive? All of these mount the drive as writable every time. OTOH, the system that reports the ntfs-3g problem is inconsistent, and sometimes changes its mind and finds the partition acceptable. Since I boot from CD every time, I conclude the difference stems from the lupusave 2fs file on the USB3 PC.

I'm not an expert in this area, so you should consider making a separate post on this subject ...
but a quick thing to try is to connect the drive to a Windows XP computer, then defragment the drive by going to
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Degfragmenter

Once defragmented, reconnect the drive to Puppy and see if you get a better result.
OK. Any suggestion as to where I should post it and with what subject heading? Most of my past posts on hardware issues have failed to evoke any response from the technical gurus.

As it happens, I don't have a system with XP installed at the moment. But more importantly, I don't want to "swallow a spider to catch the fly..." unless the indications are very persuasive that this is the only solution.

Update: my mistake, the ntfs-3g error DOES occur on the system without the USB3 driver. It's intermittent, and I'd forgotten that. So intermittent that two ntfs drives can be mounted on the same port, and one is mounted normally, the other read only. And the problem can even be resolved sometimes by simply moving the drive from one port to another or even, more rarely, by unmounting, unplugging, and replugging, remounting it in the same place. Most frequently, though, these tricks result in the drive disappearing and failing to reappear without a reboot...

NB: I have discovered since my original post that the problem doesn't occur with Racy 5.2.2.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to install ufraw, rawstudio, or a working copy of xfprot in Racy...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

csshin

Re: Sound card not detected in ASUS Zenbook (solved)

#138 Post by csshin »

Sound is OK in Exprimo 5.X.10.2. But there is no speaker icon on the taskbar nor any sound output in Lupu 5.2.8. I would like to run Lupu 5.2.8 as it seems to give a better battery life than Exprimo 5.X.10.2.

Edit Dec.22,2011
This has now been solved by installing alsa_driver-1.0.24.pet.

tempestuous

#139 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the meye webcam driver for the Sony Motion Eye device found in certain Sony VAIO PCG-C1* laptops.
This driver depends on the sony-laptop driver, which in turn depends on the rfkill driver, which was not enabled in the standard 5.1.x-5.2.x Puppy releases. This driver dotpet package provides these additional drivers.
Be aware that the addition of the rfkill driver might break Puppy's existing wifi drivers. If your find that your wifi driver stops working after installing this package, you will need to install my updated rfkill-compatible wifi drivers from earlier in this thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 093#452093

Also be aware there are several generations of Motion Eye cameras. The only one supported by this driver is device ID 136B:FF01
If in doubt, run this command to check which camera device ID you have -

Code: Select all

lspci -n
INSTRUCTIONS:
After installing this dotpet, reboot. Run the "lsmod" command to check that the meye driver and sony-laptop driver have both automatically loaded. If not, you need to configure Puppy to do so. Go to
Menu > System > BootManager configure bootup > Click here to add a new module:
Add the "meye" module to the right-hand pane, then click "OK".
Now reboot again. Your new driver should be loaded and ready to use. As always, a suitable application such as mplayer must then be used to display the webcam image.
Attachments
meye-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8
(37.92 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

IanJ

#140 Post by IanJ »

Thanks very much for compiling these modules and making a dotpet.

I've installed the dotpet to my vaio c1xd and rebooted but lsmod doesn't show the modules loaded. I then tried to modprobe them in order to load them.

modprobe rfkill (loads ok)
modprobe sony_laptop ('FATAL: Error inserting sony_laptop (/lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko): No such device')

There are some notes in the module .txt asking people to test this module as it is the replacement for the older sonypi module; sonypi works for me and enables the jogdial but I get the above error when loading sony_laptop. I made sure sonypi wasn't loaded before trying to load sony_laptop.

Is there anything further I can do to debug this or should I contact the person maintaining the sony_laptop kernel module?

Thanks for your efforts.

Ian

tempestuous

#141 Post by tempestuous »

Initially I suggest you check whether your webcam is actually compatible with the meye driver. Run this command -

lspci -n
looking for 136b:ff01 If your webcam has a different ID, there's no point going any further.

But if your webcam is compatible, I suggest the first thing to check is the health of your ACPI system. Run this command -

dmesg
and look at everything relating to ACPI and hardware resource allocation. You might see errors relating to ACPI, and if so, we might be able to fix this by passing boot options to the kernel.

If ACPI looks healthy, some troubleshooting of the sony-laptop module, itself, could help.
First move /etc/modprobe.d/sony-laptop.conf somewhere else (such as /root) because this is the module configuration which I assumed to be correct ("camera=1").

Now try to load the sony-laptop module, experimenting with various parameters:

modprobe sony-laptop

modprobe sony-laptop compat=1

modprobe sony-laptop no_spic=1

modprobe sony-laptop minor=250 camera=1
If the module loads without reporting errors in any of these instances, you will need to unload it before trying again with other parameters -

rmmod sony-laptop

pemasu

#142 Post by pemasu »

# find /lib -name "sony*"
/lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/char/sonypi.ko
/lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko

Oops. Didnt see above post by tempestuous. It was posted while I was writing this. Sorry. I just meant to point that the module is sony-laptop, not sony_laptop.

paulski

Ralink rt61 for 2.6.33.2

#143 Post by paulski »

@ Tempestuous

I saw back on page 2 of this thread that you had Ralink drivers compiled.

I'm having a hair tearing experience trying to get Ralinks rt61 drivers compiled. Perhaps you know the secret. I have the kernel sources all linked in. Not sure why it won't compile. I have the source files should you need em (just email or PM me).

The rt61 module that comes with Puppy 528 (and earlier) is just not strong enough. In Pup 4 series I had better luck with Ndiswrapper and the windows driver giving me transmission strength control that the linux driver didnt have.

Unfortunately in all Pup 5 series I get horrible unrecoverable crashes when either modules (native or ndiswrapper) don't pick up the WLAN. It might also be a crash in the scan routine. Ndiswrapper is the latest (1.56) in Puppy 528 so I don't want to fight further down that path until I've tested the latest possible native driver.

Its a real shame if it can't work as I'm effectively cornered and may need to spend money on a compatible card - I'm too much of scrooge for that and I don't like the fact that a puppy version upgrade is responsible. (I Love the pup - It shouldn't be his fault).

Just for the record the PCI Wireless card is a D Link DWL G510

headfound

#144 Post by headfound »

@Tempestuous
Thankyou for the drivers on page 2 for railink usb wifi adapters.
After much messing around and reboots, my Tenda W322U v2.0 usb adapter works perfectly in dpup exprimo! Will try in others and report back here :)
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

tempestuous

#145 Post by tempestuous »

headfound, it was nice of you to offer me thanks ...
but I don't deserve any thanks in this particular case!
headfound wrote:After much messing around and reboots, my Tenda W322U v2.0 usb adapter works perfectly in dpup exprimo!
You do realise that the drivers in this thread are compatible only with Puppy Lucid 5.1 - 5.2.8??

It's far more likely that the "messing around and reboots" were the reason for your success, not my Ralink drivers.

tempestuous

#146 Post by tempestuous »

paulski wrote:I'm having a hair tearing experience trying to get Ralinks rt61 drivers compiled.
I have the source files should you need em (just email or PM me).
paulski, I tried to compile the vendor-supplied rt61 driver, and it definitely fails under the 2.6.33.2 kernel.
The source code is quite old, and clearly won't work with recent kernels.

I suggest you persist with the standard rt61pci driver in Lucid - by configuring this driver to disable its internal decryption function. This is a common way to solve "misbehaving" wifi drivers.
Create a new file in Geany, containing this line -

options rt61pci nohwcrypt=1
and save it as /etc/modprobe.d/rt61pci.conf
Then reboot, and see if your wifi connection is more reliable.

peebee

#147 Post by peebee »

tempestuous wrote:Regarding Broadcom bcm43xx wifi devices
4. If still no success, you must then move on to the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver supplied by forum member piratesmack here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 596#421596
Be aware that this driver competes for an overlapping range of hardware claimed by the ssb driver, so you will need to unload (or blacklist) the ssb driver for the new driver to work. And when you disable the ssb driver, some other devices such as USB interfaces may then be disabled!
Hi wifi experts

I have been trying the lupu528-testing iso published by playdayz here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1113
which contains the wl driver.

This version of lupu528 handles my BCM4311 wifi quite differently to any other puppy to date.

It is using the wl driver and is creating eth1 whereas other puppies use b43 and create wlan0.

My problem which I am reporting here is that although I can create successful initial WPA-PSK-TKIP connections with all 3 connection tools - SNS, Network Wizard and Frisbee - none of these connections survive a reboot.

I have tried disabling the SSB module as described in the forum but whatever I do it still appears in the LSMOD list.

I've been able to achieve a connection after a reboot by the following steps:
1. create a profile with Network Wizard
2. put dhcpcd into /etc/rc.d/rc.local and reboot
3. right click the tray icon and disconnect
4. right click the tray icon and connect

after 4. a message box from Network Wizard appears and then a short time after a small green box with borderless success in it.

I've attached to this post in an archive file:
1. lsmod from the standard version of lupu528 which uses the b43 modules
2. lsmod from the initial boot of lupu528-testing after establishing a connection but before pupsave created
3. lsmod after a reboot but before the steps listed above
4. dmesg ditto

One thing I notice but don't know significance of is the appearance of module michael-mic in the list before the reboot but not after the reboot.

Interested in any expert's comments....
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
somename.tar.gz
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

More Broadcom-STA testing results

#148 Post by peebee »

I've done some more testing reported here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1164

and it looks like the broadcom-sta problem reported above is caused by the combination of changes in the lupu528-testing iso rather than the driver that playdayz / rerwin have included from this thread.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tempestuous

#149 Post by tempestuous »

Samsung laptop CPU-fan/wifi/backlight

The 3.0-series kernel, as featured in recent Puppy versions such as Slacko 5.3.x and Racy, has a new driver called "samsung-laptop" which should be able to manage cpu/fanspeed, wifi & backlight control.

But the 2.6.33 kernel in Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 requires the "easy-slow-down-manager" drivers, now attached.
I obtained the source code from -
http://code.google.com/p/easy-slow-down-manager/

This dotpet will install 2 new drivers: easy_slow_down_manger and samsung-backlight
After installing the dotpet, for CPU/fanspeed control, first load the easy_slow_down_manger driver with this command -

modprobe easy_slow_down_manager
Now run the following commands, depending on what you want to do:
To turn the laptop to "speed" mode -

echo 2 > /proc/easy_slow_down_manager
To turn the laptop to "silent" mode -

echo 1 > /proc/easy_slow_down_manager
To turn the laptop to "normal" mode -

echo 0 > /proc/easy_slow_down_manager
If you want to be able to turn the laptop's internal wifi device off, you must first install the "rfkill-enabled" wifi drivers from earlier in this thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 093#452093
Then after a reboot, load the easy_slow_down_manger driver, with this command -

modprobe easy_slow_down_manager
then to turn off the wifi device -

echo 0 > /proc/easy_wifi_kill
and to turn the wifi device on again -

echo 1 > /proc/easy_wifi_kill
If you want to be able to adjust your screen's backlight, you must first modify Puppy's boot code; open /boot/grub/menu.lst in Geany, and on the line that starts with "kernel ..." add a space, then "acpi_backlight=vendor" without the quotation marks.
Now boot up, and load the samsung-backlight driver, with this command -

modprobe samsung-backlight
then to turn the backlight off -

echo 0 > /proc/easy_backlight
and to turn the bakclight on again -

echo 1 > /proc/easy_backlight
Attachments
easy-slow-down-manager-0.3-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8
(6.3 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times

Semme

#150 Post by Semme »

Hi Tempestuous, would you afford me a quick overview on how you built this pkg- so I can learn something for my effort?

*Reply- thank you..

peebee

New Broadcom STA wl pet for lupu k2.6.33

#151 Post by peebee »

I've created a new version of the Broadcom-STA pet for lupu-528

The latest version is attached to rerwin's post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1486

This pet is an update of the one previously made by piratesmack using the latest Broadcom sources and new installation and startup logic developed by rerwin.

The background (and equivalent pets for other puppies) are described:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#609360

If anybody tests it please provide feedback - thanks.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

tempestuous

#152 Post by tempestuous »

Semme wrote:Hi Tempestuous, would you afford me a quick overview on how you built this pkg- so I can learn something for my effort?
All you need to do is run the "make" command ...
but I think you first need fully configured kernel sources!
By this, I mean that not only does the kernel source need to be present, it also needs to be configured, and maybe also compiled. This will ensure that all the necessary kernel source headers are built.

To configure your kernel source, do this -

cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2
make menuconfig
This will present you with the kernel configuration menu. There's no need to change anything in this menu, just exit, and save if prompted to do so.
This simple exercise will create a number of kernel configuration files. At this point it's feasible that you can go ahead and compile your "easy-slow-down-manager" package, but maybe not ... so proceed to the full kernel compilation -

make bzImage
then

make modules
Now you have a full kernel development environment. The "easy-slow-down-manager" drivers will certainly compile now.

tempestuous

#153 Post by tempestuous »

Here are several ADSL USB modem drivers, of the modem-type which uses "PPP over ATM" communication.
The following 5 drivers are included:

cxacru - for the Conexant AccessRunner
speedtch - for the Alcatel SpeedTouch
ueagle-atm - for the ADI 930/Eagle
usbatm - for generic USB ATM/DSL modems
xusbatm - for USB ADSL modems initialized in userspace

I have included the necessary firmware for the ueagle-atm driver, but I cannot legally provide the necessary firmware for the cxacru and speedtch drivers. You will need to find this firmware, yourself, and place it in /lib/firmware
The cxacru driver requires: cxacru-fw.bin
The speedtch driver requires: speedtch-1.bin and speedtch-2.bin

And since PPP-over-ATM is not supported in Puppy Lucid (nor any other standard Puppy), you must also install the ATM networking drivers.

Here are the 2 dotpets -
http://www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/atm-k2.6.33.2.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/USB ... 6.33.2.pet

After installing these dotpets, reboot.
Configuration is explained by forum member jaydee here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 473#621473
Last edited by tempestuous on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

2012 Driver B43 is fool and Luci 5.1.1 does not shut down

#154 Post by Pelo »

2012 Driver B43 is fool and Luci 5.1.1 does not shut down
rfkill-upgrade-k2.6.33.2 pet without any result

Have you issued a more recent version of lucid 5.1.1 repaired ?

Good evening.I amFrench, but i understand english, computing not to much.

tempestuous

#155 Post by tempestuous »

Pelo wrote:2012 Driver B43 is fool and Luci 5.1.1 does not shut down
I'm guessing by "fool" you mean "not functioning". When you search this forum for "b43" you will see that this driver fails to work with certain (troublesome) models of Broadcom wifi devices. The problem is generally solved in newer Puppy versions with newer kernels and the new "brcmsmac" driver, but with older kernels (such as Lucid has) the only solution is to use the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver - this driver is posted by forum member peebee at the top of this page.

Be careful what you ask for, and what you might presume your solution to be;
Pelo wrote:rfkill-upgrade-k2.6.33.2 pet without any result
No, this should not achieve any different result ... except for what was intended - wifi on/off switching.

Pelo wrote:Have you issued a more recent version of lucid 5.1.1 repaired ?
I have never issued any version of Lucid "repaired".