How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#166 Post by rcrsn51 »

Arefacti wrote:now, my wifi lexmark s305 works fine ! is anybody know if the scanner can works to ?
There are several things to try.

But I would like you to start a new topic and ask again. Make the title "Lexmark S-Series Scanner Drivers".

Arefacti

#167 Post by Arefacti »

tlchost

#168 Post by tlchost »

rcrsn51 wrote:Did you try a USB connection?
Nope....printer is not close enough to copmputer to use usb
Do you have the Puppy Firewall installed?
Nope
Type this command

Code: Select all

mpscan -p 9100 192.168.1.5
No results from that command.
[Edit] I set up my P1102w in XP as a wifi device. But no CUPS I tried was able to auto-detect it. So I manually installed it using AppSocket/HPJetDirect and foo2xxx. It worked fine.
I understand....that's how I tried to set mine up...so there is obviously something I am no doing correctly, since the printer works in WIndows.

Thom

rcrsn51

#169 Post by rcrsn51 »

tlchost wrote:
Type this command

mpscan -p 9100 192.168.1.5
No results from that command.
Port 9100 is what your printer uses to talk with Linux machines. So if it doesn't respond, there's a problem.

When I installed my unit, there was no option for giving the printer a static IP address. Which means that your printer may no longer be 192.168.1.5.

Start your web browser and go to that address. Is it still your printer?

tlchost

#170 Post by tlchost »

rcrsn51 wrote: When I installed my unit, there was no option for giving the printer a static IP address. Which means that your printer may no longer be 192.168.1.5.

Start your web browser and go to that address. Is it still your printer?
Printer now prints...AFTER I rebooted into windows, deleted the printer and then added it. Now has an address of 192.168.1.6

Noticed that when I rebooted Windows...the printer did not work at all...so I can only asssume I did something terribly wrong in the intial attempts to install it in Slacko.

Thanks very much for the help...I really appreciate your expertise and patience.

Thom

rcrsn51

#171 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. If you open the printer's web interface, there is an option to give it a static IP address.

That would solve your CUPS problem. But I don't know how it affects the Windows setup.

mories

Re: Slacko & Brother hl1430

#172 Post by mories »

rcrsn51 wrote: The printing system in Slacko is stable. Using slacko-5.4-firefox-4g, I installed my Brother HL-2070N as a Gutenprint HL-1430. It worked fine.

As a test, please do the following:

1. Boot off your Slacko Live CD. At the short initial pause, type the boot option "puppy pfix=ram".

2. Install your printer using the Gutenprint driver.

3. Using an application like Abiword, print a test page.
No luck with my Brother HL-1430 and Gutenprint.

The printer seems to need previous commands in JCL / PJL.
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL

The Brother's driver and Foomatic-rip generate these commands, but not Gutenprint.

If I send manually (dd if=my-commands of=/dev/usblp0) these commands prior to printing with Gutenprint, the printer is working properly.

Is there any way to tell CUPS and/or Gutemprint to generate those commands before the PCL stream?.

rcrsn51

#173 Post by rcrsn51 »

mories wrote:No luck with my Brother HL-1430 and Gutenprint..
Did you try the driver from here? It is built from official Brother packages.
The Brother's driver and Foomatic-rip generate these commands, but not Gutenprint.
Is there some reason that you need to use the Gutenprint driver? There have been cases where Gutenprint broke their drivers for old models.

Do you have the same problem with other Puppies that have an older Gutenprint version?

I wonder if you have got the printer set in some alternate mode. Print a self-test page from its control panel. Or do a printer reset to factory settings.

Like I said before, the Gutenprint HL1430 driver works fine with my HL2070N, which is also PCL.

mories

#174 Post by mories »

@rcrsn51
First, thank you very much for your help and information.
Did you try the driver from here? It is built from official Brother packages.
Yes, the official Brother driver working properly.
Is there some reason that you need to use the Gutenprint driver?
I have no particular reason to use the Gutenprint driver, simply because it's what comes in the various Puppies out-the-box.
In all current puppys (Precise 5.4, Slacko 5.4, Fatdog 610) I have the same problem with the Gutenprint driver.
I wonder if you have got the printer set in some alternate mode. Print a self-test page from its control panel. Or do a printer reset to factory settings.
The test page from the control panel prints correctly.

Do not worry, I will use the printer with the Brother original driver or with Foomatic-rip.

rcrsn51

#175 Post by rcrsn51 »

mories wrote:In all current puppys (Precise 5.4, Slacko 5.4, Fatdog 610) I have the same problem with the Gutenprint driver.
What happens with older Puppies?

Did you try a factory reset? IIRC, on my HL2070N, you have to press the Go button about six consecutive times.
<ESC>%-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
I'm curious, how did you figure this out?

mories

#176 Post by mories »

@rcrsn51
What happens with older Puppies?

From what I can remember in any previous Puppy (Lucid, Racy 5.3,) the gutenprint driver never worked with this printer, and when I see your expertise and proven comments on slacko' printing system, I had decided to try it again
Did you try a factory reset?
Yes, the same results.

%-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
I'm curious, how did you figure this out?
Running the filters by hand, as indicated in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_de ... g_problems
For foomatic:

export PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/foomatic.ppd
/usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertops 1 root '' 1 '' </usr/share/cups/data/testprint >bannertops.ps
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops 1 root '' 1 '' <bannertops.ps >pstops.ps
/usr/lib/cups/filter/footmatic-rip 1 root '' 1 '' <pstops.ps >out.prn
And the results:

%-12345X@PJL 
@PJL JOB NAME="Ghost"
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=OFF
@PJL SET MEDIATYPE=REGULAR
@PJL SET SOURCETRAY=AUTO
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=300
@PJL SET RAS1200MODE=OFF
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
.... the PCL stream
For Brothers official drivers:

export PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/brother.ppd
/usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertops 1 root '' 1 '' </usr/share/cups/data/testprint >bannertops.ps
/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL1430 1 root '' 1 '' <pstops.ps >out.prn
And the results:

%-12345X@PJL
@PJL JOB NAME="Brother HL-XXX"
@PJL SET RAS1200MODE = OFF
@PJL SET RESOLUTION = 600
@PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
@PJL SET SOURCETRAY = TRAY1
@PJL SET MEDIATYPE = REGULAR
@PJL SET ORIENTATION = PORTRAIT
@PJL SET PAPER = A4
@PJL SET PAGEPROTECT = AUTO
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
.... the PCL stream
For Gutenprint:

export PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/gutenprint.ppd
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster 1 root '' 1 '' <pstops.ps >pstoras.ras
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.2 1 root '' 1 '' <pstoras.ras >out.prn
And the results:

Only the PCL stream
Even the Windows driver with the option "Print to file" resulting

%-12345X@PJL 
@PJL SET REPRINT=JOB
@PJL SET HOLD=OFF
@PJL JOB NAME="Gmail: xxxxxxxx"
@PJL PRINTLOG ITEM = 1,PRINTER
@PJL PRINTLOG ITEM = 2,Mon,10 Dec 2012 16:29:34
@PJL PRINTLOG ITEM = 3,xxxxxxx
@PJL PRINTLOG ITEM = 4,HPI3-PC
@PJL SET MEDIATYPE=REGULAR
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=OFF
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
.... the PCL stream
So, I did the test to send to the printer the string %-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL (through dd of=/dev/usblp0) prior to printing with Gutenprint driver, and then ¡it works!.

rcrsn51

#177 Post by rcrsn51 »

Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you tried an old version of Gutenprint in a Puppy like 4.3.1. Maybe this driver has never worked with your HL-1430.

LeithR1

#178 Post by LeithR1 »

I'm running SLACKO 5.3.3 on a Compaq Presario 2100 very successfully on full install.

I have also installed my HP F2480 printer to CUPS and downloaded a copy of HPLIP-slacko-5.3.3.pet, both seem to have installed successfully. When I cal for a print, the print appears in the queue and gives a time of then the print was completed.

Having done all the obvious things like resetting the printer and doing a full reset on my laptop I'm still not getting a printout, I'm trying to print a Gnumeric file.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

rcrsn51

#179 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR1 wrote:downloaded a copy of HPLIP-slacko-5.3.3.pet,
Have you read Page 1 of this thread? A much smaller and simpler driver to try would be the hplip_print-3.12.10a.pet.

LeithR1

#180 Post by LeithR1 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
LeithR1 wrote:downloaded a copy of HPLIP-slacko-5.3.3.pet,
Have you read Page 1 of this thread? A much smaller and simpler driver to try would be the hplip_print-3.12.10a.pet.
Thanks rcrsn51, I'll have a look at that but what you say doesn't address the question of why the combination of what I have isn't working. Are there problems with hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet?

rcrsn51

#181 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR1 wrote: but what you say doesn't address the question of why the combination of what I have isn't working. Are there problems with hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet?
I don't know. The package's author would need to answer that question.

LeithR1

#182 Post by LeithR1 »

Great!! many thanks rcrsn51. loaded hplip_print 3.12.10a.pet - reset everything and its working.

Many thanks

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.

I did a quick test of hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet and it worked for me.

LeithR1

#184 Post by LeithR1 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Glad to help.

I did a quick test of hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet and it worked for me.
Glad o hear it, I'll stick with what I've got for the time being. Again, many thanks for your help.

LeithR

#185 Post by LeithR »

As requested I've moved this conversation into this thread.
Hi there rcrsn51,
Downloaded hplip_scan-3.12.10a.pet this morning - then had to go out in support of my elderly father. Have now had a chance to test it, my printer still prints but the hp icon which was showing on the right in the tool bar which was how I was managing the printer has now moved into Menu>Utility> as HP Device Manager. When I click on it to test the scanner a screen comes up for a split second then disappears before I can either read it or do anything with it. Haven't been able to test the scanner yet.

rcrsn51,
Further to my last - I have further investigated and found Graphics>Xsane Image Scanner. This works and have now been able to scan an image.
I dont think we need pursue this any further, altho it would be nice to have the HP Device Manager icon available in the tool bar so that selecting scan is made easier. Is this possible

You know what they say - if in doubt shoot for the stars!! This would be the icecream on top.

Thanks