How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#286 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your firewall is off, which is good.

The CUPS name of the printer sure looks like F335 and it is visible as a Samba shared printer. So the correct setup in Puppy CUPS should be

Code: Select all

smbw://192.168.1.114/F335
But first, I would connect the printer to Puppy directly by USB and confirm that you have the right driver.

Also, run "cancel -a" to kill all old print jobs.

ralplpcr

#287 Post by ralplpcr »

Ok, the closest I've gotten so far is a "Pending" message using smbw://192.168.1.114/F335. Still no dice on actually getting it to go, however.

I also got a similar "Pending" message under smbc, but it never actually completes.

Connecting the printer directly would be a bit of a pain, since they're nowhere near each other. CUPS in Mint shows HP Deskjet F300 series hpcups 3.14.3 (which works), and Puppy shows HP Deskjet F300 series hpcups 3.14.10... which I'm assuming is a later version, so it *should* work? Couldn't find the exact same version for Puppy, though.

I'll also try it using ipp. If I still can't get it, I guess I'll drag the printer upstairs and give it a try on the Puppy 3.14.10 driver. It's definitely a puzzler why it won't work, since it's been so smooth on my other systems?

Thanks again for your assistance - - keeping my fingers crossed that I can find the magic combination to make it work!

[edit] I also get a "Connected to Printer" message when trying either ipp://192.168.1.114/printer/F335 or ipp://192.168.1.114/F335, but it seems to get stuck there. Nothing shows up in the print queue on Mint. :(

I'll have to try dragging the printer up to the Puppy system, and see what happens. On my way out for a few hours, so it won't be until later tonight that I can try, however.[/edit]
Attachments
connected.PNG
(61.79 KiB) Downloaded 660 times
pending.PNG
(69.41 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

rcrsn51

#288 Post by rcrsn51 »

Regarding PeasyPort: I read that some CUPS versions use UDP Port 631 for printer discovery, which would explain why PeasyPort cannot detect it. It only scans for TCP ports.

However, another user was able to make this work using a manual CUPS install

ipp://192.168.1.114:631/printers/F335
So I don't know why this fails for you. I suspect that Ubuntu and its clones customize CUPS to work with their own stuff.

I suspect that the same is true for the Mint Samba-shared printer, although the smbw protocol definitely works with Windows shared printers.

rcrsn51

#289 Post by rcrsn51 »

ipp://192.168.1.114/printer/F335
Note the correct syntax posted above, including "printers" with an "s".

BTW, check the Mint print queue for any garbage jobs that may be blocking it. Also, restart the printer.

ralplpcr

#290 Post by ralplpcr »

Ok, so it's definitely the right driver. I hauled the printer up to the Puppy machine, plugged it in, and CUPS picked it up right away. I noted that it picked up the name as "HP_Deskjet_F300_series", so I'll add that to my printer name variations to try.

I've moved it back to the Mint host, and Puppy once again doesn't want to see it. I've tried:
  • ipp://192.168.1.114/printers/F335
    ipp://192.168.1.114/printers/HP_Deskjet_F300_series
    ipp://192.168.1.114/F335
    ipp://192.168.1.114/HP_Deskjet_F300_series
    smbw://192.168.1.114/printers/F335
    smbw://192.168.1.114/printers/HP_Deskjet_F300_series
    smbw://192.168.1.114:139/printers/F335
    smbw://192.168.1.114:139/printers/HP_Deskjet_F300_series
Got some interesting new error messages, such as "Connection to printers failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)" and "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smbw failed", but still no printing.

BTW - I did verify that the Mint print queue showed clear, both in CUPS and in Print Manager... and I'm pretty sure disconnecting it would have helped as well. :wink:

I'm afraid you may be right about CUPS being customized, but I'm sure there's got to be some way of making it work. If Windows can see it, then there's definitely got to be a way....

I think that's it for the night. I've got a full day tomorrow, so it may be Monday before I've got time to muck with it more. But I do appreciate your help and advice! I'll update again when I've got a chance to play with it some more.

[edit] Thanks for the tip about the missing "s" in printers. Looks like I'll have to give those a try again with the right syntax![/edit]

rcrsn51

#291 Post by rcrsn51 »

You are still getting this wrong. You are missing the ":631" in the ipp versions.

The smbw versions don't use it.
I noted that it picked up the name as HP_Deskjet_F300_series", so I'll add that to my printer name variations to try.
No. the only name that makes sense is the one on the Mint machine.

ralplpcr

#292 Post by ralplpcr »

rcrsn51 wrote:You are still getting this wrong. You are missing the ":631" in the ipp versions.

The smbw versions don't use it.
Actually did that as well. Puppy gets stuck at "Connecting to Printer..." when I do that, both with the ipp://192.168.1.114:631/printers/F335 and ipp://192.168.1.114:631//printers/HP_Deskjet_F300_series entries.

But it's good to know that the :631 is needed... even if it's not working, I'm learning a lot about the CUPS protocol. (Trial by fire, I guess?) :)

rcrsn51

#293 Post by rcrsn51 »

On the Mint machine, start your web browser and go to "localhost:631/admin".

On the right side, is "Share printers connected to this system" checked ON?

ralplpcr

#294 Post by ralplpcr »

rcrsn51 wrote:On the Mint machine, start your web browser and go to "localhost:631/admin".

On the right side, is "Share printers connected to this system" checked ON?
Yes it is. I've also toyed with checking/unchecking the "Advertise Web Interface" box, but that hasn't made a difference.

I'll try to log back in this afternoon or evening to try again. Going to be out most of the day.
Attachments
mintcups2.PNG
(129.27 KiB) Downloaded 564 times

rcrsn51

#295 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tested this with a Mint 11 setup and it worked exactly as expected. I attached a USB printer and set the CUPS server to share (publish) its printer across the network.

I then checked with Slacko, Tahrpup and Mint client machines. All of them auto-detected the printer, as did PeasyPort on Port 631.

It sometimes took a minute for the printer to appear, but it was eventually seen by the clients.

[Edit] I then repeated the process with Ubuntu 12. It also worked correctly.

Is there anything in your router setup that blocks Port 631 traffic to these Puppy machines?

ralplpcr

#296 Post by ralplpcr »

rcrsn51 wrote:Is there anything in your router setup that blocks Port 631 traffic to these Puppy machines?
That is a very good question. And unfortunately, one I don't have a good answer for. :( My ISP recently replaced my network gateway with an NVG589 - - which quite frankly, is a giant pain in the backside to read & configure. It doesn't have a clear listing of which ports are passed/blocked, and port forwarding/ability to personalize your configuration is marginal at best.

On a lark, I set up a machine with Fedora. It couldn't see the printer either in CUPS, and I couldn't see a way within the printer manager to make it appear either. You may be on the right track with the router. I'll have to see if I can bypass it somehow - - maybe I can resurrect my old home router and give it a shot.

Thanks for all your efforts at troubleshooting this mess! I'll post back once I can get that stupid NVG589 bypassed to see if that's the key. :)

ralplpcr

#297 Post by ralplpcr »

UPDATE: Still haven't gotten the chance to disassemble my network to bypass the NVG589, but it does appear that this has something to do with blocking port 631.

I ran nmap on the Mint host, and it seems that although port 631 is visible to LOCALHOST, it's not visible if I use the actual IP address of 192.168.1.114. I've attached the screenshot below.

I did turn off the Mint firewall... and have set specific rules in it to allow all traffic in/out on port 631, both for IPv4 and IPv6. It doesn't make a difference - on or off, the port isn't visible on that IP address.

I also found that my other Mint machines seem to be connecting to the printer using a form of a Windows-only protocol... but not smb? When I check the URI, it shows ipps: rather than just ipp:. And of course, CUPS claims this is an unsupported protocol.

I still don't understand why Puppy's CUPS doesn't want to connect via SMBC or SMBW, however....since my Windows systems can do it, it should be possible. If only Windows had a setting to view exactly the URI it's using to connect! (wouldn't that be nice?!)

I'll keep playing around. It's more the challenge than need to print from Puppy at this point.... :wink:

rcrsn51

#298 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. Your Mint machine has Port 631 open internally on 127.0.0.1, as do all CUPS setups.

But externally, it is using encrypted, secure ipps/https to share the printer. If you run PeasyPort, you should see Port 443 open on the Mint machine.

The problem for Puppy is that you need a newer version of CUPS to support ipps. Fatdog has it. What version of Mint is this?

On Mint, can you reconfigure the shared printer to use regular ipp?

Regarding SMB, is the Samba server on Mint configured to share printers? Do you need Samba for a Windows machine to see the shared printer?

Maybe Windows is seeing the printer as shared by ipps, not by smb.

[Edit] This is strange. I looked in Ubuntu 12 with CUPS 1.5.3. When you set up the connection to a remote printer, you have the option to use ipps. But when you set up sharing of a local printer, I can find no place to select the protocol. So my Ubuntu 12 is defaulting to regular ipp on port 631, while your Mint appears to use ipps on port 443.

I can find nothing helpful on Google.

ralplpcr

#299 Post by ralplpcr »

Yup, PeasyPort finds ports 139, 443, 445, and 902 - - just as nmap indicated. It could well be that the version of CUPS is just outdated to the point where it doesn't recognize the newer protocol? Slacko 5.6 contains CUPS 1.4.8, which is rather old at this point. It works fine if I attach the printer directly, and I can share a printer FROM Puppy... but getting a network printer to work IN Puppy doesn't want to cooperate.

**NOTE: I don't have another printer handy that I can attach to a Windows machine to see if it'll pick it up there... but that may be something to try?

The version of Mint I'm using is Rebecca 17.1 x64 Cinnamon, which should be the newest in that line. It's got CUPS 1.7.2, which is unfortunately locked down in the web interface. I can't seem to make any changes to it directly (such as changing the protocol from ipps: to ipp:) without some root password that I don't have - - I only installed my own administrator account on it, but that doesn't seem to work to allow changes in CUPS? All changes have to be made in the Mint Printer panel - - which is currently set to hp:/usb/Deskjet_F300_series?serial=CN68LJ536P04VQ as the URI & protocol.

I do not need anything special for a Windows machine to see the shared printer. I simply go to the network view of the shares, right-click on the printer, and choose "Connect". I confirm the driver, and that's it... easy. So I don't think Windows is seeing it by ipps:, but it's really tough to say for sure?

As I said, this is more of a challenge than a necessity. But I figure if I can get this worked out, it may help somebody else with a similar setup who needs it? I'll keep digging....

rcrsn51

#300 Post by rcrsn51 »

Any chance that you could set up a Fatdog machine instead of Puppy? Then instead of ipp, you could use something like

ipps://192.168.1.114:443/printers/F335
Or it might be auto-detected.

ralplpcr

#301 Post by ralplpcr »

I'll have to download a copy - - I don't have a Fatdog disk currently. I'll see if that does the trick.

I'd think I should also be able to get it working in Tahr? I get the same results as with Slacko 5.6 ... but haven't tried ipps: on it. Maybe I'll do that first, just to see?

ralplpcr

#302 Post by ralplpcr »

Well, phooey - no luck in FatDog either. I tried:
  • ipps://192.168.1.114:631/printers/F335
    ipps://192.168.1.114:443/printers/F335
    smbw://192.168.1.114/printers/F335
    smbw://192.168.1.114/F335
... all to no avail. The only wildcard here is that I used the same 32 bit hplips package converted to the new format... which should still work, I believe?

FYI - The first one on the list is exactly how the working printer appears in another Mint box, so I was optimistic that it'd work... but unfortunately no luck. :(

I did try in Tahr as well, and found that it still has CUPS 1.4.8 - same as Slacko 5.6 - so it sort of makes sense why I get the same results.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some type of security in Mint that could be blocking non-Mint/non-Windows machines?

I've got a call for work in a few mins, so that's it for tonight. The saga continues!

rcrsn51

#303 Post by rcrsn51 »

ralplpcr wrote:The only wildcard here is that I used the same 32 bit hplips package converted to the new format
You need a 64-bit driver. Get the hplip_print from here.

ralplpcr

#304 Post by ralplpcr »

So to follow up on this thread, I have both good news & bad news.

The bad news is that I still couldn't get Puppy to print to my HP F335 attached to the Linux Mint 17.1 machine. FatDog (64 bit hplip) couldn't do it, the latest Quirky 7.04 (64 bit hplip) couldn't do it, Slacko 5.6 & 5.7 (32 bit hplip) couldn't do it - - I didn't even bother trying with anything older.

The good news (at least as far as this thread is concerned) is that I've definitively concluded that it's something about Linux Mint 17.1's setup that is causing the issue. It's not the router, it's not a problem in Puppy... it's definitely Mint.

How did I come to this conclusion? Simple - I turned off the Mint system with the printer, and booted a Tahr USB Puppy drive. After loading the 32 bit hplip drivers, it immediately recognized the printer. I checked "Share Printers", "Allow Printing from Internet", and "Advertise Web Service", and then went to my Slacko 5.6 machine. It immediately found the printer, and allowed me to print a test page - - it was so easy, it was almost effortless. PeasyPort saw port 631 as being open, and that was all it took. I also set up Samba just to check, and both Puppy and Windows could see the printer that way as well.

As far as why Mint is not sharing in a compatible way, I still can't say. I don't believe I did anything strange when setting this box up, and the printer is still working on Windows and other Mint machines... just not over a protocol that I've been able to decipher yet.

I plan on continuing to dig into what's going on with Mint. Maybe I'll install an older version to see if it's something specific to 17.1... but at least as far as a problem in Puppy goes, I think my issue is resolved. :)

Thanks again for all your help (and tolerance) in trying to fix this issue, rcrsn51!

ralplpcr

Resolution!

#305 Post by ralplpcr »

I've finally figured out why Linux Mint wasn't allowing me to connect to a printer from Puppy - - it's in how the protocol is entered. :idea:

To make the connection, you have to include the name of the workgroup for it to work. Go figure?

So for me, connecting via SAMBA worked when I entered:
  • smb://WORKGROUP/192.168.1.114/F335
I still haven't figured out how to get port 631 opened up so I can print via ipp:. Adding the workgroup didn't make a difference for ipp: printing... but I think this will be sufficient. Puppy can now print to a network printer on Linux Mint, and I think that's good enough for me. (And it only took 84 attempts to make it happen...LOL!)