Automatic Upgrade of Firefox 1.5.0 to 1.5.0.1

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
dewdrop

Automatic Upgrade of Firefox 1.5.0 to 1.5.0.1

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

Today, Feb 3, when I signed on to the internet with my Firefox browser in Puppy 1.0.7, a window opened and asked if I wanted the upgrade my browser at that time or upgrade it later. I elected to upgrade it right away - having read an article that Firefox had a security issue upgrade ready for download.

The upgrade was completed, and I was told that the next time I opened Firefox the upgrade would be working.

Bingo!

To my knowledge, this is the first time that any program in Puppy has done an automatic upgrade. Correct?

dewdrop

costal martignier

#2 Post by costal martignier »

this is the main new thing in firefox 1.5 it's self

totaly new updatemanagement

has nothing todo with puppy

regards
costal

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

To my knowledge, this is the first time that any program in Puppy has done an automatic upgrade. Correct?
1.5rc2 updated itself to rc3/final way back when, so nope! :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#4 Post by MU »

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... t=wxagents

That has an update-button in the setup to download a newer Windows-client (for use with Wine).
But there is no newer one available yet, and this version now is a standalone Linux-client, so the button makes no more sense. (the first versions needed the windows-program in addition).

Azureus has an automatic update-check, too.

Mark

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

i was dubious about automatic update before, now after firefox 1.5 upgraded itself and i've lost my status bar & can't do "find in this page", i'm definitely against this "feature".

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

i was dubious about automatic update before, now after firefox 1.5 upgraded itself and i've lost my status bar & can't do "find in this page", i'm definitely against this "feature".

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to turn off the auto-update feature in Preferences, Advanced

sometimes the configuration may get messed up, and starting with a new clean profile might fix it ... i find it quick and easy to setup my config options/bookmarks/extensions again from a clean install

ljones

#8 Post by ljones »

A little OT I guess, and I've not tried mozilla/firefox on puppy yet, but under mandrake 2005 LE the update actually *breaks* mozilla/firefox -- don't let it do it if you're using mandrake on one of your boxes!

ljones

edr4d

#9 Post by edr4d »

maybe it's a coincidence but shortly after the automatic Firefox update nstalled itself I tried to start Mozilla and it wouldn't start (it wouldn't start from either clicking on the desktop icon nor from calling it from the command line). Since then it has started working as normal but I have rebooted.

I was surprised to have the pop-up inform me that Firefox had already downloaded the new version and can it install itself. Didn't like it. It would have been better if it had a pop-up that informed that a new version is available for download and would I like to download and install it, but instead it went ahead and downloaded it before I knew what was happening.

I'm turning the auto update feature off right away.

vern72023

#10 Post by vern72023 »

I have fiirefox embedded in my usr_cram.fs and so when I got that notice I was a little dubious, however after letting it go thru, and then upgrading my extensions, I found it worked fine. The only thing that might have been a gotcha was the plugins and extensions, and it has always been the case with FF that after an upgrade all those have to be either disabled or updated. Amazingly even the ActiveX plugin worked and that is what normally gives me the biggest challenge after FF security upgrades

The changes had been made in the pup so then it was a simple matter of rebooting, moving the changes out of pup to the usr_cram remastering that, resetting the cramsize in my imag.gz and remastering that and I have had no problems and have an updated system

my hats off to firefox and to the concepts behind puppy

Puppy 1.07 (less Mozilla plus FF105,Tbird and Wine)
running off a Sansa 1GB player
george

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

I was surprised to have the pop-up inform me that Firefox had already downloaded the new version and can it install itself. Didn't like it. It would have been better if it had a pop-up that informed that a new version is available for download and would I like to download and install it, but instead it went ahead and downloaded it before I knew what was happening.
I think you're forgetting the point behind "automatic" here. Having it set on auto means you want it to go ahead and do it. If you don't want it to, you unset it. But what would be the point of setting it on auto and it not doing it automatically?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Yaverot

#12 Post by Yaverot »

|>But what would be the point of setting it on auto and it not doing it automatically?

Not much point, but if _I_ didn't set it on auto, but someone else has it that way as a default in my install; then that violates informed concent of my computer. Perhaps, I want to be sure a backup is run before any update, which may break my system, or I wish to make sure I have the update file stored someplace so I can use it without downloading it again. And there's always the possibility that the new version doesn't work (or breaks the only feature you care about). There are many good reasons why you may want an auto-inform-new-version but not an auto-update.

Obviously, edr4d is complaining about his system doing things behind his back, which happens way too often in that opperating system from MS.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

edr4d

#13 Post by edr4d »

I'm running firefox on puppy and found out firefox's default setting is set to auto download new browser versions. I had to go in and manally change the setting to "inform me of new versions" instead. Pizza: forgetting "the point behind automatic" -- not at all. I never set it on auto on the first place.

edr4d

#14 Post by edr4d »

I'm running firefox on puppy and found out firefox's default setting is set to auto download new browser versions. I had to go in and manally change the setting to "inform me of new versions" instead. Pizza: forgetting "the point behind automatic" -- not at all. I never set it on auto in the first place.

edr4d

#15 Post by edr4d »

I'm running firefox on puppy and found out firefox's default setting is set to auto download new browser versions. I had to go in and manally change the setting to "inform me of new versions" instead. Pizza: forgetting "the point behind automatic" -- not at all. I never set it on auto in the first place.

edr4d

#16 Post by edr4d »

edr4d

#17 Post by edr4d »

sorry about the quadruple post. the forum software hung just as a pressed "post"

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Ah, I see. There's a difference between complaining about auto and about default settings, but when I read your post, it looked to me like you were complaining about how the auto update worked, not the default settings. Sorry 'bout that.

edr4d

#19 Post by edr4d »

I get your point about it -- my original post was a bit ambiguous. Not a problem -- all good. ::thumbs up::

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Quadruple postings haven't been edited, yet!

I tried to d/l your handiwork, PG, but ran into two problems:
One of your host sites wanted me to login with U/N and P/W but didn't offer a register function! I wouldn't have signed on for yet another site, anyway.
[Since writing this, I see some comments about it in the Announcements section].

This morning, I found your original site, but was disappointed to find that your slim version is still 45Mb and that is just too long for DUN. Can you cut it to around 18-20Mb, please?!!

Is it possible to make something really basic in about 5Mb? A FD version on (Doublespace?) 1.44 would be even better, even though there would be lots still to do.
Last edited by Sage on Wed 08 Feb 2006, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.