gtkpod 2.0.2 (outdated 2011 version)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

Lobster wrote:

Code: Select all

# ifuse /mnt/ipod
fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
OK, when you see this error, use ROX to browse to /mnt/ipod
and check if you can see any files/directories. If so, it might be that gtkpod has automatically run the ifuse command, and you can skip this step ...

but I suspect you will see nothing in /mnt/ipod
or maybe a few strange leftover files from a previous unsuccessful mount attempt,
so go ahead and use the "nonempty" parameter, to force ifuse to mount the device. So this is the command (I think) -

ifuse -o nonempty /mnt/ipod

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#62 Post by Lobster »

Really appreciate this help.
I iz having fun. :)

OK, there were files. I deleted them.
See what happens when I use the suggested Ifuse command.
A directory reading of the ipad.
Now it disappeared soon after the screenshot (so flaky)
. . . but it is there.
Is it possible that Pupcamera (which seems to be running from a deamon)
is conflicting?
Attachments
ipoad.jpg
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 2013 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tempestuous

#63 Post by tempestuous »

Lobster, yes, I think that Pcamera may be interfering with gtkpod - they both try to claim your iPad's USB deivce ID.

I don't normally use Slacko, but I will shortly pull out a Slacko CD and investigate how to disable Pcamera.

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

OK, to disable Pcamera, you need to open /etc/udev/rules.d/88-puppy-autodetect.rules
and comment out (by adding an asterisk to the beginning of) this line -

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{INTERFACE}=="6/1/*", RUN+="/usr/sbin/pupautodetect camera"
Alternatively, you could simply move 88-puppy-autodetect.rules out of /etc/udev/rules.d/
to somewhere else out of the way, like /root for example.

In either case, reboot,
then Pcamera will not be automatically launched.

Now gtkpod has a better chance of communicating with your iPad.

tempestuous

#65 Post by tempestuous »

UPDATE June 2012
From about late 2011 Apple has progressively released new models which include a new hash code, which is used to verify "official" file transfers.
You will see from the last several pages in this forum thread that I have updated gtkpod to the very latest cutting-edge libraries, but no luck! gtkpod and its underlying libraries cannot presently accommodate the new hash code, so you cannot use gtkpod to transfer music onto these new devices. The devices in question are:
iPhone4/4S (5th gen and recent 4th gen)
iPod Touch - recent 4th gen
iPad - 3rd gen
Nano - 6th gen
and possibly also older i-devices which have been upgraded to iOS 5.

The situation is explained by the developers here -
http://marcansoft.com/blog/2011/01/sync ... ith-linux/

You will see that there is a workaround - you can "jailbreak" your device, then change your device's DBVersion value from "5" to "4". This downgrades the method that your device uses to interact with other software.

Until the developers perform a major update to gtkpod, this is the only way recent devices can be used.

sfeeley

ipod trouble?

#66 Post by sfeeley »

I’m having trouble using GTKpod and hope somebody can help.

The ipod is model MA147LL (Black 60GB) -- on the web sometimes these are referred to as 5th Gen, sometimes as Video-1st Gen.

I’m using Lucid 528, and installed the GTKPod pets at the beginning of this thread.

After installing GTKpod, I started it and followed these instructions:

[quote]“IMPORTANT UPDATE - iPod devices are not automatically detected by gtkpod !
You must go to Edit > Configure Repositories
and press the "+ Add New ..." button. You need to create a new repository, with the following:
Repository type: iPod
Repository name: <choose a name for your iPod>
iPod mountpoint: /mnt/ipod
iTunesDB backup: /root/.gtkpod/iTunesDB.bak (we created this file earlier)
Model: select your EXACT model. You will see that the latest iTouch/iPhone/iPad models are all listed.

Now go ahead and add some music.

tempestuous

#67 Post by tempestuous »

When I first posted this package back in 2010, I was very focussed on the special requirements and setup for the Ipod-Touch, iPhone and iPad.

So my instructions don't cover the "conventional" iPod models very well, so I will add some info now:

First, I think you need to mount your iPod's filesystem, and Puppy should be able to do this just by clicking on the drive icon which (hopefully) appears on your desktop when you plug in the iPod.
There might be more than one drive listed - for example, sdb1 and sdb2. Mount both, and try to see where all your music files are.
Also it's very important that the iPod is mounted as "VFAT". Hover your mouse over the icon, and you will see the filesystem listed.

OK, let's assume that sdb2 is the correct drive - when you go to "Configure Repositories" you must therefore set the iPod mountpoint as /mnt/sdb2
... not /mnt/ipod

Hopefully you will now see the contents of your iPod listed in gtkpod.

sfeeley

#68 Post by sfeeley »

by clicking on the drive icon which (hopefully) appears on your desktop when you plug in the iPod.
Unfortunately no drive icon appears on the screen. (The Ipod however whirs to life, and says "do not disconnect" on the screen-- so at least it detects that it is connected).
you must therefore set the iPod mountpoint as /mnt/sdb2
... not /mnt/ipod
there is no /mnt/sdb2 to be found.

I tried running pmount drive mounter a couple of times, hoping it would give the computer a kick in the pants, but no dice. (although, if drive mounter is running, when I unplug the ipod drivemounter blinks as if has just refreshed itself)

Thanks in advance for any further suggestions.

tempestuous

#69 Post by tempestuous »

First I suggest you check if usbmuxd is running, and if so, kill it.
usbmuxd shouldn't be necessary for conventional iPods, and may be causing problems. Go to
Menu > System > System Status and Config > Pprocess process manager

Now try to mount your iPod partitions manually -

mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mkdir /mnt/sdb2
mount /dev/sdb1 -t vfat /mnt/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb2 -t vfat /mnt/sdb2

If this fails, try this fix from -
http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Getting_star ... ooting_FAQ
under the heading "Solution (by Ingo Reimann):"
Basically, it means unloading the ehci_hcd (USB) driver, with this command -

rmmod ehci_hcd
Then try mounting the iPod partitions again ... it might be necessary to first disconnect/reconnect the iPod.
Oh ... and I suggest you kill usbmuxd again.

sfeeley

#70 Post by sfeeley »

Thanks for the help. However I tried and it didn't seem to work. Below are the steps I took:
“First I suggest you check if usbmuxd is running, and if so, kill it.
usbmuxd shouldn't be necessary for conventional iPods, and may be causing problems. Go to
Menu > System > System Status and Config > Pprocess process manager “
--I plugged in the Ipod and checked this. But I did not see usbmuxd.

"Now try to mount your iPod partitions manually -

Code:
mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mkdir /mnt/sdb2
mount /dev/sdb1 -t vfat /mnt/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb2 -t vfat /mnt/sdb2
I entered each of the codes above and got this:
sh-4.1# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
sh-4.1# mkdir /mnt/sdb2
sh-4.1# mount /dev/sdb1 -t vfat /mnt/sdb1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

sh-4.1# mount /dev/sdb2 -t vfat /mnt/sdb2
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

sh-4.1# “
So I went on to this:
“f this fails, try this fix from -
http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Getting_star ... ooting_FAQ
under the heading "Solution (by Ingo Reimann):" “
--But this was too far over my head. I didn’t understand any of it.
so I tried this:
“Basically, it means unloading the ehci_hcd (USB) driver, with this command -

Code:
rmmod ehci_hcd
I did this and then:
“Then try mounting the iPod partitions again ..

sfeeley

#71 Post by sfeeley »

hold the press!
So I found a windows (vista) computer that has Itunes on it and plugged in the ipod just to see what would happen. I got an error from itunes saying that the ipod is formatted for a macintosh computer. (I was given the ipod used by an acquaintance)

I suspect (??) that I need to reformat the ipod for windows before using gtkpod?

i guess this puts me in the situation of this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=338363

Basically it would be easy enough for me to reformat the ipod usng the windows-based itunes. The only problem is I would lose all of the music on it (which might be an acceptable loss, since only about 1/2 the music is worth keeping).

The above thread ended with the OP (maddox ) saying that he was able to mount the ipod and tried copying the music files. But he never said if he was able to successfully use them afterwords . . . .

Tempestous-- does this seem like a possible reason for the trouble I've been having?

tempestuous

#72 Post by tempestuous »

sfeeley wrote:I got an error from itunes saying that the ipod is formatted for a macintosh computer.
Yes, there's your problem - your iPod has the HFS+ filesystem, not FAT32. Actually, Puppy can mount and read HFS+ filesystems, but some special setup is necessary.

So Option 1 would be to continue using HFS+
but you would also need to temporarily connect the iPod to a Mac computer to disable journalling of the HFS+ filesystem - otherwise Puppy will only be able to read from the iPod, not write to it.
Option 2 would be to reformat the iPod with FAT32 - and you can copy your existing music files from the iPod prior to the reformat.

If you intend to use the iPod sometimes with Puppy, sometimes with a Mac and iTunes, go with option 1.
If you intend to use the iPod sometimes with Puppy, sometimes with Windows and iTunes, go with option 2.

If you intend to use the iPod exclusively with Puppy, the decision lies with you. HFS+ is less prone to fragmentation and eventual corruption.

Let me know what you decide, and I will give you instructions.

sfeeley

#73 Post by sfeeley »

If you intend to use the iPod sometimes with Puppy, sometimes with a Mac and iTunes, go with option 1.
I choose door number 1 :D

For what its worth, the Mac would be an older PCC running Leopard (my wife's machine).
And be gentle with me-- I don't use a Mac much

thanks

tempestuous

#74 Post by tempestuous »

OK, first you need to disable HFS+ journalling. Connect the iPod to your Mac, then refer to these instructions -
http://castyour.net/disable-hfs-journal ... rite-linux
The details look messy - but go to the end of that page and see the "UPDATE" paragraph - apparently in Leopard's Disk Utility you can hold down the option key while clicking the menu, and this will present you with the option to disable journalling.
Otherwise you will need to follow those messy manual instructions.
Be aware that there's likely to be 3 partitions on the iPod - the third partition should contain the music files.

Once HFS+ journalling has been disabled on the iPod, you can mount the iPod in Puppy -
first load the two kernel modules we need (this step can be automated later) -

modprobe hfs
modprobe hfsplus
Now it would be worth checking what partitions Puppy can see -

fdisk -l
I think that the relevant partition will be /dev/sdb3 (??)
I will press on assuming this to be the case -

mkdir /mnt/sdb3
mount /dev/sdb3 -t hfsplus /mnt/sdb3
Or you might prefer to have your iPod mounted at the more intuitively labelled "/mnt/ipod"
in which case the mount command would be -

mount /dev/sdb3 -t hfsplus /mnt/ipod
Once the iPod is mounted, you can launch gtkpod and proceed to "Configure Repositories"
set the iPod mountpoint as whatever you chose earlier - /mnt/sdb3 or /mnt/ipod

sfeeley

#75 Post by sfeeley »

thanks for the instructions. FYI it might be several days before I'm able to get at the wife's Mac to carry this out. I'll report when I do.

thanks

keniv

#76 Post by keniv »

Hi tempestuous et al

I have been given an iPhone 3gs by my sister in law as she got an upgrade. I do not have an iTunes account. I loaded the .pets on the first post into Puppy 528 and followed your instructions to set gtkpod up for an iPhone. I found that the iTunes_Control/Device directory already existed on this device and the path to it slightly different to the one given for the iPod. However all went well and I have been able to add music to my iPhone and the database seems to have been updated as the the music shows up on the phone and is playable on it. I can also play the music on it through this laptop. I have also been able to export a copy of all the music on it to my HD. I am using your gtkpod_run script from a desktop icon to startup and this is working fine but when I use "eject ipod" I see the phone syncing but it is not unmounted. If I go to mnt/ipod I can still see and access the files on the phone. I have to use

fusermount -u /mnt/ipod
to unmount the phone. Is this the way its supposed to work or should the phone be unmounted with "eject ipod"?
I also have another problem. The phone came with a lot of pictures in an album none of which I want. I could not find a way to delete them. On searching the web I found I needed an iTunes account to do this. However I found "Open photo editor" by right clicking and found I could open this album but I could not delete it. I could delete individual images. I proceeded to do this although I did not delete them all. I then used "save changes" and "eject ipod" and saw the syncing message on the phone then unmounted the phone using the above code. When I re-opened my phone and started "photos" I got an error stating that high resolution photographs had been deleted. I rebooted the phone but got the same message. When I looked at the images left in the album I found they were very low resolution images. On looking directly at the phone file system using mnt/ipod I can find the original high resolution images which can be viewed on the Puppy viewer and look normal. I also tried adding high resolution images using the photo editor. This seemed to work but again when viewed on the phone they seem to be low resolution. I am bemused by this. I thought with your much greater knowledge you might have an idea of what has happened here and how to fix it. I would appreciate any help with this. I am afraid I am a complete novice with iPhones.

Regards,

Ken.

tempestuous

#77 Post by tempestuous »

keniv wrote:I have been able to add music to my iPhone and the database seems to have been updated as the the music shows up on the phone and is playable on it.
I can also play the music on it through this laptop.
That's great - you have a recent i-device, which appears to be working perfectly with gtkpod.
I strongly suggest you don't upgrade the firmware on that device! This is likely to break compatibility with gtkpod.

keniv wrote:but when I use "eject ipod" I see the phone syncing but it is not unmounted.
Ah, thanks for that important feedback ...
I wonder why no one else has reported this??

OK, I did some digging, mainly here -
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=519273
and I see that the "eject ipod" command was never meant to unmount the device. Oops.
I remind everyone that I don't own an iPod myself.
So I guess the "eject ipod" command simply clears the device's listing in gtkpod???

keniv wrote:I have to use

fusermount -u /mnt/ipod
to unmount the phone.
Yep, that's the correct thing to do.

Now we need some way to automatically run that command when gtkpod exits -
this can be achieved with a script which gtkpod runs at exit; /root/.gtkpod/gtkpod.out

I now attach this shutdown script as a dotpet, in the next forum post.
And I have updated the HOWTO in the first few posts in this thread.

Sorry, I know nothing about photos on iPhones.

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

Deleted, May 2014
Last edited by tempestuous on Fri 30 May 2014, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#79 Post by keniv »

Hi tempestuous

Thanks for your reply, link and the .pet. I have just installed and tested the .pet. However, when I try "eject pod" it still does not unmount the iphone. I can still see and access the file system through /mnt/ipod. I thought this was because I had not rebooted my machine but doing this did not help. I looked in /root/.gtkpod to see if gtkpod.out was there and was executable and it was. When I clicked it it ran and the iphone was unmounted. Below is the script I have in gtkpod.out.

#!/bin/sh
if [ -e /var/run/usbmuxd.pid ];then
fusermount -u /mnt/ipod
fi
Is this what should be there? Could there be some reason that it does not run when I "eject pod"?
Sorry, I know nothing about photos on iPhones.
Well that makes at least two of us.
I did wonder if I could manually delete them together with the db file. Do you know if this would work if the files were music files? I also thought of moving the db file in the hope it would not be read. At least I could put it back if this caused a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken.

Edit. I went back to this to see if I could get it to work. I am glad to report that "eject pod" is now unmounting the iphone. I did try running gtkpod.out again by clicking on it and I also ran the script in a terminal but I don't see how this could have any affect.

tempestuous

#80 Post by tempestuous »

I guess I should have been more clear:
The eject function is not really critical.
The most important thing is to unmount your iPhone before disconnecting it
... however ...
if you attempt to unmount the iPhone while gtkpod is still running, the unmount will probably fail, since the device will be seen as busy.
keniv wrote:when I try "eject pod" it still does not unmount the iphone.
Correct - the "eject" function simply stops gtkpod from accessing the device (I think), which then makes it possible to unmount the device - even if gtkpod is still running.

But with the shutdown script installed, the best practice would be simply to wait until gtkpod has exited, then go ahead and disconnect.
As gtkpod is exiting, it will unmount the device.
"Eject" becomes completely unnecessary.
keniv wrote:Below is the script I have in gtkpod.out.

#!/bin/sh
if [ -e /var/run/usbmuxd.pid ];then
fusermount -u /mnt/ipod
fi
Is this what should be there?
Yes, that's the script provided by my dotpet.
keniv wrote:I did wonder if I could manually delete them together with the db file. Do you know if this would work if the files were music files?
The process of directly deleting music files from the device's filesystem will almost certainly mess up the database. That's the whole reason gtkpod exists as an application - it manages the addition and deletion of music files, and updates the database.