HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper »

Hi steve_s,

If you haven't already seen, it might be worth a look at http://sudosys.be/?q=office2007_wine (even though with different versions of Linux, Wine and MS Office - Excel was said to work).

Also, I wonder if it might be worth trying the Wine Application Configuration (just for Excel) as say, 98 or Vista.

Also, if you haven't tried, I wonder if might it be worth running a process manager in Windows when running Excel to see which dlls are used.

I don't hold out much hope with the above, but I'll be both surprised and sorry if you do not find your answer. Anyways, good luck!

My regards

steve_s

#17 Post by steve_s »

This post works wonders for fixing that choppy looking font effect in Wine. Great job, vovchik! 8)

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

Sir Jasper wrote: Also, I wonder if it might be worth trying the Wine Application Configuration (just for Excel) as say, 98 or Vista.
Sir Jasper: how do you run the Wine Application Configuration? Pointers? I'm going to check out that other stuff...

What time is it in England right now? 8)

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

Ok...now I've got 'em all working, including Excel.

I got it to work like this: I reinserted the Office 2003 disk, ran it, and select Repair/Install and then had it go through the "repair" process.

Then I had seen this trick on another mailing list website, and don't know if it is significant, but it works now, so maybe it is: when I start Excel for the first time it asks for the Owner name (or company or something) and it has "root" as the default option. I changed it to ".wine" without the quotes and for initials I put "PL" (I don't think changing the initials matter...thought Puppy Linux would do fine).

Now it runs great. 8)

**EDIT**: nevermind, crashed again. I'll reboot and try again later. :cry:

Jasper

#20 Post by Jasper »

Hi steve_s,

Seems as though you're dangerously close to success.

If you open the Wine configuration file Applications tab and click the "Add application" button then navigate to "excel.exe" (assuming that is the correct launch name) then from the drop down list choose which Windows version you want to use (just for Excel) and click OK.

The time here is 27 minutes past midnight.

My regards

steve_s

#21 Post by steve_s »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi steve_s,

Seems as though you're dangerously close to success.

If you open the Wine configuration file Applications tab and click the "Add application" button then navigate to "excel.exe" (assuming that is the correct launch name) then from the drop down list choose which Windows version you want to use (just for Excel) and click OK.

The time here is 27 minutes past midnight.

My regards
Ha! Ok...I'll check it out. You get some sleep.

steve_s

#22 Post by steve_s »

Ok, got it to work more consistently this time without crashing, Excel that is.

Following Sir Jasper's suggestion I checked out Excel.exe in the applications window of winecfg. I had done this before but, with Excel.exe selected, I poked around some more.

Under the graphics tab gives you the option of setting a "Virtual Desktop." This seems to be sort of a platform for Excel/Office to run in. I set the Virtual Desktop for Excel as 800x600, then clicked "Apply."

Excel runs great within the Virtual Desktop. I don't like the Virtual Desktop overall so I've left it off of the other ones.

For the record, I'll probably use gnumeric or OOffice for spreadsheets, but I just needed to get Excel to work. Now it does. 8)
Attachments
excel-finally1.jpg
Excel running in Virtual Desktop of Wine.
(63.01 KiB) Downloaded 1717 times

steve_s

Question: best way to make MSOffice portable?

#23 Post by steve_s »

Ok, with MSOffice in it, the .wine folder is 742MB!

Even trimming this Puppy down, it would still be too big for a cd.

A DVD iso burn?

...or make an sfs of Microsoft Office? It would only work on this version of Puppy, so it would take a remaster then a separate sfs.

What do you think is the most efficient way to make this portable? Everyone, what do you recommend...

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper »

Hi Steve,

Do I correctly understand that you can Emulate a virtual desktop just for Excel (as opposed to for all Wine programs)? I have a minor problem with my tray icons (for inactive Wine programs) whether in Full Screen or Virtual mode and I wonder if you have a similar display problem with any of your programs? Your eyesight is doubtless good, but I would set my virtual box larger than 800 x 600.

I have an sfs of OO (and there is a portable Linux version of it which has all the OO programs - not just the main three). There is also a Portable Windows version of OO 3.2 which is from PortableApps.com and it runs under Wine (and may not have Gold status, but seemed fine to me from a cursory check).

With Lucid Puppy Gnumeric loads (for me) instantaneously whereas OO is quite slow, but OO can save with MSOffice extensions so there is total portability of data (except for some macros) between Linux and Windows.

I have not investigated if Gnumeric can import/export from/to MSOffice formats.

As regards size and portability perhaps a USB stick might be the answer (especially for boxes with USB 2 or 3) - perhaps in conjunction with a CD for older machines (like mine) which cannot boot from a USB stick.

Congratulations on your win and thanks again.

steve_s

#25 Post by steve_s »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi Steve,

Do I correctly understand that you can Emulate a virtual desktop just for Excel (as opposed to for all Wine programs)? I have a minor problem with my tray icons (for inactive Wine programs) whether in Full Screen or Virtual mode and I wonder if you have a similar display problem with any of your programs? Your eyesight is doubtless good, but I would set my virtual box larger than 800 x 600.

I have an sfs of OO (and there is a portable Linux version of it which has all the OO programs - not just the main three). There is also a Portable Windows version of OO 3.2 which is from PortableApps.com and it runs under Wine (and may not have Gold status, but seemed fine to me from a cursory check).

With Lucid Puppy Gnumeric loads (for me) instantaneously whereas OO is quite slow, but OO can save with MSOffice extensions so there is total portability of data (except for some macros) between Linux and Windows.

I have not investigated if Gnumeric can import/export from/to MSOffice formats.

As regards size and portability perhaps a USB stick might be the answer (especially for boxes with USB 2 or 3) - perhaps in conjunction with a CD for older machines (like mine) which cannot boot from a USB stick.

Congratulations on your win and thanks again.
Thanks on the congrat's, Sir Jasper.

Yes, I set a virtual desktop only for Excel. Just select it like you are going to mess with the libraries, then change virtual desktop as needed. It is the only one that I have running in Virtual right now.

Yes, gnumeric can import/export .xls files no problem. It and scalc (openoffice calc) make dealing with Excel unnecessary, really, I was just being stuborn in getting it to run.

Yeah, with Puppy you can use the sfs's for just about anything...I'm thinking make an sfs of this version of MSOffice and use it with a remastered livecd. I'm using wine right now as an sfs...for that matter, even though I don't have to, I'm using cabextract as a sfs too.

I'm just open to ideas from the Puppy crew to see if there is something I didn't think of as far as being portable goes...they always surprise me.

8)

steve_s

#26 Post by steve_s »

All right. Regarding portability, went with a livecd of Puppy 4.0 and a usb flash drive that has a save file on it and a wine sfs file. Thanks to Puppy if I want to use Office where ever on any computer I'm good. 8)

steve_s

#27 Post by steve_s »

Ha! Just got it to work on KDPUP too...[insert evil Puppian laugh, aka mad genius] 8)
Attachments
office-kdpup1.jpg
(59.38 KiB) Downloaded 1555 times

steve_s

#28 Post by steve_s »

Some follow up: I got this running on both KDPup and KDPup lite but on BOTH all works fine except for Publisher which crashes as soon as you try and do anything with it, like open a document, etc.

All others, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, seem quite stable in those versions.

The ONLY one that I've got going so far that is very, very stable is Puppy 4.0 with the first version of wine that I posted with the initial instructions and the Excel variation of virtual screen.

AND I've gotten that Puppy 4.0 with MSOffice onto an ISO of 477MB. By Puppy standards its huge but it really is just the stuff from this thread and Opera added to Puppy 4.0.

Obviously I can't post the ISO but I'll post more results on testing that iso out along with pic's later this weekend.

All you Americans enjoy the Labor day weekend! 8)

ttuuxxx

#29 Post by ttuuxxx »

I had ms office 2003 working on wifes PC last year, actually ran nice. But the only issue I had is the font rendering wasn't all that great, Even after I used MS fonts. She didn't like the font look either and decided not to use puppy, grrrrrrrr took me forever to set her up. Oh well
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

steve_s

#30 Post by steve_s »

ttuuxxx wrote:I had ms office 2003 working on wifes PC last year, actually ran nice. But the only issue I had is the font rendering wasn't all that great, Even after I used MS fonts. She didn't like the font look either and decided not to use puppy, grrrrrrrr took me forever to set her up. Oh well
ttuuxxx
Ha! Aren't wives awesome? ;-) Yeah, the font smoothing thing that Vovchik posted was very helpful. That doesn't really bother me all that much, but I did notice after applying his fix.

ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

Thanks steve_s I'll try that one next time I rebuild her pc :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

steve_s

#32 Post by steve_s »

First round of testing the remaster:

First of all, MSOffice survived the remaster and everything is stable, opens, can do documents, first testing is good. One interesting quirk which I'll mention in a minute.

Secondly: notes for mounting an iso then booting as a frugal **Edit**make certain to specify in /boot/grub/menu.lst on the kernel line psubdir=(whatever your subdirectory is) or it will try to run the last run pup_400.sfs file and make you choose a save file every time. For example psubdir=puppy4

Now, as far as the quirk that I mentioned before: whenever I run Publisher and try to start a new flyer or website or whatever, it tries to INSTALL MSOffice, and shows the intial installer. ?? How weird is that. I just hit cancel, cancel, and ended it, then Publisher continued on along fine. (update)

Also, after a remaster, Word says, "It can't find the "Normal" file" so just save a blank file as normal, it tells you where to save it, then it works fine.

No problems anywhere else. Next test I'm going to open a bunch of previously made documents and post the results on this frugal, but I don't predict any problems. Looks like the MSOffice2003/Puppy Linux 4.0 remaster has been successful at 477MB. 8)

Oh, I'm posting from the remaster right now....
Attachments
remaster-screenie1.jpg
(81.45 KiB) Downloaded 1646 times
Last edited by steve_s on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 18:53, edited 2 times in total.

steve_s

Creating a PDF with this Settup

#33 Post by steve_s »

In the past, it was basically impossible to look at Publisher files (*.pub) in Linux.

But even running Publisher in windows, if I wanted to convert it to pdf, I had to have another program that acted as a pdf printer to allow that to work (something like this).

But with this settup now, I can open all my Publisher files, then when I want them in pdf format, I hit print and the first on my Puppy Linux list is CUPS/PDF, select it, print it and it creates a pdf where I want it created. Easy...awesome. 8)
Attachments
remaster-screenie2.jpg
(95.69 KiB) Downloaded 1587 times

steve_s

#34 Post by steve_s »

And, just FYI, same holds true to PowerPoint which can also be a difficult thing to handle in Linux without a settup like this...pdf'ing is just as easy.
Attachments
remaster-screenie3.jpg
(91.07 KiB) Downloaded 1572 times

steve_s

#35 Post by steve_s »

Further testing: previous mentioned Publisher "install" quirk: it only occurs on first attempt to run an internal template (i.e. website design template) on initial boot. In other words, it does not occur again if you keep Publisher open and try then try to run the website design template again for a new design; Publisher works just fine at that point and doesn't try to install MSOffice again. 8)