Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 12:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
sfeeley

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2012, 14:03    Post subject:  

This is an old thread, but I'll post since it still seems to be the definitive one for Microsoft Office

several posts back (and about a year ago) I used the instructions to install MSOFFICE 97. Then I mentioned that it seemed to run well but that wine was a system drag.

Later this year, I got a newer laptop, installed wine, and this time installed MSOFFICE 2003. It seemed to run great--better even than office97. For a long time I attributed this better performace to the fact that this is a newer computer.

Well, today, I copied over the wine installation with Office2003 to the older computer, and what do you know? It works better than 97!

On word97 the processor would cycle between 3%-100% depending on what I was doing. Typing more than a few words at a time would shoot things up to 100%. Performance seemed fine, but the fan would blow.

Now on the same older computer, word2003 runs at a steady 6%-11% with none of the outrageous spikes.

Office2003 is much much larger. But I think most of that is the 350M of extra fonts that comes with it.

Hope this helps somebody.
Maybe there is a flaw in the described method when applied to office97? Maybe office2003 really was an improvement.

EDIT: word2003 runs higher CPU on much larger documents (50 plus pages 150plus footnotes), more in the 60-65% CPU range, but still better than before.

(and if anyone is wondering-- its those footnotes, which libreoffice and abiword tend to mess up, that have me using word)

EDIT #2:
Weird: with word2003, I can't copy something that I composed into my webbased email. (I can copy to abiword, and from there to my email). I can do this with word97
Page 4 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: