HOWTO run MSOffice 2003 in Puppy Linux

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sfeeley

#46 Post by sfeeley »

This is an old thread, but I'll post since it still seems to be the definitive one for Microsoft Office

several posts back (and about a year ago) I used the instructions to install MSOFFICE 97. Then I mentioned that it seemed to run well but that wine was a system drag.

Later this year, I got a newer laptop, installed wine, and this time installed MSOFFICE 2003. It seemed to run great--better even than office97. For a long time I attributed this better performace to the fact that this is a newer computer.

Well, today, I copied over the wine installation with Office2003 to the older computer, and what do you know? It works better than 97!

On word97 the processor would cycle between 3%-100% depending on what I was doing. Typing more than a few words at a time would shoot things up to 100%. Performance seemed fine, but the fan would blow.

Now on the same older computer, word2003 runs at a steady 6%-11% with none of the outrageous spikes.

Office2003 is much much larger. But I think most of that is the 350M of extra fonts that comes with it.

Hope this helps somebody.
Maybe there is a flaw in the described method when applied to office97? Maybe office2003 really was an improvement.

EDIT: word2003 runs higher CPU on much larger documents (50 plus pages 150plus footnotes), more in the 60-65% CPU range, but still better than before.

(and if anyone is wondering-- its those footnotes, which libreoffice and abiword tend to mess up, that have me using word)

EDIT #2:
Weird: with word2003, I can't copy something that I composed into my webbased email. (I can copy to abiword, and from there to my email). I can do this with word97