How to change desktop icon font SIZE (not the COLOR)?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhecht

How to change desktop icon font SIZE (not the COLOR)?

#1 Post by jhecht »

Another thread here advises one to change the desktop icon font SIZE and COLOR by right-clicking on any icon and then choosing Rox-filer>Options>Pinboard.

In my freshly installed Puppy v. 1.07, the Pinboard DOES allow me to change the font COLOR, but not the SIZE. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

John Hechtman
www.zenarrow.com

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

Rox 2.4.1 (dotpup package) can do that

you could try Set Global Font Size in the Control panel menu

#3 Post by Guest »

GuestToo wrote:Rox 2.4.1 (dotpup package) can do that

you could try Set Global Font Size in the Control panel menu
2 for 2 on your bugfixes for me GT! Rox 2.4.1 did it. The 'Set Global Font Size' does NOT affect the desktop icon font size - although you'd think it would/should...

Now if you could just remind me of how to REMOVE the desktop background image? I found it once but have forgotten it. And it's NOT the 'Set Desktop Image' option - unless I'm using it wrongly. That does not give you the option of NO image.

This is not just eye candy for me. I'm almost blind and setting the fonts/sizes/colors in certain ways is the only way I can see well enough to use the computer...

Many thanks!

John Hechtman
www.zenarrow.com

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you can clear the wallpaper in the newer versions of Rox by right clicking a desktop icon, click Backdrop, then click the Clear button

i think you can set the background colour in Rox Options, Pinboard ... click the Background button

i think it's important to try to provide support for all people who use Puppy, including people who have never used Linux before and advanced users and people with vision problems and as much as possible, people who speak other languages than English

some of the themes in my Icewm package have extra large fonts and i put a large font rxvt/console/terminal window in the Icewm Run menu too

#5 Post by Guest »

GuestToo wrote:you can clear the wallpaper in the newer versions of Rox by right clicking a desktop icon, click Backdrop, then click the Clear button

i think you can set the background colour in Rox Options, Pinboard ... click the Background button

i think it's important to try to provide support for all people who use Puppy, including people who have never used Linux before and advanced users and people with vision problems and as much as possible, people who speak other languages than English

some of the themes in my Icewm package have extra large fonts and i put a large font rxvt/console/terminal window in the Icewm Run menu too
Right again GT, you are a BIG help! What's confusing is that the Pinboard options OVER-RIDE the 'Desktop Background Image' and also the 'Desktop Solid Color' options in the 'Control Panel' section of the main meru. Can I edit the (now) non-functional options out of the 'Control Panel' menu?

Nor would I expect a file manager (Rox) to be given control of what are really GUI functions. The Xorg/JVM setup is new to me - I'm more used to Gnome and KDE.

I totally agree with you about making Puppy functional for everyone - and it's well on the way! :) My goal is to set up a Puppy version similar to Chubby Puppy, with all the options my computer clients need pre-set, re-master the Live CD, and then start migrating Windoze users over to the pup.

One last question - is it possible to BOLD the system fonts that are controlled by the 'Global Font Size' option? That would be very helpful. Or add some of your fonts to use? How would I do that?

Thanks again!

John Hechtman
www.zenarrow.com

MU

#6 Post by MU »

Manipulating fonts:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4994

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4713

Other settings depend for example on the Windowmanager or the program.
Please give more details what you use and what you want to manipulate.

For example for the JWM-Desktop (Puppys default), edit /root/.jwmrc

Mark

#7 Post by Guest »

I'm using JWM/Xorg for the GUI. I just want to BOLD the fonts that are used in menus, titlebars, etc. The size change option in the global font settings works fine. Don't even need different fonts - just the bold option.

Thanks for the help & threads!

John Hechtman
www.zenarrow.com

MU

#8 Post by MU »

The font-setting just changes the resolution, but it can not change attributes like bold or font-type.

Those just can be changed as described above.
Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

What's confusing is that the Pinboard options OVER-RIDE the 'Desktop Background Image'
yes, Puppy uses xli to set the background, but the background can also be set from Icewm or Fluxbox and will over-ride xli, and Rox 2.x will over-ride Icewm and Fluxbox ... yes, it can be confusing
Can I edit the (now) non-functional options out of the 'Control Panel' menu?
yes, the menus are easy to edit in a text editor

jwm: /root/.jwmrc
fvwm95: /root/.fvwm95rc
icewm: /root/icewm/menu
Nor would I expect a file manager (Rox) to be given control of what are really GUI functions
Rox filer is providing the desktop backgrounds and icons ... many window managers like Jwm and Fvwm95 do not provide support for desktop backgrounds/icons ... if Rox didn't supply the desktop support, then you would have to run another program to provide a desktop (assuming you want desktop icons)

Gnome and KDE do provide desktop icons ... but they are desktop environments, not simple window managers

is it possible to BOLD the system fonts
i don't know much about the Global Font Size wizard ... you can choose what font you like with Rox 2.4.1, and some of the choices are bold fonts ... screenshot

jhecht

#10 Post by jhecht »

Again, thanks for the insights... How it SEEMS to work is that the Rox-filer> Options> Pinboard> Custom fonts selector thingy works for the desktop icon fonts, but NOT for the fonts in toolbars or menus.

OTOH, the Control panel> Set global font size option does menus & pulldowns, but NOT desktop icon fonts. Earlier in this thread there's info on how to set font attributes for the gfs option - but I've not tried it yet.

I really hope I'm not mis-informing you, but that's how it's working for me, atm.

jhecht

#11 Post by jhecht »

MU wrote:Manipulating fonts:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4994

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4713

Other settings depend for example on the Windowmanager or the program.
Please give more details what you use and what you want to manipulate.

For example for the JWM-Desktop (Puppys default), edit /root/.jwmrc

Mark
I checked out the /root/.jwmrc file by doing a search on it for 'font'. I'm not sure it's the one I want to edit, nor quite how to edit it if it is. What I'm trying to do is to bold all the fonts that are re-sized by the 'Set global font size' option. This seems to include fonts for program toolbars, within each progrm, is that correct?

I also looked at the threads you posted about adding fonts, and dealing with anti-aliasing. Seems good, but quite elaborate. Is there a simple(r) way to bold the menu and toolbar fonts? I'm quite happy with the appearance of the fonts thenselves - just want the letters a few pixels thicker for easy viewin' (grin).

Thanks again! :)

John Hechtman
www.zenarrow.com

MU

#12 Post by MU »

jhecht wrote:What I'm trying to do is to bold all the fonts that are re-sized by the 'Set global font size' option. This seems to include fonts for program toolbars, within each progrm, is that correct?
No.

Because Puppys font-size Tool does not alter any font-entries.
Instead it manipulates the resolution of your XServer.
This is more like "zooming in/out", but not llike "make something bold".

To change the font in .jwmrc , replace
<Font antialias="false">-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>

with
<Font antialias="false">-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>

But that just affects the JWM-menu, not the applications.
Applications use several different toolkits, so there is no central tool to change their fonts.

You just could alter the fonts for all Gtk -apps OR all Gtk2 -apps.
For that you need to alter /root/.gtkrc as described in the links above.

Or use a grafical tool, but I did not test, if it is compatible with Puppy 107, it was made for an older one:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2137

It affects for example leafpad, beaver, abiword.
Mark

jhecht

#13 Post by jhecht »

MU wrote: Because Puppys font-size Tool does not alter any font-entries.
Instead it manipulates the resolution of your XServer.
This is more like "zooming in/out", but not llike "make something bold".
Yes, that is exactly the difference I'm trying to overcome.
MU wrote: To change the font in .jwmrc , replace
<Font antialias="false">-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>

with
<Font antialias="false">-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>

But that just affects the JWM-menu, not the applications.
Applications use several different toolkits, so there is no central tool to change their fonts.
I did this, and it worked PERFECTLY! Not only are my menu fonts bolded, but Mozilla picked up the bolding as well (grin).
MU wrote: You just could alter the fonts for all Gtk -apps OR all Gtk2 -apps.
For that you need to alter /root/.gtkrc as described in the links above.

Or use a grafical tool, but I did not test, if it is compatible with Puppy 107, it was made for an older one:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2137

It affects for example leafpad, beaver, abiword.
Mark
In my setup, it seems the path is etc/gtk. There is also a gtk-2.0 folder. But looking at the file gtkrc.basic, (the theme I use), I see the following lines of code:

Code: Select all

style "default"
{
  font = "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
Could I get REALLY lucky, and just be able to change 'medium' to 'bold', as I did in the .jwmrc file? That would be awesome! :D

Thanks!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

jhecht

#14 Post by jhecht »

Oh, and the reason(s) I didn't try your graphical theme changer tool, is/are that you weren't sure it would work. And also, I like the basic theme - it's nice & clean - just want to make it easier to see...

Thanks,

MU

#15 Post by MU »

yes, try that.
My Dotpup uses another location in /root.

I just installed KDE (details: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5899 )

KDE is based on "QT".
It has many applications, that use the same fonts: editor, webbrowser and lots more.
It has an own controlcenter to setup colours, fonts for all KDE-applications.

While Puppy is a collection of programs based on many different toolkits (Tk, Gtk1 Gtk2), KDE just uses QT and so can give a quite "coherent" representation.

If your computer is not too slow (minimum maybe 400 mhz,and lots of RAM), you should try it.

Mark

jhecht

#16 Post by jhecht »

YAY, I changed 'medium' to 'bold' in the file gtkrc.basic, (the theme I use), and now every program I've tried is bolded! Neato - just change two words in two files - no need to add new fonts, make complicated changes - tres cool!

I know KDE well - and have mixed feelings about it. Iterations of KDE tend to have 'too much of everything' and needs to be slimmed down a bit, to run and look clean. I prefer Gnome - which seems to not work with Puppy from what I've read here.

Also KDE has a hard time at 800x600 rez - my preferred rez. Many of the dialog boxes are oversize, and bleed off the screen. I've reported and verified the bug for them several times - no fix yet.

I'd prefer the approach of tweaking JWM/Xorg, as I want to retain as much speed as possible, and keep a small install.

Thanks!