Classic OSs to run in your browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Classic OSs to run in your browser

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

At first glance, this would appear to be in the wrong section. But since these classic operating system emulators all run directly in the browser itself, that's why I've posted this in the 'Browsers & Internet' section.

It's a MakeUseOf article, which you can find here:-

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-classic ... s-browser/

To access each one, just click on the title above each image.

The Macintosh ones are particularly good. I'm currently in Palemoon - the Amiga emulator can only currently be accessed via a Chromium 'clone' of some sort, since it requires a 'portable' version of the NaCl 'helper' (the 'Native Client'). And that's exclusive to Chromium clones.....so I haven't yet tried this one.

Be careful with the Windows emulators! They run at a decent speed, but they're as predictably crash-prone in the emulators as they ever were in real life, and will lock the browser up at the drop of a hat. You have been warned.....and may have to resort to Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to regain control of Puppy.

The PC-DOS one I haven't bothered with, since DOS pre-dates my 'serious' computing experience.....I was still messing around with a Commodore 64 during the hey-day of DOS, the 1980's. So I can't comment on that one, I'm afraid. But these are all quite fun, if you've got a chunk of spare time to waste, and a hankering to re-live some of the older operating systems of your youth!

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink: