Distrowatch review 30 August

News, happenings
ICPUG

#16 Post by ICPUG »

Crash,

Interesting. I guess you are using the USB boot to avoid the messing around with Vista's BCD. What/how is the boot setup on the USB?

pistoi0

#17 Post by pistoi0 »

@ crash
Then I make maybe two changes to the boot script to point to the appropriate boot directory.
Could you post a sample boot script and where you place it in this arrangement.

As an aside, I have been using your version of Wakepup2 to run a 1999 Ascentia M (no HD) lappy as a dedicated radio streamer for the past three years or so.

Crash

#18 Post by Crash »

ICPUG and pistoi0,

Thanks for the good words. I'm in the process of writing a description of this setup, but at the rate I'm going I won't be done for a couple of days (I'm not known for being particularly fast). This is all great stuff, and everyone has the opportunity to make a Puppy their own way.

/// Edited October 6:

I put the description here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60595

///

PaulBx1

#19 Post by PaulBx1 »

The usual whine about root but no concrete evidence for the concern
You know, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Since every reviewer ALWAYS complains about this, it might be a good selling point to put in the option of running conventionally, some easy setup switcher (Pizzasgood already did all the work) so they have nothing more to complain about - EVEN IF there is nothing wrong with running a desktop distro as root.

BTW, I played some with PC-BSD and openSuse, with a user "paul" as well as root. I hated all the su and sudo crap. Sure is nice to do it the Puppy way...
One thing that I have noticed is the mind-set of nearly all reviewers -- that they have to install Puppy to hard drive. They don't realise that they have the full functionality and speed just running from CD.
Most people think of liveCDs as a painfully slow way to check out your hardware first and a general quick look-over of the distro. And that's all it's for (they think). They don't realize running with a live CD (or frugal) in Puppy is a viable long-term strategy. Maybe we are not selling that feature of Puppy hard enough.

It's a pretty damn shallow review that doesn't feature a reboot. Par for the course though. A few reviewers seem a little more thorough...

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Most people think of liveCDs as a painfully slow way to check out your hardware first and a general quick look-over of the distro. And that's all it's for (they think). They don't realize running with a live CD (or frugal) in Puppy is a viable long-term strategy. Maybe we are not selling that feature of Puppy hard enough.
All very interesting. I don't think any of the above. I just prefer to run FULL installs for all the reasons I've rehearsed here many times, using my bank of ~50 older, smaller HDs in caddies. As far as I'm concerned, Frugal installs are the worst case scenario as will be abundantly evident from the historical confusion caused by multiple .sfs files, upgrading, etc. and as alluded to by BK on his blog today.
Otherwise, I agree - root is absolutely no problem; I just don't let anyone else near my systems. Notwithstanding, running 'live' has the advantage of no audit trail when you switch off, provided you start up as pfix=ram and decline to save a file.

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Paul wrote:Since every reviewer ALWAYS complains about this, it might be a good selling point to put in the option of running conventionally, some easy setup switcher ...
so they have nothing more to complain about -

EVEN IF there is nothing wrong with running a desktop distro as root.
I think Paul have a very good argument and it should be easy to go root in a safe way for those of us that want to.

I tested an ubuntu variant the other day and me had no idea to read the HDD. I searched for it more than ten minutes to half an hour and had to give up on it.

But what Paul writes here
(Pizzasgood already did all the work)

That only worked for a special older version? Puppy 4.2.1 or something?

Did that one really work with 431 or Lupu 511?

so it would be cool if someone good at doing programming made a version that every reviewer and user felt at home with.

I love Frugal so it would be really sad that that was abandoned.

I have not read Barry's text today because I did not knew about it so thanks for reminding me to read his blog now and then.

I've read Barry's blog entry now and agree that it is a problem there if one upgrade.

I guess it show how far behind me is. I am the residental Noob.

I never upgrade ever. I download the latest version and start all over.

I have put Mozilla outside of pupsave and that way I can keep email in Seamonkey and bookmarks in FF and don't have to start all over with them.

That way an "iso upgrade" goes smooth.

Usual upgrades I never do. But I always try to use one of the latest .iso but have been lazy last months.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Shep

#22 Post by Shep »

Sage wrote:Otherwise, I agree - root is absolutely no problem;
The one time I've struck problems running as root, was when I believed I had write-protected a file so I couldn't accidently absentmindedly edit it (I intend to always make a copy and edit the copy).

Guess what I discovered! chmod -w means zip when you're root. :x :x :x

I can't let the opportunity go by: is there no way to generally make a file read-only by root? (Apart from putting it on a CD, etc. :roll: :roll: )