Xeznet dialup client... is it really easy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
howard

Xeznet dialup client... is it really easy?

#1 Post by howard »

I was hoping that the following instructions from 'Glitchman' would allow me to dial up the Internet with more predictability than with GKDial.

Glitchman: "In Xeznet, create a new Service (delete any old ones.) While in the process of creating the new service, go into Modem Settings and type no next to chat. That's all I had to do to get a working connection. Hopefully it's just something as simple as this."

So I let Puppy's modem wizard find my modem [ttys0], then followed the above instructions. Even before I could try the connection, the following appeared in the 'Status' column: "pppd failure @ <time , date>." Needless to say, I cannot dial out. Does anyone know what's going on here and how to correct?

Also, what is the proper syntax for specifying the location of the modem to Xeznet: '/dev/ttys0', or simply 'ttys0'?
Thanks.
Howard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I made this note in the "How to internet' help page in Puppy:

"Note that when adding an account, the "tty" field and the "speed" field do not need to have anything entered into them as they default to /dev/modem and 115200bps."

After running the Modem Wizard, /dev/modem should be set to point to your modem, for example /dev/ttyS0, so no need to put anything into that field.
If you do though, it would seem that you put in the whole thing "/dev/ttyS0".