Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davec51

Frugal Booting

#16 Post by davec51 »

I tried to make a frugal install right from the iso, as I always do with new versions of Puppy. At first I couldn't boot because I had "root=/dev/sda1" instead of " . ./hda1." Then the boot went further. I put the main Puppy file directly in the root of the partition instead of in my "legacyos" folder, and it went a bit further. But I still can't get all the way to the desktop.

svgt

Can't boot from hda1 with full install

#17 Post by svgt »

Hi,

I am twiddling half an hour with boot trials. The live cd is booting without problems.I did the full install, called here coexist.

I limited the installation to exactly one ext2 partition and a swap file. nothing else,

First I got from grub (in mbr) -file not found - because vmlinuz was not in /boot/vmlinuz. I changed it to /vmlinuz. The next message was a problem with initrd.

Kernel panic - no init found - proposal to hand over init= parameter

My grub parameters in menu.lst are:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal

Regards
Svgt

DFI AZ30-TL - 1.7GHz single core Athlon - 768 MB RAM - 7 years old

john biles

#18 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,

Legacy OS is built on Puppy 2.14 and the only major change is the updating of glibc 2.3.5 to Puppy series 3's glibc 2.5 like ttuuxxx did with 2.14x

Nothing else system wise had been changed. So anything ttuuxxx incorporated in to 2.14x from later puppy series isn't included in Legacy OS sorry!
Am I right in assuming that using a subdirectory might cause the problem? Puppies of series 2 didn't have that option, yet, if I recall correctly.
Does Legacy? Ttuuxxx's 214X does have the subdirectory option, though.

Oh, and PMEDIA=idehd makes no difference at all.
Hello wuwei, Legacy OS doesn't have the subdirectory option like ttuuxxx's 2.14x sorry!
At first I couldn't boot because I had "root=/dev/sda1" instead of " . ./hda1." Then the boot went further.
Hello davec51, Legacy OS still uses kernel 2.6.18.1 and internal Hard Drives are still seen as "hda" not "sda" like later kernels use.

In testing I use 4 PC's ranging from a 500mhz celeron to a 3ghz Pentium 4, 2 Laptops / 1 800mhz Pentium 3 and 1 duo core 1.8ghz 3 year old Laptop and all boot straight from the CD drive? I see some users are passing on commands etc when booting up from the CD. what happens if you just let the CD boot normally without doing anything?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

James C

#19 Post by James C »

I've booted Legacy OS on 3 different machines, the two lower spec boxes I let boot normally.....no boot parameters added. The other box (2.6 dual-core w/2.5 gb ram booted pfix=ram.

James C

#20 Post by James C »

For what its worth, Legacy OS has booted on 4 of 4 computers here.I grabbed another box off the shelf, booted pfix=ram and posting with it now.
AMD Duron 1.4 ghz w/384 mb ram and 1gb swap.

Using a lot of ram and swap but it's running pretty quick. :)

sinc

#21 Post by sinc »

only tried a manual frugal install but was not able to boot. i tried in a subdirectory and at / and was unsuccessful ion both situations. same as 8 bit described for the frugal install.

James C

#22 Post by James C »

Me again................... :lol:

Went ahead and did a full install on the Duron box from the last post.Because I edit menu.lst instead of reinstalling grub I moved vmlinux into a new "boot" directory and messed with the syntax of menu.lst and it's booting and running fine. :)

Resource usage dropped dramatically after Legacy OS was actually installed too.
Attachments
full install.png
(140.02 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times

svgt

#23 Post by svgt »

Me again ....

James C: Please write your menu.lst

I moved vmlinuz to the /boot folder. Then I added to my menu.lst

initrd /initrd.gz

With or without this statement I got kernel panic. There is this screenshot with initrd:

MinHundHettePerro

#24 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Booting from CD: OK :)
Booting from manual frugal inst. on hdc13: not OK :(
Created device nodes hdc9 - hdc15 in initrd.gz_/dev - now boots from frugal inst. on hdc13 :).

Yes, I know, I have quite a few partitions :).

Just in case someone else tried a manual frugal inst. on an "unsupported" partition:
Available device nodes in initrd suggest that frugal installations should be limited to hda1-15, hdb1-8, hdc1-8.

fwiw and hth :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Roger Hunter

#25 Post by Roger Hunter »

Still no joy.

This thing just refuses to boot.

I got past the first failure and ended up on another one but no keyboard response there either.

Then I downloaded the iso again and burned it to a DVD thinking it was a bit too large.

Same result.

Very strange, especially since 2.14 is my old standby and has never failed to load on any of my systems.

Roger

Roger Hunter

#26 Post by Roger Hunter »

Tried again, same result.

Tried booting on a Dell D600 laptop. Same result.

The error message now is "access beyond end of device"

then

"squashfs error sb_bread failed 0xa9080"
"unable to read uid/gid table"

and eventually kernel panic.

Roger

technowomble

#27 Post by technowomble »

DL'd and burned Legacy OS on my main Linux box, tried to test it but got the ' cannot find Puppy... ' message. Tried the same CD in my ca. 2000 laptop ( for which it was intended ) running as live CD ( Puppy pfix=ram ) and it booted OK. I've had problems testing Puppy on the ' big box ' before, Quirky NOP booted, but video set up gave ' out of range ', while it worked - at the second attempt - on the laptop. Yet it seems quite happy with 5 series puppies Go figure!

James C

#28 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Me again ....

James C: Please write your menu.lst

I moved vmlinuz to the /boot folder. Then I added to my menu.lst

initrd /initrd.gz

With or without this statement I got kernel panic. There is this screenshot with initrd:

Here is what I'm using......

title Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
root (hd0,0)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Puppy Linux 430 Foxy 3 full install in sda7
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 pmedia=atahd nosmp

title Puppy Linux 431 NOP full install in sda8
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 pmedia=atahd nosmp

title Lucid Puppy 501 frugal in sda7
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
kernel /puppy501/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pdev=sda7 pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy501 nosmp
initrd /puppy501/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 432 frugal in sda8
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
kernel /puppy432/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pdev=sda8 pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy432 nosmp
initrd /puppy432/initrd.gz

title Legacy OS 2010 full install in hda12
root (hd0,11)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda12 pmedia=atahd

I made a "boot" directory, and put vmlinuz there like the newer Puppies.Posting from it now.
Attachments
filesystem.png
(98.11 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

I got this advice from MinHund...
if you put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in /boot and pup_214.sfs and zdrv_214.sfs in /, then this menu.lst entry

title Legacy OS
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PKEYS=se
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

should boot a frugal inst. on hda2 (GRUB (hd0,1)) (with swedish keyboard layout).
So if you need to do frugal install try that one. I worked for me on a HP Desktop
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

svgt

#30 Post by svgt »

Hello James,

In your root directory I count 17 files and folders. But I have got only six things:

boot lost&found idehd initrd.gz pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs. Why is there this difference?

Why did you make a /boot directory? In my full installation /boot was there from the beginning, with /grub folder inside. My menu.lst is for Legacy the same, except this atahd parameter.

Regards
Svgt

James C

#31 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Hello James,

In your root directory I count 17 files and folders. But I have got only six things:

boot lost&found idehd initrd.gz pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs. Why is there this difference?

Why did you make a /boot directory? In my full installation /boot was there from the beginning, with /grub folder inside. My menu.lst is for Legacy the same, except this atahd parameter.

Regards
Svgt
You have the files for a frugal install listed there.For a frugal install there is the "idehd" file, and initrd.gz ,pup_214.sfs, zdrv_214.sfs and vmlinuz...........a boot directory isn't needed.

A full install should look like my screenshot in the other post.
Attachments
legacy os disc-mounted.png
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 1691 times

James C

#32 Post by James C »

I've switched over and running a frugal install of Puppy 432 now, posting a screenie of the frugal install directory.
Attachments
frugal 432 install.png
(103.11 KiB) Downloaded 1661 times

svgt

Success with my installation

#33 Post by svgt »

Hello James,

Thank you for help and the right hints. I did a frugal installation by mistake. I repeated the installation as full hdd installation. Now I have got a fair and beautiful LegacyOs at my machine. Not any intervention or change of menu.lst or folders.

There are two crucial points in the installation procedure. I have this idea for improvement:

When there is the question, where are the LegacyOs installation files, cd or directory, you get a surprising fatal message for the cd selection. Then you should mount it, and you should point at the correct files vmlinuz etc. This is not user friendly. And I stumbled upon it. In Puppy 431 and Lucid 51 this point is easier to manage.

The decision window for frugal or full installation doesn't help. The text is extremely confusing. The options 1 and 2 are listed in the reverse order. For newbies too difficult.

James C

Re: Success with my installation

#34 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Hello James,

Thank you for help and the right hints. I did a frugal installation by mistake. I repeated the installation as full hdd installation. Now I have got a fair and beautiful LegacyOs at my machine. Not any intervention or change of menu.lst or folders.

There are two crucial points in the installation procedure. I have this idea for improvement:

When there is the question, where are the LegacyOs installation files, cd or directory, you get a surprising fatal message for the cd selection. Then you should mount it, and you should point at the correct files vmlinuz etc. This is not user friendly. And I stumbled upon it. In Puppy 431 and Lucid 51 this point is easier to manage.

The decision window for frugal or full installation doesn't help. The text is extremely confusing. The options 1 and 2 are listed in the reverse order. For newbies too difficult.
Glad to hear of your success. :)

I agree also, the installer needs some attention. The newer installers are much easier to understand and use.

alfa and omega

Legacy Boot!

#35 Post by alfa and omega »

Hello John!!

I downloaded the Legacy today and gave the boot on my computer and not run. I believe it's because my computer is very current. Family PC 485 80GB HD 1GB RAM and dual core processor 2.25 GH.
I use the mini TeenPup beta and runs normally.
Is there any way you can help me so that I can boot from the CDROM?
Thanks and congratulations!

God bless you!!

Alfa and omega from Brazil!