Legacy OS (TEENpup) Feedback is it booting?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#46 Post by john biles »

Hello wuwei,
I always do a full install not frugal Sorry! Is it possible to see if a full install to hard Drive works or will it upset something else already on your hard drive?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

wuwei

#47 Post by wuwei »

Thanks for your answer John.

I can try a full install. Since there is a dedicated partition for Legacy, it should not mess up anythig else.
The existing /boot/grub on another partition can be saved beforehand. I will try it tomorrow.

Roy

#48 Post by Roy »

John,

Thanks for responding. After installing your included rt61 wireless pet and rebooting the CD with a save file on my HD, I am still freezing up when initiating a wireless network scan. Rutilt shows:

Code: Select all

Critical error:
Can't trigger scanning.
Code: 100
I did, however manage to install that same wireless .pet on Ttuxxx's 214XRC5 and had success with Pwireless for an unencrypted connection (rt61 does not support WPA but rt2561/rt61 pci does). Ttuuxxx's traditional Network Wizard still showed 'No modems detected', even with the Pwireless connection.

This desktop is 5+ years old, but I only recently (this year) found a wireless card that was linux-compatible. Maybe the card is just too new?

-Roy

wuwei

#49 Post by wuwei »

This kind of a failure hasn't happened for me in a long time, but I can't get this legacy Puppy to boot.

I am shy to do a full install, because I have grub on another partition and in the MBR. Don't want to mess this up.

Then I spend about an hour+ to find grub stanzas for a manual frugal install and tried several of them. Without success unfortunately. The boot procedure stops already at loading the relevant hdb3 partition.

Next was a start from CD with the goal to create a pup_save file. This works fine until I am trying to install a nVidia driver. (Desktop is awfully shifted to the right without one).
Even the wellminded search does not detect a nVidia-96 driver for kernel 2.6.18.This "InstallNvidia-Puppy-2.12-and-2.13.pup" is as close as I can find any. Yet, that results in a black screen and no way out except by cutting the power.

Well? Guess I have to go without LegacyOS :cry:

john biles

#50 Post by john biles »

Hello wuwei,
Have a play with the 3D Control Center Dotpup as well as the Nvidia Dotpup while running live and see if this helps. Someone posted a Driver problem like yours in relation to TEENpup 2009 Legacy and got it working. May be you'll have same luck to. :D

Link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/3D-Control-Center/

Roger Hunter

#51 Post by Roger Hunter »

Hi John;

The problem I've had with Legacy not booting seems to be related to my second HD, a 250Gb drive.

With it unplugged, Legacy boots up just fine although the background image is missing.

Roger

john biles

#52 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
Let me know if you decide to use Legacy OS long term. (Not Play with it for a day or 2 and then distro hop to something else.)
Example you set it up on an old PC installed to Hard Drive and the background problem continues even though you've changed the background.

Roger Hunter

#53 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

Sorry, I'm unable to use linux full time.

My programming language doesn't work in linux and there's no driver for my mouse.

Roger

retry3

#54 Post by retry3 »

Hey John Biles -

Legacy boots and runs from CD, using it now for this post.-

HP pavilion notebook zv5120us - 1.2gHz-512RAM-ATI Radeon-80 Gb hd.

Wish I could help more but I am limited.

Regards,

Retry3

Roger Hunter

#55 Post by Roger Hunter »

John;

Legacy lives!

My problem turned out to be a problem of some sort with the last partitions on the 250Gb drive.

Once I deleted them the rest fell into line.

Legacy OS installed with the dead leaf background. But the tutorials died too. Neither one works and there's no Ethernet setup so I'm using it as the menu holder for booting the system.

Roger

maxpro4u

#56 Post by maxpro4u »

I just did a frugal install of Legacy on my old compaq laptop. It booted fine but I can't connect. It has a D-Link DFE 690 TXD in slot2 but is not seen nor a driver. Can I use the driver from 5.1 (which works)and where is it located?
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

ttuuxxx

#57 Post by ttuuxxx »

maxpro4u wrote:I just did a frugal install of Legacy on my old compaq laptop. It booted fine but I can't connect. It has a D-Link DFE 690 TXD in slot2 but is not seen nor a driver. Can I use the driver from 5.1 (which works)and where is it located?
not usually, its compiled against the specific kernel that lagacy OS uses, There is a simple how-to at the dlink website, as long as you have the devx installed, it should be easy.
http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/defaul ... DFE-690TXD
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

svgt

Usb mouse is not handled

#58 Post by svgt »

I have installed Legacy on a 12 years old desktop pc. There is no usb plug-in at the mainboard, but there is a pci card for usbs.

During over 20 trials the usb mouse is not recognized. But sometimes it works. How can I manage to get the usb mouse for sure?

svgt

Dual boot with Puppy 431 - confusion with hda sda

#59 Post by svgt »

I want to run a LegacyOS in a dual boot system with Puppy 431 on the same drive. I did not find a way to start both Puppies from the same menu.lst.

Because of the different notations for the disk i must distinguish between hda and sda. It is not possible to start 431 from the LegacyOS menu.lst with sdax.

john biles

#60 Post by john biles »

Hello svgt,

Does a PS/2 mouse work? can you use that? Anyone else had this mouse problem and can provide a fix?

To anyone dual booting series 2 and 4 Puppy's together have any advice in how you configured the 2 to boot together with grub and may be attach a copy of your 1st menu.

svgt

#61 Post by svgt »

Hello John,

No, I have no PS/2 plug-in. Now I choose the third usb plug-in of the pci card. This works in most cases.
In this old machine with 256MB ram the Karamba sidebar crashes. In newer machines with more ram there is no problem. I would appreciate to use the sidebar. Is there any work around?

Sage

#62 Post by Sage »

Use a serial mouse! May not be fashionable but does exactly the same and you'll find bagfuls of the blighters, under beds, in skips, w.h.y. Most decent boards still have a COM port header even if it's not brought to the backplane.

john biles

#63 Post by john biles »

svgt,
Karamba doesn't crash on my Pentium III 800 Mhz 192mb's of RAM test / development Laptop or any other PC ? If you run karamba from terminal what errors does it list when crashing?

svgt

#64 Post by svgt »

john:

I found these messages of KDE crash handler:

Code: Select all

ls found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(no debugging symbols found)

[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1236179264 (LWP 2394)]

(no debugging symbols found)
[KCrash handler]
#5  0xb7f19896 in karamba::parseConfig () from /usr/lib/libkaramba.so.0
#6  0xbfc4384f in ?? ()

john biles

#65 Post by john biles »

Hello svgt,
I don't have an answer on this one, very strange!