How to install Soulseek?

Booting, installing, newbie
G6atW6rmOur6boros

How to install Soulseek?

#1 Post by G6atW6rmOur6boros »

I'm trying to install soulseek or pysoulseek or nicotine or anything that is similar to soulseek so I can download music. Are there any pet files for any of these programs to install on Puppy Linux? Most of the files that I've been trying to download for pysoulseek are tar.gz or GZ files, which I extract into a Directory and from there I'm clueless on how to install it. Anyone sure on how to do this?

Thanks, G6at

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Ok, I dont know about these programs specifically, but most tarballs already have a file structure..Merge the directories with the existing ones in your Puppy...Or, in most cases, you can just unpack it to the top level directory, "/" and they will merge themselves... :!: Warning, you cannot uninstall a program done this way...Well, not easily anyhow...
I believe the newer Puppies have a tgz2pet program that will make a pet of them for you, which resolves menu entries and links it to PPM, so you can check dependancies with the Package Manager...and have uninstall capabilities...

Also, consider running Wine, which allows you to run Windoze software on Puppy..I D/L with UTorrent all the time....
Still cant get ITunes to run right tho.... :twisted:

Also:
Any time you need help, give as much info as you can...ie...
Basic machine specs
Puppy version you are running
Software you are trying to run/install
Any error messages you encounter, etc...

Thx :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

GustavoYz

#3 Post by GustavoYz »

Nihao!
I have Soulseek installed under Wine and works perfectly... 8)

This is the way that i do it:
First install Wine from the Quickpet icon, and then go to this link:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... on&iId=949
and download the "157 NS 13c" version (works fine on here).

Dont know anything about Museek, but I made Nicotine run once and does not like to me at all (many bugs, the program crashes about 3 times on five minutes, ugly experience).
This is the only way that i recommend to you, because works (I was not sure if i can distribute Soulseek.exe to you and only put a link :wink: ).

I hope help somebody with this... 8)

Zaijan!.

bugman-2.0

#4 Post by bugman-2.0 »

I too was interested in Soulseek. They offer a Linux version which uncompresses into an executable which worked perfectly in Tahrpup 6.0.5.