For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#136 Post by jemimah »

Release Candidate 1, now available.

http://puppeee.com/files/puppeee4.4rc1/

jamesw

Problems creating save file

#137 Post by jamesw »

I'm trying the 4.4RC1 and have a problem, but it's most likely just to do with my newbie incompetence that Puppeee.

I have done a frugal install onto the SSD in my Eee 701 (partition sda1, enlarged to fill the disk and formatted to ext2). So far so good, but it won't create a save file. PupSaveConfig finds sda1 no problem, and I specify that it is to save there, but on shutdown it always says that the session is not being saved.

I don't know whether it is related, but I also have no /mnt/home - /mnt contains various other things, but not home. And if I go to /dev and click on /sda1, it says "I don't know how to open '/dev/sda1'". If I click on the sda1 drive icon on the desktop, it opens the filer window with all the expected files in it, but the window title is /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2.

I have searched the forum for enlightenment, but to no avail...

jemimah

#138 Post by jemimah »

RC2 should be out shortly with an upgraded pupsaveconfig. Please let me know if that solves your issue.

jemimah

#139 Post by jemimah »

Last edited by jemimah on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

aarf

#140 Post by aarf »

Seems ok. only minor thing is this mime issue that is fixed in lucid http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#491686

james

savefile problem solved

#141 Post by james »

The problem I had just above with RC1 not creating a savefile has been solved in RC2. I must say that puppeee is a work of art - small but perfectly formed. You've done an amazing job with it. Now I just need to work out why I need an extra computer, now that my Eee has returned from the dead...

2lss

#142 Post by 2lss »

I gave rc2 a try yesterday.

I loaded three or four sfs's with the new utility. It seems to be working pretty good.

The issue I was having with fixmenus seems to be ..... well fixed. Not sure if it was a bad pupsave or if you changed something.

I Also noticed after using Midori that the flash player does not crash all of the time like it does with chrome. (actually has not crashed yet for me)

Everything looks pretty good.

One suggestion though. Could you implement a "change notification style" gui? I.e. change from the puppy thing to yaf-splash or notification daemon.

If it is a quick switch (like "echo yaf-splash > /etc/notify") let me know. I could make a gui for it.

jemimah

#143 Post by jemimah »

The syntax is not really compatible and writing wrappers is not as easy as it sounds. (You method wouldn't be too hard but we'd need another daemon which I really don't want) I try use notification daemon whenever a notification makes sense and xpupsay when I want a quick splash screen.

However if the pup is too much cuteness, you can use your own images by putting them /usr/share/xpupsay.

Or I've hacked up a Pup-free version designed to be less annoying.
http://puppeee.com/files/pet/xpupsay-no ... 1-i486.pet

Feel free to make an even less annoying version - xpupsay is pretty easy to work with.

http://puppeee.com/files/sources/xpupsa ... mah.tar.gz
http://puppeee.com/files/sources/xpupsa ... mah.tar.gz

jemimah

#144 Post by jemimah »

I guess it would be good to have a switcher between the pup and nopup versions of xpupsay.

2lss

#145 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:However if the pup is too much cuteness ...
:lol: My doctor recommends that I only get 3-4 servings of cuteness per day. If I don't keep it in check, my macho self image may become bruised.
jemimah wrote:You method wouldn't be too hard but we'd need another daemon which I really don't want
Why would it require another daemon? I was just thinking about doing it on the fly. Here is an example (off of the top of my head).

Code: Select all

# /usr/local/bin/new-notify

$1=$OPTIONS
$2=$MESSAGE

NOTIFY=$(cat /etc/notify)

case $NOTIFY in
xpupsay)
  # Manipulate the options for xpupsay OPTIONS="stuff"
  COMMAND="xpupsay $OPTIONS $MESSAGE"
;;
yaf-splash) 
  # Manipulate the options for yaf-splash OPTIONS="stuff"
  COMMAND="yaf-splash $OPTIONS $MESSAGE"
;;
esac

exec $COMMAND
Granted, not all of the specific options for each notification program would be usable but it could probably work half way decent.

Unless I'm missing something..

jemimah

#146 Post by jemimah »

Oh yeah, you're right - that would probably work.

Yaf-splash was abandoned because it can't display utf8 characters and the non-Xft font looks wrong with everything else being Xft. There's gtkdialog-splash but it has that mouse-over to dismiss feature that I find unsettling.

I really think xpupsay works great. If you disable the image and maybe shink the balloon a little, and have it appear in the same place every time it is a decent replacement for yaf-splash.

It's probably a good idea to make the no-pup version the default.

aarf

#147 Post by aarf »

everything was going along fine for a couple of days and i was avoiding the website which i suspected of crashing opera11.01, so i gave it a try http://www.nationmultimedia.com/. ok just a little opera freeze, the first one in rc2. closed the site then continued along and was just scrolling down a Bloomberg read item and then a sudden full black screen freeze with stuck cursor. hard restart and opera continues to freeze short time and frequently. even froze three times while i was typing this message. operapluginwrap is chewing cpu in lxtask.
Edit: fsck is clean. And no save to pupsave is previously selected. Only recovery to normal opera usage from here by past experience is to re-extract and overwrite opera which leaves intact the opera personal profile..
Using flwm and rox.
Last edited by aarf on Wed 16 Feb 2011, 18:51, edited 3 times in total.

2lss

#148 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:Yaf-splash was abandoned because it can't display utf8 characters and the non-Xft font looks wrong with everything else being Xft. There's gtkdialog-splash but it has that mouse-over to dismiss feature that I find unsettling.
Ok, I didn't realize that. I will play around with xpupsay and see what I can come up with. It does seem more visually appealing than yaf-splash so it will probably work out well.

aarf

#149 Post by aarf »

system>controlpanel>system>startmount
can't see that mounting of sdb3 is working.,
this is what is going into start-mount.sh

#!/bin/sh
sleep 2
. /root/.startmount/exec 2>/dev/null
export SPLASH=" <window title=\"Startmount\" icon-name=\"gtk-harddisk\"> <vbox> <text><label>Startmount is enabled. To reconfigure or disable Startmount Click OK</label></text> <hbox> <button> <input file stock=\"gtk-ok\"></input> <label>OK</label> <action>/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount</action> <action>Exit:OK</action> </button> <button> <input file stock=\"gtk-cancel\"></input> <label>Cancel</label> </button> </hbox> </vbox> </window>"
gtkdialog3 -p SPLASH ; unset SPLASH;exit 
previously before the great Japanese earthquake struck my SDcard turning it into rubble and killing many puppies, i had a mount script from elsewhere on the forum that used to mount my extra partition.

01micko

#150 Post by 01micko »

aarf

That code is for the nag screen at reboot, just to let you know that Startmount is active.

The actual mounting code gets printed to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

The nag screen can be disabled.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

p310don

sound in movies

#151 Post by p310don »

I have been experiencing an issue with the sound in parole while watching movies on my 1001hah. For reasons unknown, the sound randomly changes from good, to scratchy, metallic rubbish. A quick pause/restart fixes the problem, but interrupts the movie.

Anyone else seen this? Any fix?

aarf

#152 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:aarf

That code is for the nag screen at reboot, just to let you know that Startmount is active.

The actual mounting code gets printed to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

The nag screen can be disabled.
ok micko have /etc/rc.d/rc.local

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe evdev

exec /root/.startmount/mount-drives.sh
and /root/.startmount/mount-drives.sh

#!/bin/ash
mkdir /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
sdb2 is a partition on internal SDcard which is still not mounting.

aarf

#153 Post by aarf »

if i go into startmount folder and run the file mount-drives.sh in a terminal it will the mount the partition so somehow it isn't being run at startup
Last edited by aarf on Thu 24 Mar 2011, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#154 Post by aarf »

changing the permissions on /etc/rc.d/rc.local still doesn't make the file rc.local executable.

aarf

#155 Post by aarf »

have symlinked /root/.startmount/mount-drives.sh into /root/Startup/ and now it mounts.