Puppeee 4.4 Beta Testing

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

Does it have the same problem in Fluppy?

jtouso

#17 Post by jtouso »

No.
With fluppy the keyboard and mouse runs ok!!
But...no screen and need to use xorgconf to choose vesa and xwin to start graphic mode...a terrible acute sound, grey screen and any working key!
I need to stop with the principal switch
I remember..Acer Aspire Revo 3610 atom 330 and nvidia ion video chart integrated

dougeeebear

#18 Post by dougeeebear »

Would it be possible to add a checkbox in eee-control to enable/disable the wired LAN?

jemimah

#19 Post by jemimah »

That's not an option in the kernel. But, you can either disable it in the BIOS, or tell Pwireless2 to ignore it.

totoroslayer

#20 Post by totoroslayer »

I'm having an odd wireless issue with my eeepc 901. When I start the OS, I get a message saying that my wireless card wasn't detected and I need to enable it in my bios (which of course it is). Now the really weird thing is pWireless2 insists that I don't have a wireless card, but iwconfig can see wlan0, and it is even connected automatically to my neighbors router. Trying to restart wpa supplicant does nothing. pwireless still says I don't have a wireless card detected. Any ideas?

dougeeebear

#21 Post by dougeeebear »

The newer version of PCManFM in beta 4.4 is great for copying/deleting/renaming files.
I can't however get it to open a text file for editing by double-clicking on it.
I haven't tried any other file types.
And if I right-click on a file and select "Open with..." PCManFM just crashes and closes abruptly.

Also, if I click on "Applications" in the left pane, the same thing happens.

I've looked in main and pcmanfm.conf but I don't see anything there that would make a difference.

Any ideas?

I'm running ROX Filer desktop and Icewm.
Full install.

EDIT: ...additional info...

If I check to "move files to the trash bin" in preferences, then delete a file to it and click on the trash can in the left pane, it gives me a message "Operation not supported".

jemimah

#22 Post by jemimah »

totoroslayer wrote:I'm having an odd wireless issue with my eeepc 901. When I start the OS, I get a message saying that my wireless card wasn't detected and I need to enable it in my bios (which of course it is). Now the really weird thing is pWireless2 insists that I don't have a wireless card, but iwconfig can see wlan0, and it is even connected automatically to my neighbors router. Trying to restart wpa supplicant does nothing. pwireless still says I don't have a wireless card detected. Any ideas?
Do you have a save file, or are you running live? Maybe this is the result of a failed upgrade?

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

dougeeebear wrote:The newer version of PCManFM in beta 4.4 is great for copying/deleting/renaming files.
I can't however get it to open a text file for editing by double-clicking on it.
I haven't tried any other file types.
And if I right-click on a file and select "Open with..." PCManFM just crashes and closes abruptly.

Also, if I click on "Applications" in the left pane, the same thing happens.

I've looked in main and pcmanfm.conf but I don't see anything there that would make a difference.

Any ideas?

I'm running ROX Filer desktop and Icewm.
Full install.

EDIT: ...additional info...

If I check to "move files to the trash bin" in preferences, then delete a file to it and click on the trash can in the left pane, it gives me a message "Operation not supported".
This is a beta version of PCmanFM2 and as you can tell, not very stable. I'll check if I can find a newer version for the next release.

dougeeebear

#24 Post by dougeeebear »

jemimah wrote:This is a beta version of PCmanFM2 and as you can tell, not very stable. I'll check if I can find a newer version for the next release.
Ok, thanks.

dougeeebear

#25 Post by dougeeebear »

I just replaced PCManFM2 with technosaurus' PCManFM 0.5.2 just to get the functionality back.

Regards, Doug
Last edited by dougeeebear on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

jtouso

#26 Post by jtouso »

Totoroslayer:
Write the results to type lspci and lsmod in terminal window
I have also an EeePc 901 with ralink wireless without any problem. The module is rt2860sta

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

mawebb88

Testing

#28 Post by mawebb88 »

jemimah wrote:Beta 3 has been uploaded.

http://puppeee.com/web/blog/puppeee-44-beta-3-released/

@jemimah

I am running this now. Seems fin. Is there anything in particular I should test compared with puppeee-1.0? (which is my main OS on my eeePC901) and works just great. The lid suspend is perfect and I am now a Chrome fan

Rgds

Mike

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

Is the new pnethood working well?
Does all your multimedia play?
Does printing work?

Partack

#30 Post by Partack »

Hi Jemimah. Finally got your pupplet working after downloading the beta zip 4 times, I left you a comment on your blog about that. I just wanted to snoop around really, being a user of puppy in the past for a really old lappy i saved from the rain, i'm used to the speed and performance that puppy provides, which i wanted to utilize because other distros seem to be eeever just a little sluggish for my little netbook..(windows 7 home premium is just as bad. which is what the thing shipped with..)

There are some slight problems though which i'd like to report if that's alright.

I've got an eeePC t101mt and this one has been prone to problems for a few distros of linux.

First thing that's wrong is the touch screen doesn't work. well.. it does and it doesn't.. i can 'click' by tapping on the screen but the cursor doesn't move. quite odd.. this is a big problem for me because i wanted to use puppy to be able to actually draw stuff on my lappy.. using any other distros works PERFECTLY.. except for the sad fact that they make the pens responsiveness sluggish and takes a while to catch up with my strokes due to how bloated these distros are.. windows 7 is even worse because i can't drag the cursor for like .. 2 mm because it's got a radius where it's waiting for a right click command.. you can turn that off but even then it still doesn't register.. this renders my tablet screen USELESS for any drawing purposes..

second of all, the brightness of the screen isn't reaching its peak. it's quite dim when on full.

Now, I've been using ubuntu netbook 10.10 and for the most part i was pleased with that (Save for a few annoyances like its new interface.. what's it called.. unity or something? ..) however it was proving to be a little too sluggish for me but the touchscreen (albeit only single touch.. but who cares..) works right out of the box..

The screens brightness however had the same problem and required tweaking.

Another problem with both distros was that the webcam built into the screen is detected and works (at least, with UCView) but the camera is Upside down.. i haven't tried skype because i lost patience with trying to get the sfs to work on a live USB but it's more than likely to be the same case as it was on ubuntu.

also, my camera was not detected when i tested it out in flash through google chrome.. or at least.. it might have been but it wouldn't load anything.. flash would crash when anything to do with a camera was involved..

the microphone worked fine.

when i pressed the rotate screen button, i was... surprised.. to find i was asked for a password.. when entering a new password, it put my screen on a screensaver and locked the screen... great use for the button... but i'd really like to have my screen rotate as this computer is a tablet netvirtible which means the screen rotates and lies flat over the keyboard.. although that is just a little trivial..

you'll be glad to know that all the function buttons work great (Save for the brightness thing).

Wireless and ethernet worked fine.

Touchpad gestures ( like scrolling down using the right side of touchpad) works fine although multitouch gestures do not work. such as resizing the page by pinching and .... not pinching.. haha..

There is a wiki for this eeePC for ubuntu and it's known quirks and work arounds, perhaps it could serve useful for you to solve some of these dilemmas?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT

so that's about it.. if you would like me to help with further testing on this model of eeePC, please let me know in a PM as I won't be lurking on the forums.

Thanks again for all your hard work and keep it up please ^__^

~PtK

jemimah

#31 Post by jemimah »

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. You're the first with that model to really tell me how things are working.

I'll look into the touchscreen drivers on the wiki.

How did you fix the brightness with other distros?

I don't believe the Linux synaptics driver supports pinching.

The hotkeys are programmable using xbindkeys. The rotate command should be set to something like "xrandr -o inverted", and "xrandr -o normal" to put it back. I can knock together a script for this so it does the right thing when the button is pressed.

dougeeebear

#32 Post by dougeeebear »

Any chance of getting Fluppy's Control Panel integrated into Puppeee?
Also would a pet be out of the question?

Thanks

jemimah

#33 Post by jemimah »

Yes it will be in beta4 which I plan to release in a few days.

dougeeebear

#34 Post by dougeeebear »

Quick note regarding your pet files directory on puppeee.com, it seems as if they all need permissions set, because I don't seem to be able to download any of them.

jemimah

#35 Post by jemimah »

They work for me. What error are you getting?