Puppeee 4.4 Beta Testing

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vernel1008

#166 Post by vernel1008 »

Thanks neurino.

I found something that work from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64708

I think the package manager installed by default was an old one.
After installing the petget, I can now uninstall. Thanks for the quick response =)

sandungas

SYSLINUX

#168 Post by sandungas »

Im a bit paranoid with "misterious" and "unknown" files/folders in the install tree, but after a lot of reading and tests i think i know syslinux well

I made some modifications inside "boot" folder... basically what im trying is to separate "syslinux installer files, "syslinux config files" and "syslinux tool files"
This way the user can delete the "install" folder after the installation, and will know a bit better what are the tools, i renamed some files thinking in simplicity for the final user

Additionally... i moved some script and config files to match this new folder structure
It was needed some changes in the scripts & configs (basically... some paths)

------------------------------------
About my changes in sysconfig.cnf ...
Lot of little changes here and too long to explain exactly, but i added some things like:
-help messages with the kernel parameters (you can see this help screens with F1 & F2 keys)
-added custom text lines at the bottom of the screen for the first entry (it can be done for the other ones)
-rebuilded "advanced boot options" submenu, with an option to return to main menu (i just ordered the entryes in this menu, nothing was erased)
-new "tools" submenu with some new tools (HDT, MHDD, new memtest version) and a option to return to main menu
-3 main menu options, for chainloading to the next device (usually grub in hd0,0), "reboot", and "power off"
-added needed modules to the folder "tools" for this new functions
-probably more things that i dont remember :)

I upload a .zip attached in this message with all files needed
The .zip is "cloning" the structure of a pendrive, is fully functional if you replace the .dummy files for the real ones (as explained in one of the readme.txt)
btw... all this readme.txts are here as a log of my modifications, of course must be deleted

The windows installer worked for me... but if somebody test them, please report bugs, i have more suggestions to make about syslinux, but first things first, if this works and jemmimah like it, i will try to make it better :)

****linux installer needs to be modifyed to install "ldsyslinux.sys" in /boot/syslinux/

Please jemmimah, take a look :roll:

neurino

Re: SYSLINUX

#169 Post by neurino »

sandungas wrote: -3 main menu options, for chainloading to the next device (usually grub in hd0,0), "reboot", and "power off"
I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.4 on 2nd ssd of my eee 901 but all I've been able to do is add (lately) grub also in that drive and boot using Esc key and selecting it since I didn't find an option in syslinux to boot from another drive.

Is it possible?

ATM I will not remove grub for sure from sbd but maybe it will come in handy in future or it could be nice having both options with Esc key or in puppeee boot menu.

P.S.: I would suggest OpenSUSE 11.4 with XFCE desktop env since on my 901 runs smooth and is a good alternative to Puppeee, works OTB (camera, wifi, 3G), just hotkeys missing.Of course Puppeee keeps on being my favourite 8)

sandungas

Re: SYSLINUX

#170 Post by sandungas »

neurino wrote:
sandungas wrote: -3 main menu options, for chainloading to the next device (usually grub in hd0,0), "reboot", and "power off"
I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.4 on 2nd ssd of my eee 901 but all I've been able to do is add (lately) grub also in that drive and boot using Esc key and selecting it since I didn't find an option in syslinux to boot from another drive.

Is it possible?...
yes, syslinux can chainload directly without external modules (as i did in my example), but there is a specific syslinux module to chainload (chain.c32)

Try with this

Code: Select all

LABEL hd0
	MENU LABEL Chainloader ---> hd0
	COM32 /tools/chain.c32
	APPEND hd0

LABEL hd1
	MENU LABEL Chainloader ---> hd1
	COM32 /tools/chain.c32
	APPEND hd1

LABEL hd2
	MENU LABEL Chainloader ---> hd2
	COM32 /tools/chain.c32
	APPEND hd2
I removed chain.32 module from the files i uploaded (because puppeee menu had no use of it)... you can get if from old pupeee releases

EeePC bios assign differente letters to devices... depending in the boot device you selected (by using ESC key you are "swapping" drive letters)
So it depends of the number of devices... if you have 2 internals, and you are booting from pendrive probably the second internal is the third device

*If this dont works modify this way:

APPEND hd0 0
APPEND hd1 0
APPEND hd2 0
These are first primary partitions of the 3 first devices

neurino

#171 Post by neurino »

there's a chain.c32 in my current puppeee boot folder, can't I only add entries to my syslinux.cfg?

(I know I'd better try it directly but how can I know what's the matter if doesn't work :) )

Thanks

sandungas

#172 Post by sandungas »

neurino wrote:there's a chain.c32 in my current puppeee boot folder, can't I only add entries to my syslinux.cfg?

(I know I'd better try it directly but how can I know what's the matter if doesn't work :) )

Thanks
This chain.c32 comes included as one of the modules in the syslinux release , the use of this module is optional
The one you have will work, just modify syslinux.cfg to point to his path
And dont worry if the menu entryes you edited dont works... if the entry fails you will return to syslinux main menu, no harm done

neurino

#173 Post by neurino »

Thanks sandungas,

sinc OpenSUSE is on my 2nd drive this worked on first attemp:

LABEL hd1
   MENU LABEL Chainloader ---> hd1
   COM32 /boot/chain.c32
   APPEND hd1
BUT since, as you wrote Esc key swaps drives grub's menu.lst entry doesn't work as is since it points at hd(0,0) that's correct when I boot using Esc key but should be hd(1,0) while chainloading...

Probably I should replace OpenSUSE's grub with syslinux... but since I always put timeout to 1 second to reduce boot times Esc key keeps on being however more comfortable.

Anyway I learned something new, thanks.

Nevermore

#174 Post by Nevermore »

Hello
I'd like to report that pidgin WLM plugin has stopped working from some time.
I tried to upgrade subscribing it with the most recent MSN plugin but it did not work...
--
/sbin/Nevermore

sandungas

#175 Post by sandungas »

This is what i have (by now), i think is cool enought to post a photo :)

Its fully usable, folder names/structure is "user friendly", this time i focused in aesthetic changes, i added explain texts for every entry (there are 4 lines of text availables for every entry as an explain at the bottom of the screen in blue text)

Some new functions added as the chainload submenu with most common options (restored chain.32 that i removed in the last version)
All the files are extracted from "syslinux v4.04 official release"... is the last stable one, i hope all will work but please report bugs
I dont want to introduce changes in a distro that is in "release candidate" state so if something fails is easy to revert to the "old" files
The installers are fixed to place ldlinux.sys in subfolder /boot/syslinux/
ldlinux.sys is the real syslinux, in windows is hidden, protected, and marked as a "system file"

Probably lot of minor changes to syslinux.cfg that i dont remember :)

The intended way to install it:
1- Place "boot" folder extracted from my .zip in the root of a USB drive
2- Place the 4 puppeee files in the root of the device (dont use the sylinux.cfg that comes with puppeee)
3- Run the installer inside /boot/install/ folder (linux.sh or windows.exe)

Edit:
With the files i uploaded in my previous message i tryed to keep a changelog in several readme.txt files to avoid mistakes
This time i joined all the texts in 1 file, and ordered/erased/cleared some info there
But maybe there is more info about the changes in the old files http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 147#518147
This time i tryed to "keep clean" the file/folder structure

Edit2:
Ops, i forgot to say that i modifyed the help1 & help2 messages, there was needed several modifications to this files to look nice in the eeepc screen
This messages are very explicit and now are more understandables by using puppeee paths and filenames, and a bit more ordered

kazzamozz

Pupeee Website unable to access

#176 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi Guys
is there a problem with the direct web page for Pupeee I get the following error:
http://puppeee.com/web/ when trying to access it.

Coming soon: Another fine website hosted by WebFaction.
Site not configured

If you are the owner of this site and weren’t expecting to see this message, it could happen for a number of reasons:

You recently created a new website record and visited it before it got set up.
You added a new domain in the control panel but didn’t create a site record to link it with an application.
Your website record is set for HTTPS, but you visited a HTTP URL (or vice-versa).
You tried to visit your website by IP address.

For more details, please take a look at the following knowledge base article: Troubleshooting — Error: Site not configured

WebFaction provides modern hosting with friendly customer support. Visit our main website for more information.
Is there another site I can got to in the meantime?

Cheers
Kazzamozz

foxh0und

+1 on puppeee site down

#177 Post by foxh0und »

Hi,
What happened to the puppeee site? Wanted to post some kudos after I installed. I'm on a eeepc 1005ha and everything just works with puppeee! Highly recommended. fh

jomazq

src2pkg

#178 Post by jomazq »

are the pwidgets supposed to be in there? my RC2 doesn't show them after i decide what i want in the tool.

aarf

Re: src2pkg

#179 Post by aarf »

jomazq wrote:are the pwidgets supposed to be in there? my RC2 doesn't show them after i decide what i want in the tool.
you have to turn them on in the drop down menus of the pwidgets gui

jomazq

#180 Post by jomazq »

:roll: :oops: thanks aarf..

jomazq

alt+space launch bug?

#181 Post by jomazq »

when i press alt-space for the launcher and look for puppy package manager - i found the item in the list but it takes me to dependency checker instead.

then i found out that the only way i figured out to find the package manager was through the install icon and then clicking the package manager button in the bottom right of the dialog box.

does that need to be fixed?

gregmc1000

Looking for puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip

#182 Post by gregmc1000 »

Hi,

Since the puppeee website is down I'm hoping someone else has the puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip file for me to download. Is it available?

Thanks

aarf

Re: Looking for puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip

#183 Post by aarf »

gregmc1000 wrote:Hi,

Since the puppeee website is down I'm hoping someone else has the puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip file for me to download. Is it available?

Thanks
dont have atom could possibly do celeron if need be . would have to go looking or it and sort a host.
mostly i'm using luci001 these days it suits my eeepc. and if you have an issue with luci001 there is active knowledgeable help. puppeee is withering on the vine by the day but still good.

nooby

#184 Post by nooby »

I am using Snow puppy. Pemasu learned a lot from Puppeee and Fluppy
what drivers to add and how to set the Wlan going and RFKILL and such
that many other puppies don't care about.

puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip was that a kind of add on then or what?
Did nobody mirror her files?
Smokey or somebody?

I have the puppeee 4.4? iso if that has what you need?
How can one extract the file you talk about and what is it for?

Maybe it exists in Snow puppy too?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gregmc1000

#185 Post by gregmc1000 »

nooby wrote:
puppeee4.4-RC2atom.zip was that a kind of add on then or what?

It's the OS. Jemimah set up her later versions that way."Uzip into bootable drive. run bootinst.sh file in boot folder." and the OS is installed.