Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Bugs, Fixes, & Feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#106 Post by Béèm »

8-bit wrote:I had downloaded a PDF book (410 pages) and had installed a few PETs as to a font addon and a shutdown menu PET.
I think I have a mouse with an intermittent short that was opening a lot of things, not sure what.
But I ended up doing a hard reboot and found that the PDF viewer and Puppy Package manager failed to display any text, just blank pages.
I had previously used a backup utility for frugal installs called HotPup and had did a backup of my pupsave file.
I reverted to it to recover.
Then I did a file system check of the bad pupsave and after rebooted using it.
All appears to be back now.
So as a result, I would suggest to everyone with a frugal install to use HotPup to do a regular backup before making any changes to Puppy.
That way, you do not loose installed applications and personalizations.
That 'hotpup' could be explained more for the sake of everyone.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Reaperz

#107 Post by Reaperz »

I've just installed 5.11 for the first time, but is this message normal?
Dependencies may be missing in Puppy 511.
You will either have to uninstall the Puppy2 packages, or install the missing
dependencies -- the latter is easy: click the 'install' icon on the desktop
after Puppy is running and you have Internet access.

These are the most likely missing dependencies (if in doubt, install them all!)
PKG-TYPE MISSING DEPENDENCIES
GTK1: gtk+1 gdkxft gdk_pixbuf10 glib12
Tc1/Tk: tk tc1 tix uri tktable tablelist tile trf combobox gnocl img
Qt: qt
Xlib: imlib libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex libosip2 cdrdao sox
Misc.: libidn fig2dev pstoedit mtools

PLEASE WRITE THESE PACKAGE NAMES DOWN ON A PIECE OF PAPER RIGHT NOW.
Also, I can not connect to the internet right now.

Is there somewhere I can download the Xorg High driver package manually?

James C

#108 Post by James C »

Reaperz wrote:I've just installed 5.11 for the first time, but is this message normal?
Dependencies may be missing in Puppy 511.
You will either have to uninstall the Puppy2 packages, or install the missing
dependencies -- the latter is easy: click the 'install' icon on the desktop
after Puppy is running and you have Internet access.

These are the most likely missing dependencies (if in doubt, install them all!)
PKG-TYPE MISSING DEPENDENCIES
GTK1: gtk+1 gdkxft gdk_pixbuf10 glib12
Tc1/Tk: tk tc1 tix uri tktable tablelist tile trf combobox gnocl img
Qt: qt
Xlib: imlib libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex libosip2 cdrdao sox
Misc.: libidn fig2dev pstoedit mtools

PLEASE WRITE THESE PACKAGE NAMES DOWN ON A PIECE OF PAPER RIGHT NOW.
Also, I can not connect to the internet right now.

Is there somewhere I can download the Xorg High driver package manually?

That message can safely be ignored.......it only occurs when doing a full install I believe. Not a problem.

8-bit

#109 Post by 8-bit »

Beem, and possibly others,
The Backup utility I use can be found in the Additional Software section under Utilities.
It can be found HERE.

Reaperz

#110 Post by Reaperz »

James C wrote:That message can safely be ignored.......it only occurs when doing a full install I believe. Not a problem.
Cool, thanks.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the xorg high driver that Lucid recommends?

bigpup

#111 Post by bigpup »

Reaperz wrote:Could anyone point me in the direction of the xorg high driver that Lucid recommends?
Quickpet on the desktop has it under drivers.

Reaperz

#112 Post by Reaperz »

Manually? I can't connect through Lucid as posted yesterday.

Is there some type of proprietary thing going on with the drivers?

James C

#113 Post by James C »

Reaperz wrote:

Manually? I can't connect through Lucid as posted yesterday.

Is there some type of proprietary thing going on with the drivers?
Xorg_High is in all the Puppy repos, how about here
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -Lucid.pet

PaulBx1

#114 Post by PaulBx1 »

Using a Lupu 511 liveCD on a Sony vgn-c140g laptop, got these issues/problems/recommendations:

1) Firewall is defaulted off. That is not a good idea, seems to me. I can just imagine people working on the internet with no firewall until it dawns on them they ought to check the firewall, or until they get recruited into a botnet... I realize this is an old problem as will be some others I report; doesn't mean they should be ignored.

2) The warning at the end, where you are doing your first shutdown, about recommending you defragment an ntfs partition if you are going to store the pupsave there - it should abort the shutdown rather than shutting down, if you elect not to continue. Otherwise any work done till that point will be thrown away, not a very friendly thing to do. People may want to just plug in another flash drive, or something of that nature. They should be able to choose whether to throw away their work or not.

3) As far as I can tell, "puppy pfix=fsck" still does not do an fsck on an encrypted pupsave. Another old problem.

4) Normally, clicking on a pupsave mounts it; however that does not work if it is encrypted. Fixing both this problem and the previous one just involves doing a modprobe of cryptoloop and aes (maybe something else for light encryption), and executing losetup-FULL. Not a big deal really; maybe we should fix these.

5) In the following, I was attempting to install gnupg, first installing its dependency gpgv, but it did not work as you can see. The first image shows before starting. Note the "Installed packages" shows UpdateLupu, Seamonkey and Galculator all installed previously.

The following image shows what the situation is after installing gpgv (which went through properly). "Installed packages", instead of showing gpgv, now shows a second copy of Seamonkey!

The next image shows what happens when I try to install gnupg: it tells me gpgv is not there. So it's not just the display list. I don't know where that extra copy of Seamonkey went...

If I then try again to install gpgv, it does show up on the list finally. But I still have that second copy of seamonkey, at least it shows it that way.

BTW, Seamonkey has as it's description, "Seamonkey composer html editor", which is very misleading, since composer is merely a minor component of the suite.

I don't need things like Quickpet. What I do need is a working package manager.

Oh, one other thing. This is repeatable; that's how I got the screen shots, on the 2nd attempt. Presumably anyone should be able to install the same sequence of packages and get the same result.

Addendum: In the above, my lupusave file was 512MB. However much of it was taken up with .mozilla stuff (mail files) so it may be there was still not enough room for things to work properly, as the warnings on the OP imply. Thus the warning should possibly not be regarding the size of lupusave, but the available room in it. And in any case, this is a bug! The software should determine if there is enough room to work (and if not, warn the user) - not just fail.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Tue 02 Nov 2010, 15:43, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#115 Post by pemasu »

Deleted.
Probably my font size sucks.

jpeps

#116 Post by jpeps »

8-bit wrote:Beem, and possibly others,
The Backup utility I use can be found in the Additional Software section under Utilities.
It can be found HERE.
For practical usage, backing up data is far more efficient than backing up the entire pupsave folder, which can be done infrequently after major revisions of settings. I also feel that using pfix=ram guarantees accurate duplication.

PaulBx1

#117 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was grepping around in ~/.packages and found this:

Code: Select all

user-installed-packages:Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid|Seamonkey|2.0.9-Lucid||Internet|44104K|pet-packages-lucid|Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid.pet||SeaMonkey Composer html editor|ubuntu|lucid||
user-installed-packages:Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid|Seamonkey|2.0.9-Lucid||Document|44104K|pet-packages-lucid|Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid.pet||SeaMonkey Composer html editor|ubuntu|lucid||
Note, one (the browser) is in Menu>Internet, the other (Composer) is in Menu>Document. So, the way it looks to me now, installing Seamonkey is supposed to generate two menu entries, but it doesn't. Instead, attempting to install another package afterward will finally complete the installation of the 2nd menu entry for Seamonkey, and trip up the installation of the thing you are trying to install. Only thing is, I thought I installed galculator after Seamonkey, but maybe not...

Skoodge

Random hang-ups of ddcprobe

#118 Post by Skoodge »

I run a frugal install of Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 on an AMD K6-2 processor, 192 MB RAM, with a Matrox MGA Millennium graphics card.

I’m mostly happy with it, but occasionally I get hang-ups during the boot sequence, before X starts. The text cursor keeps blinking, but no keyboard input has any effect.

The last lines of output read:

This script will run X windows for you...
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
It always outputs this. Usually there’s just a 9 second delay with no output at this point. But sometimes the system completely hangs there.

The script which is running at that point is, as I have learned, /usr/bin/xwin, and by adding ridiculous amounts of echo commands to that script, I found out that the line

DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
is executed when the hang-up occurs.

After rebooting I tried running ddcprobe in rxvt. A couple of times it worked. Then it caused a system hang-up.

The output of a normal call to ddcprobe reads:

vbe: VESA 2.0 detected.
oem: Matrox Graphics Inc.
memory: 32768kb
mode: 640x400x256
mode: 640x480x256
mode: 800x600x16
mode: 800x600x256
mode: 640x480x32k
mode: 640x480x64k
mode: 640x480x16m
mode: 800x600x32k
mode: 800x600x64k
mode: 800x600x16m
mode: 132x43 (text)
edid: 
edid: 1 1
id: 2800
eisa: ICL2800
serial: 50000193
manufacture: 49 1998
input: separate sync, composite sync, sync on green, analog signal.
screensize: 36 27
gamma: 2.280000
dpms: RGB, active off, suspend, standby
timing: 720x400@70 Hz (VGA 640x400, IBM)
timing: 720x400@88 Hz (XGA2)
timing: 640x480@60 Hz (VGA)
timing: 640x480@67 Hz (Mac II, Apple)
timing: 640x480@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@60 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@72 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 832x624@75 Hz (Mac II)
timing: 1024x768@87 Hz Interlaced (8514A)
timing: 1024x768@60 Hz (VESA)
timing: 1024x768@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 1280x1024@75 (VESA)
ctiming: 640x480@85
ctiming: 800x600@85
ctiming: 1024x768@85
ctiming: 1280x1024@85
ctiming: 1600x1200@75
dtiming: 640x480@100
dtiming: 800x600@131
dtiming: 1024x768@122
monitorrange: 30-96, 50-160
The last line of this which was output before the hang-up was

mode: 132x43 (text)
(I also have Puppy 4.3.1 and 4.0.0 installed, both as frugal, and never had this kind of boot problem with them.)
Correction: It turned out that ddcprobe does occasionally hang in Puppy 4.0.0 and 4.3.1 too. It just hadn't occured until recently. I was switching to 5.1.1 at about the same time I had to change the graphics card (the previous one is broken), and therefore only observed the problem in 5.1.1 at first.

It doesn't look like anyone else is having this problem. It appears to be specific to my graphics card. So this is probably not of general interest. However, I'm sure I can work around this problem by modifying the xwin script.

Since on ordinary startup ddcprobe is used only to check whether the hardware profile has changed, and I'm not changing graphics cards or monitors all that often, it shouldn't hurt to bypass the probing and just start X assuming the existing configuration will be okay. I'll see that I include an option to manually start xorgwizard instead.
Last edited by Skoodge on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#119 Post by PaulBx1 »

THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED, SEE MY 2:17 am POST BELOW.

I had installed some programs, Seamonkey along with gnupg and a couple of others. I decided to try a remaster. The process worked but when I boot the new CD and attempt to run Seamonkey, I get this message that Seamonkey is already running:

I did a ps both before invoking Seamonkey, and after. You can see there was no Seamonkey running before I invoked it.

So, it looks like the combination of Seamonkey and a remaster is not workable.

Oh, a couple of defunct jwm processes are there too...
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#120 Post by PaulBx1 »

With the above problem starting seamonkey, I thought it might have been that I had seamonkey running when I created the new iso, causing problems. So, I did it again making sure no other program was running. It does the same thing. Seamonkey no longer works after a remaster.

BTW the remaster script really ought to explain the ramifications of having a separate driver file, versus not having a separate one. It's something that will trip up a lot of people. In my case the iso size went from 145MB to 125MB, a 14% reduction and a 20MB savings in ram (I'm assuming the entire driver file does not get loaded).

PaulBx1

#121 Post by PaulBx1 »

My above problem with seamonkey is described in this page:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use

:oops:

It dawned on me googling the error message would find something, and it did. I can't imagine how this snag can be avoided in remastering. When I supplied the profile in .mozilla, it worked again.

PaulBx1

#122 Post by PaulBx1 »

Going back to the old problem, I had remastered so there was nothing listed in the "installed packages" window of the package manager. I then installed lsof from the Ubuntu-lucid-main, and what showed up in the "installed packages" window? Why, "Seamonkey", of course! :(

I do have lsof though, just tried it out. Sometimes what I ask for gets installed, other times not.

I'm just wondering, if I want to uninstall lsof, what do I have to click on, to do that? Should I click on that Seamonkey entry, and hope it uninstalls lsof, and not Seamonkey? I guess that's why we backup pupsaves, to compensate for flaky package managers... :x

Reaperz

#123 Post by Reaperz »

*Never-mind, I figured it out.

Sorry for posting in wrong thread.

Joe Jasniewski

Connect cant see my wireless card; OK in 4.3.1

#124 Post by Joe Jasniewski »

Something changed between 4.3.1 and 5.1.1, in how the wireless cards are detected.

In 4.3.1, it detects and installs "orinoco_cs" right away and remains SOLID thereafter through multiple reboots.

In 5.1.1, it says "no network interfaces found". Even when I manually load the orinoco_cs driver and IF I get it to work, on next use of the system it's gone.

Can someone here say what changed between 4.3.1 and 5.1.1? Did someone do something to "speed things up" which renders my wireless on my system inop? Is there some file I can edit with some parameter I can change to slow things back down and get my wireless working the way it does in 4.3.1?

I'm not the only one with similar problems, apparently.

To whomever; please remember when you shave things down to get your fast boot / uptime on premium machines, folks using linux distros to save older hardware from the junkpile might suffer.

Thanks and best regards,

Joe

PaulBx1

#125 Post by PaulBx1 »

When you install something using PPM, the entry in the .jwmrc file ends up having a specification with something like icon="truecrypt" rather than icon="truecrypt.xpm". As a result, there is no icon in the menu. Add the ".xpm" and it appears...