Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Bugs, Fixes, & Feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Lido

Won't shutdown

#46 Post by Lido »

New install to the hard drive of a dell inspiron 600m. 5.11 full install.

When I try to use Menu->Shutdown->Power Off Computer

It just reboots. How can I turn it off? Thanks.

rjbrewer

Re: Won't shutdown

#47 Post by rjbrewer »

Lido wrote:New install to the hard drive of a dell inspiron 600m. 5.11 full install.

When I try to use Menu->Shutdown->Power Off Computer

It just reboots. How can I turn it off? Thanks.
These new things tend to be a bit buggy.
Try "exit to prompt", then type "poweroff".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Machines that don't shut down properly can sometimes be helped by adding "acpi=force" to the GRUB boot entry. For example

Code: Select all

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=.......  acpi=force

willem1940NLD

#49 Post by willem1940NLD »

rcrsn51 wrote:Machines that don't shut down properly can sometimes be helped by adding "acpi=force" to the GRUB boot entry. For example

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=.......  acpi=force
Right, somebody taught me that some time ago.

(file icon)
arrow up
boot
grub
menu.lst

(my partition = sda2)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=normal acpi=force

then: SAVE

chrismt

#50 Post by chrismt »

I installed the Pwireless from the PPM but it is showing a dependancy even though it is working

Libgio

I wonder if this is a bug or a minor issue

dingo53

#51 Post by dingo53 »

Thanks rcrsn51. Did the trick on a Toshiba 2100 CDT. [/img]

Karl Godt

#52 Post by Karl Godt »

next about modprobe.conf :
There is a generate_modprobe.conf program which should do a reasonable job of generating modprobe.conf from your current (2.4 or 2.2) modules setup.
http://linux.die.net/man/5/modprobe.conf

I moved the modprobe.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/ and puppy was running with no problems but after reboot there was a new /etc/modprobe.conf generated with only two short lines :

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
while the ""original"" modprobe.conf (now at /etc/modprobe.d/ folder) contains 162/163 lines of aliases and install .

I think that the kernel or initrd.gz contails still a line to echo $KERNELMODULEsomething >> /etc/modprobe.conf
and not >> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

but even `modinfo --showconfig >> /root/"modinfo --showconfig.txt" contains over 12 thousand lines ! and does not seem to need any modprobe.conf files .

the `depmod` command seems not to create the modprobe.conf file .

Karl Godt

modprobe.conf file

#53 Post by Karl Godt »

next about modprobe.conf :

running a puppy derivate based upon 4.3.1

I got modprobe --version 3.6 that also does not complain about the ""famous deprecated config file"" :) :wink:

[edit : deleted also my first doubble post :shock: :lol: :) ]
Last edited by Karl Godt on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

chopsuwe

#54 Post by chopsuwe »

Gparted Splash Screen.

This is not so much a bug an incorrect description that should be updated.

When Gparted starts the splash screen that gives the choice of which drive to show has a warning about resizing Vista partitions. It finishes off by saying "Vista may not work properly (and in some cases not even start)...we don't know what the fix is for this".

The cause is Vista and Win7 use a different version of NTFS to XP and earlier. As of 2009 Gparted hadn't been updated to work with Vista NTFS and would either corrupt the boot loader (run fixmbr and fixboot) or change the partition so that Windows sees it as RAW. The only solution to a RAW partition is to back it up using Linux, delete it and use the Vista cd to create a new partition.

I hope this helps for future versions. Oh, and I have to say it's these helpful screens that explain what is happening that puts Puppy way ahead of all the other Linux versions I've tried.

technowomble

#55 Post by technowomble »

chrismt wrote:I installed the Pwireless from the PPM but it is showing a dependancy even though it is working

Libgio

I wonder if this is a bug or a minor issue
If you re-run the dependencies check for pwireless2 I think you will find that it reports no missing dependencies, but reports libgio as missing after checking all installed pets. it looks like a bug in PPM rather than pwireless2. ( pfind shows libgio present and correct ).

acrocosm

x server crashes on exit/restart

#56 Post by acrocosm »

As the subject suggests, x server crashes on exit and restart. In short, I am able only to start it once. There is no way to restart it to reflect any changes I might have made and I am unable to properly shut down or reboot the machine. When I try it I end up on a blank screen, not off, just blank black, no HD activity, nothing. alt+ctrl+del, alt+ctrl+backspace, alt+f(x) don't do anything either (I'm not sure if there are any virtual terminals anyway). The power button has to be kept pressed to turn off and then be able to reboot.

The machine is an x40 IBM with a 1.2Ghz pentium m.

This is true for both 5.1 (official and ubuntustudioPE) AND 5.1.1. And it happens with both the ati/intel drivers and without any extra drivers installed. The graphics chipset is 855gme.

On usb stick installation it behaves as expected. It doesn't matter whether I use a save file or not. It just works. On hard disk installation however things go wicked. I tried using acpi=force as suggested in this thread but to no avail. I'm not completely noob with linux, but I'm nood enough so I don't know what else to try.

I haven't tried xvesa since I intend to do heavy graphic work on it. Yeah I know it's a laugh with 855gme but anyway it's better than xvesa anyway ...i suppose...

I love puppy, it's a fully functional and easy os where I can run blender/gimp/photoshop/renoise/sunvox/whatever I like to use. With some slight changes (fluxbox, conky, no rox pinboard) it boots from hd using just 25mb of ram!! leaving all the rest to hungry creativity. It's super fast, it's stable enough, it's nearly perfect ...err apart from that x-server issue and maybe one two others I can live with or overcome. Next thing I'm gonna try running is maya o.O

Any help welcome, any info or tests from my part, I'd be more than glad to provide

Thank you

p.s. aytmm crashes for fun, it's less tolerant than win95 when inserting a cd

lugligino

Pupdial failure

#57 Post by lugligino »

Hello,
an odd problem with lupu511:
I installed lupu in my old PC (Full Installation) and tried to connect to the internet with my Huawei E156G internet key. The connection was good.
After a little I saw that the keyboard was US type but I need IT (italian) so I chose the IT keyboard in setup. The connection was still good until I restarted the PC. After the reboot pupdial was not able to connect anymore. :?
Pupdial recognized the key in ttyUSB0 and probed it successfully but the connection to the internet ends with the message
ERROR
BAD INIT STRING
After some attempts I tried to reset the keyboard to US type and after a reboot pupdial was still able to connect to internet.
wvdial.conf file was never changed. I use it regularly with other older puppy full installations on other disk partitions.
The bug is reproducible.
In short, when I setup US keyboard type, pupdial can connect while it's not possible with IT keyboard. :shock:
I unstalled the two pet update for lucid 511 but nothing changed.
I would like to know if this happens only on my PC or it's the same for you. Also an hint to bypass the problem should be appreciated.
Regards

Karl Godt

pgprs-shell alternative for PupDial Modem-Dialup

#58 Post by Karl Godt »

Also an hint to bypass the problem should be appreciated.
alternative for pupdial : try `pgprs-shell` command from console
Attachments
pgprs-shell+pgprs-connect.jpg
my personal settings
(167.89 KiB) Downloaded 2000 times

lugligino

Solved failed internet connection using IT keyboard

#59 Post by lugligino »

Hi Karl.
I tried pgprs-shell unsuccessfully (I filled the fields but it ends without any message after pushed ok button) but I remembered the program umtsmon and it works! :D I'm using now lucid puppy 5.1.1 and IT keyboard. 8)
Bye

shinobar

Re: Pupdial failure with some european languages?

#60 Post by shinobar »

lugligino wrote:I installed lupu in my old PC (Full Installation) and tried to connect to the internet with my Huawei E156G internet key. The connection was good.
After a little I saw that the keyboard was US type but I need IT (italian) so I chose the IT keyboard in setup. The connection was still good until I restarted the PC. After the reboot pupdial was not able to connect anymore. :?
Pupdial recognized the key in ttyUSB0 and probed it successfully but the connection to the internet ends with the message
ERROR
BAD INIT STRING
Ciao lugligino.
You may not need this information anymore but for all european try to use the PupDial...

Apparently the pupdial has a bug under some european languages.
We can escape the bug with the next way, i guess.

On Lupu and most of puppies, the locale is set to the country corresponding the keyboard layout.
You can set the locale to 'en_US' by using the chooselocale after you set your keyboard layout.

Or, start the PupDial from the virtual terminal. Type:

LANG=C pupdial 
Or:

LC_ALL=C pupdial 
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

ken geometrics

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Bugs, Fixes, & Feedback

#61 Post by ken geometrics »

I just tried 511 there is an issue with gparted

I started from the LiveCD for the 1st time.

I plugged in a USB 1T byte Seagate external hard drive
I then clicked on the gparted in the menu.

It took so long to start that I looked at the disk and the CD lights to see if anything was happening. No lights were blinking. I tried it again, thinking perhaps I had not actually clicked on it. Still nothing.

I popped out the CD and put in the 4.31 CD. I went to the shutdown menu entry and was about to reboot when up came 2 copies of gparted at the same time ( didn't see one then the other both
suddenly appeared)

I shut down and started 431, On 431, gparted starts instantly.

willem1940NLD

#62 Post by willem1940NLD »

Locale and keyboard: a bit confusing in setup, yes. I found that ALWAYS, at any change, the whole multi-stage keyboard input in "setup" icon must be rerun, else will not obey.

So, I use Netherlands-Euro for locale and USA keyboard VAR-alt-int, first screen select USA, save, open other pictogram and add VAR-alt-int. This one has all the accents/diacritics for west-european languages, except the cedille which (in Linux) is deformed, constructed by using 'c but resulting as ć.
Again: both stages must be gone through to perform any change.

In distros other than Puppy, I used to use USA-int which gave cedille correctly, but in Puppy USA-int remains plain USA without the accents, which I consider a bug.

In these USA-(alt)-int settings, accent after 1 touch stays hidden till next a suitable character is typed ... if unfit, beeps.

à ñ ã é è ë ä ï ó ò ỳ ê ć ..... etc..

If the accent is not meant to mount a character, blank space counts as "suitable" so showing the sole accent for any purpose.

` ' ^ " ~ ...... etc..

Once used to the use of extra blank spaces, I can use USA-alt-int for the handful of languages I need, without changing keyboards.

wabbit

IBM X30 Thinkpad laptop - Test results

#63 Post by wabbit »

IBM X30 Thinkpad laptop - Test results

Every time I tried to boot the Puppy v511 cd, It would hang just at the point of displaying the initial screen. While displaying an empty (black) screen, the screen backlight would brighten, then dim, then brighten again and just sit there. The keyboard was completly dead ... even ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work. Had to manually power down by holding down the power on-off button.

Next step was booting with the pfix=ram,nox option. At the prompt, I typed in xorgwizard twice, selected 1024x768 (also tried 800x600 both known-to-work resolutions, and on one attempt, I even selected Xvesa instead of probe). X did not start, so I typed in xwin as instructed, and the laptop hung as described above.

There's more, but at this point, here are how things stand in relation to the above problem ONLY:

Quirky v120 works as expected. No problem in highly limited testing.
Puppy v215CE final hangs as above.
Puppy v431 gets to initial puppy screen, but then hangs as above when you try to use it.
Puppy v510 hangs as above.
Puppy v511 hangs as above.

So, I figured ... let's see if we can break it.

Started 511 again with pfix=ram,nox. Typed in xorgwizard twice, and selected 1280x1024x16 as my resolution (1024x768 is max for the screen display). X did not start. Typed in xwin, and my puppy screen came up. The bottom of the screen was missing (menu button, tray, etc.), but the blue plasma wallpaper and all the desktop icons were there.

Before going any further, I established the wifi with WPA. No problem except that my wifi scan detected 2 wifi networks. Mine, and one that appeared to be an odd collection of letters I had never seen before. What's odd is that scans from two Ubuntu wireless laptops showed my network as the only one in existence. In any case the wifi was established and the firewall successfully started.

At this point did a right click on the desktop and selected system/system status and config/hardinfo hardware information/summary and sure enough the display was set at 1280x1024.

Did a right click/setup/Xorg video wizard, and selected edit xorg.conf file, Scolled down to the resolution and changed it to 1024x768, saved, closed the file, and quit.

Did a right click/shutdown/restart X server.

After the server restart, My screen was just as it should be for 1024x768. The bottom of the screen was just as it should be, and a hardware info display showed the correct resolution. One interesting point. My wifi info was dropped during the restart.

During reconnection, when it scanned for wireless networks, it found only one ... mine. Reconnection went okay, and I am currently moving on in the information and testing.

More later. Have a great day, and thanks for such a wonderful operating system.

Wudy :)

8-bit

#64 Post by 8-bit »

It sounds to me that by selecting the higher resolution, you got a video frequency that worked with your display.
Different resolution frequencies appear to have caused the problem.
I will have to try that on a laptop that I have been unable to get Puppy 510 to work with.

acrocosm

Re: x server crashes on exit/restart

#65 Post by acrocosm »

acrocosm wrote:As the subject suggests, x server crashes on exit and restart. In short, I am able only to start it once. There is no way to restart it to reflect any changes I might have made and I am unable to properly shut down or reboot the machine. When I try it I end up on a blank screen, not off, just blank black, no HD activity, nothing. alt+ctrl+del, alt+ctrl+backspace, alt+f(x) don't do anything either (I'm not sure if there are any virtual terminals anyway). The power button has to be kept pressed to turn off and then be able to reboot.

The machine is an x40 IBM with a 1.2Ghz pentium m.

This is true for both 5.1 (official and ubuntustudioPE) AND 5.1.1. And it happens with both the ati/intel drivers and without any extra drivers installed. The graphics chipset is 855gme.

On usb stick installation it behaves as expected. It doesn't matter whether I use a save file or not. It just works. On hard disk installation however things go wicked. I tried using acpi=force as suggested in this thread but to no avail. I'm not completely noob with linux, but I'm nood enough so I don't know what else to try.

I haven't tried xvesa since I intend to do heavy graphic work on it. Yeah I know it's a laugh with 855gme but anyway it's better than xvesa anyway ...i suppose...

I love puppy, it's a fully functional and easy os where I can run blender/gimp/photoshop/renoise/sunvox/whatever I like to use. With some slight changes (fluxbox, conky, no rox pinboard) it boots from hd using just 25mb of ram!! leaving all the rest to hungry creativity. It's super fast, it's stable enough, it's nearly perfect ...err apart from that x-server issue and maybe one two others I can live with or overcome. Next thing I'm gonna try running is maya o.O

Any help welcome, any info or tests from my part, I'd be more than glad to provide

Thank you

p.s. aytmm crashes for fun, it's less tolerant than win95 when inserting a cd

Since I didn't get any answer and figured out myself the cause I'm qoting myself for any other that might have that problem

So, the curlpit was grub. When I installed it I choose 1024x768 as grub resolution. It's the max resolution the x40 screen supports. There was nothing showing on the screen while booting which I found odd but since it was booting and getting into a graphical shell I didn't bothered.

I thought about it when I decided to try an earlier version of puppy (boxpup, brilliant pupplet). That one was more tollerant than lucid puppy as I besides not been able to see anything when exiting xserver I was able to blindly type xwin or reboot or ctrl+alt+del while lucid was just dead.