Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Bugs, Fixes, & Feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
acrocosm

Re: x server crashes on exit/restart

#76 Post by acrocosm »

willem1940NLD wrote: Main principle: swap on other HD than the one which the OS is on, saves time because the processor giving orders to 2 disks almost simultaneously, works quicker than entering 1 same disk several times. Also, first partition is the quickest to reach.

On one-disk machines, for linux, swap as first partition goes without particulars but MS Windows then always funnily adds some (small) system files there.

Reason why I put a swap partition on both disks is, not to be without a swap partition if by whatever cause or reason the 2nd disk gets unmounted.
Yes on dual os situations with 2 disks I always use the one os on the first with its swap on the second and the other os on the second with swap on the first. Just alyaws, by habbit really, stick the swaps to the last partition of each disk.

On ram, yes, I've noticed such behaviour between different ram usage display programs.

prehistoric

d*mn "deprecated" strikes again

#77 Post by prehistoric »

Up until now, I've merely been irritated by the "deprecated" message concerning modules. This time it actually broke a script in network setup. I bought a D-Link WUA-2340 USB wireless adapter which was not immediately associated with a Linux driver module (I think we have an Atheros 9001U here.)

"Not to worry", says I, "I can use NDIS wrapper and the .inf file from Windows XP." Guess what happens when it tries to load the module? The "deprecated" message causes an error which prevents NDIS wrapper from working. :x

chopstyx

xorg high-glx

#78 Post by chopstyx »

first of all, congrats on a wonderful job with puppy 5.1.1
did a fresh install on an ancient acer notebook (1.7 centrino, 1gb ram, defunct ide-controller, ati x700m grfx)
to boot to the desktop, i have to choose vesa, after downloading and installing the xorg driver and restarting x-server the system stays with the vesa-driver. any thoughts?

bigpup

Re: xorg high-glx

#79 Post by bigpup »

chopstyx wrote:first of all, congrats on a wonderful job with puppy 5.1.1
did a fresh install on an ancient acer notebook (1.7 centrino, 1gb ram, defunct ide-controller, ati x700m grfx)
to boot to the desktop, i have to choose vesa, after downloading and installing the xorg driver and restarting x-server the system stays with the vesa-driver. any thoughts?
Installed Xorg driver. Is it the Xorg-high driver from Quickpet?

Follow this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58810

Written for Nvidia video card drivers, but the basic steps are the same for any video driver.

chopstyx

xorg high-glx

#80 Post by chopstyx »

thanks for your help, did another fresh install, downloaded the xorg-driver via ppm and followed the instructions in the link above.
i cannot find an entry-box in the xorgwizard/choose-dialog, so after selecting radeon from the list, xwin refuses to start and i have to revert to the vesa-driver. i'll stick to that for the time being...
one more thing: why would i need 200mb space on my save-file for the abovementioned procedure?

edit: yes, the first time 'round it was the xorg high-driver via quickpet

edit 2: xorg high-1.1-lucid
Last edited by chopstyx on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 21:20, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

Re: xorg high-glx

#81 Post by bigpup »

chopstyx wrote:thanks for your help, did another fresh install, downloaded the xorg-driver via ppm and followed the instructions in the link above.
i cannot find an entry-box in the xorgwizard/choose-dialog, so after selecting radeon from the list, xwin refuses to start and i have to revert to the vesa-driver. i'll stick to that for the time being...
one more thing: why would i need 200mb space on my save-file for the abovementioned procedure?

edit: yes, the first time 'round it was the xorg high-driver via quickpet
The xorg driver you downloaded from PPM, not sure which one you are talking about?

You have found that the Radeon driver will not work for your video card. You have to try another. With ATI cards, it does get to be a treasure hunt to find one that will work.
Very important that you follow the second part of the directions to install video driver after you try one. Very important that you remove old driver you have installed before trying new driver.
You could try a driver from the forum section drivers in Additional Software (Pets & Stuff)
(Xorgwizard now shows a list of drivers when you select choose, but older versions have an input window).
The 200mb space free in the save file is just a general figure to make sure there is enough room in the save file to download the new driver and install.
You will have a downloaded pet file and then it will be expanded and install to Puppy Linux. Some drivers can take up a lot of space.

johnSteed

PPM uninstall window needs vertical scroller

#82 Post by johnSteed »

Hi everybody, I'm new to puppy, as to linux.

Nevertheless, I managed to install the lucid 5.11 very easily on 2 old computers. I think that means the setup is very good, not me :)

Full automated succes with my Dell gx50 (128 Mb) with ethernet connection. I just improved screen resolution using the Quickpet Xorg High -GLX.

Quite as perfect for my laptop Armada 1700 (160 Mb). USR 5410 connected with WPA asked me some more post reading, and internal isa sound card needed to forbid auto pnp during the boot.

On The GX50 I installed samba 3.4.7 and this was less straightforward. Another bunch of reading and I got it working, both for shares and printers. I still need to spend time on security, though.

Using CUPS, I managed to install a HP C4180, but now I try to recognize an old Laserjet 1000. foo2zjs seems to be the right driver, but according to the foo homepage, I have to unpack and compile it.

So I tried to install make, which doesn't seem to be pre installed (Am I right ?) Using PPM, I downloaded and installed make with all its dependencies (many many many) As I did not succeed running make, I decided to remove all the packages related with PPM. (I'll give another try from a clean system)

And now the matter: there are so many dependencies for this package that the PPM window showing me them is not big enough. I can not click the bottom button to remove all in one time.

Is there a command line equivalent to bypass this?
Thanx for your help.

I join a snapshot of my screen.
Attachments
screen.png
(133.02 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by johnSteed on Thu 07 Oct 2010, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#83 Post by 8-bit »

When I hover over the internet icon on the task bar, I am shown total receive and transmit amounts for the month.
But it seems that when a new month rolls around, the counters do not reset but just keep adding to the totals for the previous month.
So how does one reset them?
Or am I missing something here?
Attachments
internet_totals.png
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 2570 times

willem1940NLD

Re: PPM uninstall window needs vertical scroller

#84 Post by willem1940NLD »

johnSteed wrote:.........................................

And now the matter: there are so many dependencies for this package that the PPM window showing me them is not big enough. I can not click the bottom button to remove all in one time.

Is there a command line equivalent to bypass this?
Thanx for your help.

I join a snapshot of my screen.
Somebody recently taught me a trick: press Alt key and mouse to move/drag the page.

maxpro4u

Re: PPM uninstall window needs vertical scroller

#85 Post by maxpro4u »

johnSteed wrote:Hi everybody, I'm new to puppy, as to linux.

Nevertheless, I managed to install the lucid 5.11 very easily on 2 old computers. I think that means the setup is very good, not me :)

Quite as perfect for my laptop Armada 1700 (160 Mb). USR 5410 connected with WPA asked me some more post reading, and internal isa sound card needed to forbid auto pnp during the boot.
Welcome to the forums!

just a note- do not run the "Complete Configuration Experience" on the Armada 1700- the tap feature will stop working and I haven't figured out how to get it back. (see below)
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

pemasu

#86 Post by pemasu »

So I tried to install make, which doesn't seem to be pre installed (Am I right ?) Using PPM, I downloaded and installed make with all its dependencies (many many many) As I did not succeed running make, I decided to remove all the packages related with PPM. (I'll give another try from a clean system)
Install devx.sfs for 5.1.1. It has make and everything included for compiling. Except kernel sources which needs kernel_source.sfs also.
Use alt + left click and drag page upwards. Do that repetitively enough.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58978

Peter444

Lucid Puppy 511 bugs

#87 Post by Peter444 »

Disconnect from network feature not working for me, frugal install

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Lucid 511 has been the most stable and usable Puppy for me to date, congratulations to all who contributed to this excellent Puppy

Health, Wealth and Happiness

Peter

shinobar

Re: Lucid Puppy 511 bugs

#88 Post by shinobar »

Peter444 wrote:Disconnect from network feature not working
Known issue.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01838
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 017#444017
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

tempestuous

#89 Post by tempestuous »

prehistoric wrote:I bought a D-Link WUA-2340 USB wireless adapter which was not immediately associated with a Linux driver module (I think we have an Atheros 9001U here.)
EDIT April 15 2011:
The D-Link WUA-2340 rev A1 requires the ar5523 driver, now available for Puppy 5.1/5.2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 414#513414
Last edited by tempestuous on Fri 15 Apr 2011, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

D-link WUA 2340 driver

#90 Post by prehistoric »

Thanks for the information, Tempestuous.

I had temporarily traded the new adapter for an older one, until that kernel reached stability. (Sheer cowardice, I know.)

My main reason for posting was to let people know that 'deprecated' message has some real consequences.

Now, I've got another message problem with changes in format from network time servers. Most of the time it still works, which is not great for an autostarted application. I've had non-deterministic failures which left the time and date so screwed up Firefox started warning me that the certificates for legitimate sites had expired. .

Does anyone still remember the "silence is golden" principle for combining simple tools? .
Attachments
time_error.jpg
Error message from autostarted time synch on Lucid 5.1.1
(56.75 KiB) Downloaded 2521 times

shinobar

Re: D-link WUA 2340 driver

#91 Post by shinobar »

prehistoric wrote:Now, I've got another message problem with changes in format from network time servers.
tasmod issued Psync-1.3
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42978
prehistoric wrote:Does anyone still remember the "silence is golden" principle for combining simple tools? .
I agree.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

prehistoric

Re: Psync 1.3

#92 Post by prehistoric »

shinobar wrote:
prehistoric wrote:Now, I've got another message problem with changes in format from network time servers.
tasmod issued Psync-1.3
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42978
Thanks!

Just a hint to anyone already running psync with autostart. You probably need to undo autostart, install the latest psync, then redo autostart and reboot, to make a complete changeover.

While I was testing the changes in psync 1.3, I had yet another non-deterministic failure in setting the time. This time it was off by 97,200 seconds, precisely 27 hours. I'm in the US on EDT, (currently GMT-4.) Does this error make sense to anyone?

bogie6040

Bash / Sh Scripts

#93 Post by bogie6040 »

I have a script that I was able to get working in puppy 431 but cannot get to work in Lupu. Even if I right click and make a new script it does not show up in a terminal. Clicking the script flashes a small box around the icon a few times and that is it.

If I use "F5" in Geany a box flashes on the screen for a second and then it's gone. When I modify the Geany tool path for terminal to: "/usr/bin/xterm -e bash -c" the terminal box comes up and my script runs as it should, which is great but I need the file itself when clicked to open up in a xterm window and run as it should when the script is clicked!

I have already tried the following threads:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52294
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40666
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42201

right clicking on a script file will NOT allow "Set Run Action" it is greyed out.
I've tried changing the file permissions but they do not change.

Am I totally missing something something? WTF?
I am running lucid puppy 5.1.1 as a frugal install from USB flash - if that makes any difference.

I would have attached a copy of the script in one form or another, but you are apparently not allowed to attach ANY kind of file.

kevin bowers

Re: Bash / Sh Scripts

#94 Post by kevin bowers »

bogie6040 wrote: I would have attached a copy of the script in one form or another, but you are apparently not allowed to attach ANY kind of file.
You can attach almost any compressed file. John Murga graciously grants us space for this forum but apparently asks us not to waste it. Simply drag your script to the "zip" icon and post the result. I don't know of a Linux distro that does not include gunzip so we can all read the result.

bogie6040

#95 Post by bogie6040 »

Kevin,

Thank you for your reply - I have figured out what the issue is... The script I was trying to get to work, was in a folder on the USB stick I used to boot puppy 5.1.1 up with (fat32 frugal install)

I would open up sda1 which would mount as /mnt/sda1/ then open my folder and if I tried to change the permission on my script file to "a - x" via the right click permissions menu option, no change would be made... ie: the "Set Run Action" in the menu never changed to black (runable)

When I made a new folder under the root directory from the "file" icon on the desktop and copied the script from the above mentioned folder (on sda1) to this new folder under root it would allow the permission to be changed and then allowed me to set the run action.

Hope this helps someone else out - seems to me it's a weird idiosyncrasy, but anyway - just frustrating when something doesn't work the way you expect it to. Sorry if I sounded curt in my previous post. I love this disto of linux it is by far the easyist to use of all the flavors I have ever tried. Thank you to Barry and everyone who has made it what it is today.