lupu 5.1 and Midori

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Jasper

lupu 5.1 and Midori

#1 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

@rcrsn51

Thank very much for your reply:

"In the older versions of Lupu that used Netsurf as the default browser, those menus didn't work. You need the new Lupu that has Midori as the default browser."

To my question at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ed1#448793

"Using CUPS 1.4.3 - if the "Maintenance" and "Administration" drop-down list menu items can be activated please be so kind as to explain how."

----------------------------------------------
I am really happy with Lucid Puppy 5.1 and I would rather not update to 5.1.1; however I would like to get the above menus to work and ask if there is a pet or another method to me to install Midori?

My regards

PS I thought my question might be of some general interest, but I did not want to clutter the main Puppy News thread (shown above) with this reply.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you installed another browser other than Netsurf? Is it declared as the default browser?

You may get better info if you post this in the Lupu threads.

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Firefox 3.6.8 is now set as my default browser, but the menu items are inactive.

I am content to see if there is any response here, but I'm glad I sought advice as I would never have discovered that my browser is the key to the solution.

My regards

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Does the CUPS web interface open in Firefox?

If not, open it directly by going to

Code: Select all

localhost:631
[Edit] Or locate the file /usr/local/bin/cupsview and change it to

Code: Select all

exec defaultbrowser localhost:631

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper »

Hi rcrsn51,

Thank you for your further help.

When I click on cupsview Firefox opens with the address http://localhost:631/ at the main CUPS screen.

I did not change anything and Firefox is still set as my default browser.

Much as I would like the menus to work I do not want you to spend a lot of your valuable time on a problem that may be specific to me.

My regards

I may raise new threads at some point as I still have two other printer/scanner issues I would like to resolve. Neither of those detract from my appreciation of Puppy which I find to be comprehensive, fast and stable.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I did a clean frugal install of Lupu 5.10. I installed Firefox and it became the default browser for CUPS. I added a printer. I pulled down the Maintenance menu and printed a test page. I pulled down the Admin menu and deleted the printer.

What is not working for you?

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Nothing is working for me. I cannot print a test page, or delete a printer as nothing happens when I click on those items in the lists.

I made a 5.1.1 CD so I'll try that with pfix=ram to see what happens.

My regards

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

It works from the 5.1.1 CD with Midori as the default browser. The CD includes Firefox 3.6.6 whereas I have v 3.6.8.

I may not upgrade until 5.2 (or even for a year or two) as almost everything works perfectly and it takes time to make all my desired changes.

If I see a pet for the latest version of Midori i will try that - otherwise I'll wait until I upgrade.

My regards

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you installed some extra Firefox plugins? I don't know what else would be blocking those menus.

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Have you installed some extra Firefox plugins? I don't know what else would be blocking those menus.
Noscript?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper »

Hi Guys,

That was the answer. I disabled my 15 add-ons en block and it worked.

I was going to try a one-at-a-time reinstall trial after reporting back here, but having read the response from DaveS I will test NoScript first.

It's good when things work and nearly as good when the cause of failure is known. Thank you for your expert help and time.

My regards

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Firefox went haywire a couple times so for now I have reset my default browser to netsurf and Firefox is back on its best behaviour, but although I have not yet been able to prove DaveS is right about NoScript I suspect he is certain to be.

I hope it is OK the ask my final unrelated printer question here?

I have a 12 year old ink-jet Epson Stylus Color 400 which prints four times faster from within Windows (at quality setting) than it does from within Puppy (either directly or from Wine). I used versions of Foxit Reader in all three tests.

I wonder if I might not be using the best driver in Puppy or if I might not have the right font in the right place, but as I'm quite clueless I would welcome any pointer or suggestion.

My regards

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Printing in Linux is always going to be slower than in Windows because of the additional layers of software that the print job must go through. Also, the print queue mechanism might be a major factor. Windows can push the print job directly through the parallel port while CUPS processes it through a queue.

Printing through Wine won't make any difference. IIRC, Wine just passes the print job back to the host's Linux printing system.

But a factor of four seems excessive. Are you using the Gutenprint driver for your Stylus C400? I have attached a PET that uses the built-in Ghostscript driver. It may be a bit faster, but I doubt it.

When you run CUPS, you will see it listed as "Epson Stylus Color 400 Foomatic/stcolor".
Attachments
epson-stylus-c400.pet
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

Jasper

#14 Post by Jasper »

Hi rcrsn51,

Thank you for all your star help. I will try the pet you kindly gave tomorrow as it is 12.45 am here and my printer is noisy. I can happily accept what I cannot improve and fortunately I rarely have a big print-load so I remain a dedicated convert to Puppy.

My regards

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper »

Hi rcrsn51,

As you thought my ink-jet printer Make and Model is described in CUPS as:
Epson Stylus Color 400 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5.

I have two pieces of good news to report:

(I) I use Wine and I have made Internet Explorer my default browser so now none of my Firefox add-ons conflicts with my CUPS menu lists, which I can now use.

(2) So I was able to select "Print Test Page" from the Maintenance drop-down list. That took 13' 56" to print in very good quality.

When I selected "Set Default Options" from the Administration drop-down list I saw that my setting was at Standard level.

I then re-set to Fast Economy and again tried "Print Test Page" this time it took a mere 46" and the output was of good qualty (with the text printed in a pleasant light grey) though the coloured circle was less impressive.

That is some 18 times faster than the first test - so I am really pleased.

My regards (and reiterated thanks)

This morning Firefox automatically updated (I had it set that way) to v 3.6.9. I was glad I had a full Puppy back-up in another partition as I had lots of trouble getting it to work properly again.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. How does 46 seconds compare to the time for a native Windows print test?

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

That test page is specific to CUPS 1.4.3, so I could scan that printed page in Windows and reprint from there, but I do not think that would be exactly equivalent.

However, from 12 years experience with Windows I'm pretty sure a fair comparison would be about 30 to 35" so I am well pleased.

My regards

The final problem is to try to get my ancient scanner working in Puppy. Forum members Aitch and Mobeus have been really helpful, but I have yet to win. I'll give everyone a rest for a couple of weeks and then raise a specific thread.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sir Jasper wrote:The final problem is to try to get my ancient scanner working in Puppy.
Based on Aitch's link, I have posted a howto for your Primax Colorado 9600 scanner in the Printers section.