Installing Puppy Linux on a thin client

Booting, installing, newbie
Eddos

Installing Puppy Linux on a thin client

#1 Post by Eddos »

Hello,

Recently i came across a few Igel thin clients (not from that link, its just for background info about the system).

My version is identical to the one above, only i have 64M of ram and a (recently purchased) 2GB CF card.

I am trying to convert these thin clients to a stand-alone solution; they could be ideal as print server or simple file server.
The problem with these systems is that i can only boot from the built-in CF card OR through PXE (not my preference)

My idea is to create several partitions on the bootable CF card.

I could then boot from one partition with the puppy .iso and install puppy on a different partition.

Any thoughts/ideas if this might work, and if not, what i could do to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

raffy

flash install

#2 Post by raffy »

You can boot a normal PC with the Puppy ISO then install Puppy to compact flash (using an adapter, assuming that you can take it out of the client).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Eddos

#3 Post by Eddos »

Tried to make the cf card bootable to run a live cd; Puppy hangs on ' loading kernel modules'.
I figured the client was just slow, but after 50 minutes i gave up.

So you say that it's no problem to install puppy on the cf card from another pc? i'll try to check if that works :)

DanYHKim

Setting up a Flash memory device to use as an IDE boot drive

#4 Post by DanYHKim »

I had previously posted about using a SD card in an adapter that plugs into the connector for an IDE hard drive.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51469

The card is formatted ext2 and flagged "bootable" using Gparted, then the essential Puppy Linux files are copied to it. Grub is installed and the menu.lst file is edited to make Grub look in the correct place for these files.

Does this help with your thin client machine?

Eddos

#5 Post by Eddos »

I've tried installing puppy by inserting the cf card in another machine, but that didn't work either.

My latest discovery is that i can boot from USB as well, my next try is creating a bootable puppy stick :)

Eddos

#6 Post by Eddos »

I can boot Puppy from USB now, and it's pretty fast on the Igel.
Now i am trying to run Sabnzbd+, i've installed python but that's about as far as i can get.
Anyone with more experience that can help out?
I tried the search function, but it did not give me any usable results.

[edit]

Trying the Puppy package manager now with custom repo's, will check in again if i have questions :)

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

If you have new questions you should post them in new threads
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Once you have got the cf card bootable with Grub4Dos it is just a question of copying the files from the CD (for a fugal install) and creating a menu.lst
I have several set up.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

I dont know what is going on but here goes.
many of us boot our EeePcs from SDcard.
Thin clients are the specialty of forum member amigo. Lobster also has knowledge. Perhaps message them.
If Via is a breed of Arm then puppy in its present form is of no use to you. Once again amigo is your man as he is doing a port to Arm. Still very interested to know how you get on.