choice of X server

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Romain

choice of X server

#1 Post by Romain »

Dear Barry and all Puppy's friends.

Is it possible to let the user choose his X server during the installation (like the keyboard or the mouse) ?

I have tried to rebuild Puppy with Xfree4.3.0 insteat of Xvesa, but I never managed to build the ISO file (ramdisk_size too small, apparently, and I don't know how to modify it).

If some Puppy users have troubles with the resolution or the frequency of the monitor, it would be a good idea to let him choose his X server.

If someone knows how to change the X server by adding/removing the suitable files, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Romain.

P.S. TeXmaker works perfectly on Puppy (compiled on Suse 9.2).

#2 Post by Guest »

Romain,
Textmaker is a PupGet package -- just go to the Start -> Setup menu and choose PupGet, then if you are connected to the Internet, installation of Textmaker is as easy as falling off a log.

For now, you can only change X server by rebuilding from scratch, using Unleashed.
It is in the back of my mind though, that we do need to do something about this...

Romain

TeX

#3 Post by Romain »

Dear Barry,

thank you for thinking about this (little) problem of X server.

By the way, I really meant *TeXmaker* (a LaTeX front end) and not *Textmaker*. The main usage of my computer is for scientific typesetting (with TeX, Xfig, TeXcad, etc.) and e-mails. This is why I prefer a simple OS like Puppy which suits (almost) perfectly my needs.

"Merci."

Romain.