USR 5637 USB modem + fax for Lucid Puppy 5.1

2byte

USR 5637 USB modem + fax for Lucid Puppy 5.1

#1 Post by 2byte »

The US Robotics model 5637 USB modem + fax works very well with Lucid Puppy 5.1. It is automatically recognized as ttyACM0 if it is plugged in at boot up.

FrankA

#2 Post by FrankA »

wow!

are you suggesting efax is actually working ? I have some softmodem's that have got drivers but I would rather rely on a USB modem instead, if I knew that it would be working in a recent Linux distro.

2byte

#3 Post by 2byte »

Efax-GTK is working. I compiled it and tested it with this modem in Lupu 5.1

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 476#442476

I can't say if efax works by itself.

FrankA

#4 Post by FrankA »

great news. I found ure post myself a second ago.

with this pet faxing works very well.

efax works as command line interface independently also.

tested with slmodem 2.9.11

sending fax seemd to work, but receiving was unreliable.
ghostscript crashed eventually, even tho the remote retrained
slmodem downto 2400 bps fallback. wow.

some lines of the rcv fax were visible tho. I cant really say whether sending is better, although the log file indicates few problems.

Frank Cox

Serial /Harware Modem

#5 Post by Frank Cox »

Those who already know all this please disregard .
The 5637 is a serial/hardware modem. before 2002 most internal modems and all external modems were hardware modems, in other words they relied on the modem hardware to connect. Since then the vast majority of the internal modems and lately many of the externals are referred to as winmodems or software modems.
Software, or winmodems as they are called use the cpu to do most of the modems work and all they are is basically a phone line interface. They are called winmodems because windows is the only operating system the vast majority of these modems are supported by.

When there is a Linux driver they are then called linmodems. my experiance is that unless it is a laptop where an external modem is an issue it is not worth the trouble. One can spend a great deal of time searching for the correct driver for windows or linux and you may find the only "free' driver runs at 14baud and it cost 20.00 to unlock it. Again maybe , just maybe it is worth it with a laptop but no way for a desktop.
One can usually buy a new winmodem you know will work with your version of linux for less than 20.00 and nowadays you can but a serial/ hardware modem for that kind of money. I bought a USRobotics external serial the other day for 20.00 including shipping, that is what the linmodem driver cost and a hardware modem is superior to a win/linmodem period. Hardware modems give you consistently higher speeds and are much less apt to drop calls and knock you offline.

The 5637 is around 40.00 and a good option for as laptop as it is small and requires no external power source. I bought a Chinese knockoff today for 10.15 and am looking forward to see if it works.
On my Gateway laptop I got the internal winmodem to work for the first time in Wary 060 but I am not willing to set up , or better said , attempt to setup a winmodem in Ubuntu ever again. I would rather carry the external around than do that . Sometimes you have to run the setserial program or maybe tell the computer what port you are going to use but I have never had a problem setting up a hardware modem, just a few minutes .
P.S. If you find an old USRobotics Sporster 33.6 faxmodem or pretty much any old external serial modem there is a very good chance you can download a flash utility to upgrade it to v 92 and those old modems are commercial quality , they were made to handle things like credit card transactions , pull credit bureau reports and such that required highly reliable connections before broadband was available and are still used by some small businesses , they will run seemingly forever. I have 2 of them and nothing works any better.

Here is the USRobotics external.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTERNAL-SERIAL-USB ... 336141a46a

Here is the knockoff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0490722367