Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mavrothal

Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup

#1 Post by mavrothal »

Update Aug 20, 2011: XOpup-2.2 has been Released

(Jun 10, 2012: For other more recent puppy builds modified for the XO laptops, look here)
Nov 30, 2012: For Puppy Precise 5.4.2 for the XO, look here)
(Mar 14, 2013: For Racy, Precise and Slacko 5.5 for the XO, look here)
(May 31, 2013: For Precise 5.6.1 for the XO, look here)
(Sep 12, 2013: The first puppy - FatDog actually- build for XO-4 and XO-1.75 can be found here)
(Oct 3, 2013: Version 1.0 of FatDog-ARM for the XO-4 has been released. See here for more)
(Nov 1, 2013: Version 1.1 of FatDog-ARM for the XO-4 has been released. See here for more)

Mar 13, 2014: A new FatDog-ARM beta for the XO-4 and the XO-1.75 has been released. See here for more

Find ALL Puppylinux builds for the OLPC XO-1, XO-1.5 and XO-4 collected HERE by "ally"

XOpup was developed by mavrothal and 01micko
Mitch Bradley (OLPC) was instrumental in booting puppy on the XO
Paul J Fox (OLPC) was critical in debugging and modifying power management and keyboard function in XOpup.
Anna and Eddie Owens helped with the sound at the initial steps of the project, and ttuuxxx had many helpful comments and encouragement during the difficult start.

XOpup-2.2 has a number of improvements and updates over XOpup-2.1. Among them:
  • New Frisbee network manager as default. Is much more user friendly and flexible
    New power management that properly detects external devices (mice etc)
    New initrd/init and rc.sysinit scripts for faster boot (by 10-20 sec, depending on the setup).
    The traditional boot sequence is also available
    New kernels and Aufs-utils, for a more puppy-like experience
    Kernel devel and headers are now provided as pets instead of RPMs
    Proper detection of the XO keyboard via udev
    New XO-1.5 chrome and XO-1 geode 2.11.12 video drivers
    Addition of an alternative /boot/olpc.fth that may improve card detection with some "difficult" SDcards
    New Right-click functionality
    Addition of 7z and xz, compression/decompression utilities
    Addition of yad/zenity infrastucture
    New devices to match F14/OLPC-11.x.x builds
    New reset-touchpad app that may improve erratic behavior of the XO-1 touchpad
    New gecko media player plugin for in-browser movie playback
    New wallpapers, XOpup logo and PuppyPin
    New desktop icon setup app
    Updates of: Gnome media player, sfs_load, wallpaper, snapmerge, Psync, Pmusic, Pschedule, Pfind, pupRadio, you2pup, gtkdialog, bash, transmission, squashfs-tools-4.2, xarchive and repo data lists
Please do read the build announcement and the change log for the numerous new features and functions.

To install XOpup-2.2 download the XOpup-2.2.tar.gz file (md5sum: a05a34ba7ddac575cba785eedcad5479), expand it at the root of an ext2/ext3/vfat formatted USB or SDcard and boot your unlocked XO-1 or XO-1.5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Mar 9, 2011: XOpup-2.1 is out

XOpup-2.1 is a slimmed down (to 88MB!) version of XOpup-1.0 and now supports equally well the XO-1 and the XO-1.5
The main changes compared to XOpup-1.0 are:
  • Addition of Openbox/fbpanel window manager that is screen rotation aware
    Screen, touchpad, Dpad and arrow-keys rotation
    New XO-1.5 chrome video driver that supports rotation
    XO camera support through the Guvcview application
    New olpc-2.6.35-based kernels for both the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 (a new 2.6.31 kernel for the XO-1 is also provided)
    A first attempt of a Spanish localization package (included in the download)
    Jamesbond's new snapmergepuppy that dramatically decreases savefile and shutdown times
    Shinobar's new "sfs_load on the fly" for loading and unloading sfs without reboot.
    External monitor/projector, firewall, samba shares and bluetooth support
    Improvements in the puppyfile detection and the shutdown process
    Better power management
    Updated XO-version-specific Quickpet and PPM repo data
    Updated Flash player
    Trio's you2pup-2.1.2. Very handy, particularly on the XO-1
    New XOpup-specific desktop backgrounds
    "xopup"-based instead of "lupu"-based SFS names
    Many more updates and under-the-hood changes.
    See the change log for the changes from XOpup-2.0.
To install XOpup-2.1 download the XOpup-2.1.tar.gz file (md5sum:800b9351753fe792a5e14c5c39e0fe16), expand it at the root of an ext2/ext3/vfat formatted USB or SDcard and boot your XO-1 or XO-1.5.

Do see the Build Announcement for more info requirements issues etc.

Note: Some SDcards may have troubles with the XO. In this case try this solution

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 18, 2010: This is it folks XOpup-1.0 is out[/size]. :D
More informative battery monitor, new airplane mode, pupdial that works with 3G modems, fixed UI in pupradio, hardware/setup-aware first-run screen, improvements in the package manager, etc.
Major stability improvements in running from a lupusave file with new kernel, aufs-utils, and power management. See here for more details.
The links below have been updated accordingly.

XOpup-1 is based on Puppylinux 5.1.1 with several customizations to fit the hardware.
In addition to the custom kernels and under the hood optimizations, it includes custom desktop, quickpet, first-run screen, battery monitor, touchpad widget for XO-1, swap-file maker and power management.
It also includes other goodies like the free-memory deamon, the lupu-511 "light" version of the Midori browser as default, and all the standard Puppylinux 5.1.1 applications and programs.

To install, download XOpup-1.0.tar.gz
(md5sum: e01bced2c4d24677119291ec3a3ef501 )
expand it at the root of a VFAT or etx2/3 formatted USB stick or SDcard, load the stick/card on the XO-1 or XO-1.5 and boot!
Please see the full build announcement for requirements, info and known issues

The same file should be used for both the Geode LX800 XO-1 and the VIA C7-M XO-1.5 models as well as USB sticks or SDcards, without further modifications.

See also:
- If you rather use ext2/3 formatted media find here some (newbe-style) formatting and installation instructions
- A fairly detailed changelog (XOpup-building labyrinth really :D ) that could be used to build XOpup, but mostly to identify pitfalls and how you shouldn't be doing things :D

Please test (specially if you have an XO-1.5), fix ( ;) ) and report problems here.
Last edited by mavrothal on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 08:06, edited 48 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Let's have fun testing :wink:

Any updates to anything I have contributed will appear here.

Cheers

I just went through the rigmarole of updating the firmware to q2e45. My xo-1 wouldn't work with an SD card, but was booting fine with usb sticks.

For those unsure, in the build announcement there is a link to the q2e45 firmware update instructions..

I kept getting this error

Code: Select all

Firmware has bad internal CRC
The md5sum checked out and all. I downloaded the firmware to the internal NAND. It failed from there but succeeded whn I downloaded the firmware to an USB drive formatted to FAT (on my main machine). I put the firmware in the /boot directory on the USB drive, power cycled the xo-1 with USB drive inserted, hit the X at initial boot, (corresponds to [Esc] key :wink: ), then at the 'ok' prompt ran

flash u:\boot\q2e45.rom
Thanks for the tip rico99

Below is a web cam app called guvcview. It needs dependencies, jack, libv4l, portaudio, SDL.. I packaged them togrther for convenience, enjoy!

I have rewritten the freeramdaemon script to offer creation of a swapfile. This is mainly useful on the XO-1 due to it's limited RAM. Just extract the tarball and place the file in /usr/local/bin/ overwriting the original
Cheers
Attachments
freeramdaemon-0.3.tar.gz
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 2432 times
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 01 Mar 2011, 04:25, edited 3 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Um.. double post.. maybe it was meant to be? :lol:

mavrothal

Unrelated

#4 Post by mavrothal »

Unrelated to the thread but...
a fellow puppian send me a PM that I deleted by mistake before I had the chance to reply or even see, and I do not remember the username. :oops:
Pls send again if you want.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rrolsbe

Problems with pup.swp and pupsave file with new RC for OLPC

#5 Post by rrolsbe »

I untarred the tarball to a blank ext2 formatted usb stick. It boots into the RC of Puppy for the OLPC but doesn't enable the created swap file; likewise, the pupsave file dialog is not presented so the pupsave file is NOT created. Of course, when I reboot nothing is saved from the previous boot session.

When I issued the free command on my XO-1 (256MB) very little RAM was available immediately after the initial boot session.

Regards, Ron

BTW, the previous V3/V4 Puppy installs on this XO-1 worked better than anything I had used prior.

Regards, Ron

mavrothal

Re: Problems with pup.swp and pupsave file with new RC for OLPC

#6 Post by mavrothal »

rrolsbe wrote:I untarred the tarball to a blank ext2 formatted usb stick. It boots into the RC of Puppy for the OLPC but doesn't enable the created swap file; likewise, the pupsave file dialog is not presented so the pupsave file is NOT created. Of course, when I reboot nothing is saved from the previous boot session.
Do you by any chance had already a lupusve.2fs (or .3fs) file in your stick? A previous lupusave can not be used with different versions but during boot puppy sees it and thinks it's OK.

The first time you boot XOpup-1.0 and then "Menu->Shutdown->Poweroff computer" will (should unless you already have a lupusavefile) ask you if you want to save the session, and how. Does it?

If not, look for two things, either a lupusave file or (if you ever used XOpup and saved to the entire partition) for the invisible ".wh..wh....." folders. Try "ls -a" to see them. Erase them and start over.

If you have already settings in the old lupusave file that you want to save (like firefox setup and bookmarks), rename the lupusave file to something like "lupusave._2fs_". Then boot XOpup-1 make a new lupusave or save to the partition.
Then you can mount your old lupusave and recover your data. eg

mkdir oldsave
mount -o loop lupusave._2fs_ oldsave
Then open the "oldsave" folder and get your data
Normally all the user data are in the /root folder. Copy them bach to your new root folder. Do not copy everything. Just what you want.
A lot of it is invisible. Just click the eye on the window menu to see them
When I issued the free command on my XO-1 (256MB) very little RAM was available immediately after the initial boot session.
This is normal for the first run

BTW, the previous V3/V4 Puppy installs on this XO-1 worked better than anything I had used prior.
Hopefully 1.0_RC is better :D

mavrothal

#7 Post by mavrothal »

Hmmm... it looks like that depending on the USB kind/brand you can have this problem of not saving in the first session.
I tried 6 sticks
My usual 2 Sandisk micro ext2(2GB) and ext3(4GB) formetted had no problem
A generic 1GB vfat also had no problem
A second generic 2GB vfat did not boot at all
A third 8GB vfat booted but did not save the session
Finally the third ext3 (actually a 4GB kingstone SDcard mounted either at the SDslot or at the USBport with an adapter) gave the "not saved session" problem.

Could you please verify that the same stick was ok with v3-v4 and no reformatting or anything else changed in between?

Apparently there is a number of changes in rc.shutdown, function4puppy(4), snapmergepuppy (other?) in lupu510 vs lupu-511 that could account for this issue.

We need to look at it, but for now all I can say is try another stick card.

rrolsbe

Problem saving pupsave on usb stick

#8 Post by rrolsbe »

The stick that worked with V3 was a Kingston 4G Datatraveler model DTI/4G ext3 partition. The stick I loaded the RC on was a Kingston 8G Datatraveler model DTI/8G ext2 partition.

Update: Loaded V4 on the 8G stick (the one that did not work with RC) and the pupsave file and swap WERE created.

The two were purchased a few years ago within a few month of each other.
I loaded it on the 8G stick because I wanted to make sure everything worked and if it didn't I would revert back to the 4G stick with V3.

I have an external USB hub attached to one of the XO-1 USB ports with an external mouse/keyboard/wired ethernet attached. I must unplug the USB hub when booting from the 4G Kingston (using V3) until the boot process starts; however, using the 8G Kingston it boots with the USB hub attached. I did try booting the 8G Kingston (RC installed) with the USB hub NOT attached to verify that didn't have anything to do with the pupsave not being created on shutdown.

Maybe it is time to buy some new SDHC cards to experiment with. Wish I knew which ones worked good with the XO-1. I have read that the SDHC read/write speed is not very good on the XO-1, so paying a premium price for a class 10 might not be worth it. Could buy a few class 10's and use them on my ASUS 904HA and use the old ones for the XO-1.

I loaded V4 on a 16G Apacer SDHC card and it worked for awhile then became flaky. I had this same problem when I loaded Ubuntu on this Apacer stick over a year ago. The 16G Apacer is not recognized reliably on my other laptops either. The Apacer is a Class 6 P/N-AP16GSDHC6. Don't know much about the Apacer brand maybe not a good brand?

I know this is getting long. You mentioned loading Puppy onto a FAT16/32 stick works but the pupsave file save time at shutdown is VERY long. I have booted many USB sticks using the factory fat16/32 file system with Puppy loaded onto my ASUS and have never had long save times on shutdown. Any further information/pointers to further information regarding the slow save time would be appreciated.

Thanks Very Much for Your Cycles
Regards, Ron

mavrothal

tame missbehaved media

#9 Post by mavrothal »

So,
if you come across these misbehaved media that do not want to save the session after the first boot, because Puppy can not determine where they are mounted, just tell it! 8)

In traditional Puppy you have the boot options. In XOpup these options are passed by the command line arguments of the /boot/olpc.fth file.

To tame a misbehaved SDcard add "PDEV1=mmcblk0p1" in /boot olpc.fth so line 85 will look like that

" console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22 PDEV1=mmcblk0p1" expand$ to boot-file
To "convince" a USB stick to behave add "PDEV1=sda1" so line 85 will look like that

" console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22 PDEV1=sda1" expand$ to boot-file
All my "non saving" media where OK with this.
Is not as "automatic as we would like it but the diversity in flash storage media is really big even between the same product of the same company!
And XO is not a saint either... (only Puppy is :P )

01micko

Re: tame missbehaved media

#10 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:So,
if you come across these misbehaved media that do not want to save the session after the first boot, because Puppy can not determine where they are mounted, just tell it! 8)

In traditional Puppy you have the boot options. In XOpup these options are passed by the command line arguments of the /boot/olpc.fth file.

To tame a misbehaved SDcard add "PDEV1=mmcblk0p1" in /boot olpc.fth so line 85 will look like that

" console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22 PDEV1=mmcblk0p1" expand$ to boot-file
To "convince" a USB stick to behave add "PDEV1=sda1" so line 85 will look like that

" console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22 PDEV1=sda1" expand$ to boot-file
All my "non saving" media where OK with this.
Is not as "automatic as we would like it but the diversity in flash storage media is really big even between the same product of the same company!
And XO is not a saint either... (only Puppy is :P )
mavrothal... couldn't we make that an 'if' statement? It surely would do no harm on cards that do behave, and then it would be automatic, maybe Mitch's advice is needed.

Cheers

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

" Kingston 8G Datatraveler "

Horrible usb. I had issues 2 weeks ago.
Finally the Hirens formatter loaded it.

Chris.

rrolsbe

PDEV1 paramater works.

#12 Post by rrolsbe »

RC worked great with the 8G Kingston stick using the above!!!
Thanks Much
Ron

rrolsbe

A few quick questions

#13 Post by rrolsbe »

Just read the release notes again for XOpup-1.0_RC and need a little clarification.

Power management
Updated to powerd v28 so the XO will turn-off wifi in suspend

Does this mean we now know how to turn off the WiFi or does it just work in suspend mode? I was going to take my XO on a plane trip in about a week but I need to know how to turn off the wireless.

I added an XO-1 overclock section ;) that user can activate at will

Looks like overclocking is not being used by default on the RC as it was in versions v1-4, correct?

500Mhz CPU and 200Mhz bus speed is what was default on V1-4, correct?

Thanks Much
Regards, Ron

mavrothal

Re: A few quick questions

#14 Post by mavrothal »

rrolsbe wrote: Does this mean we now know how to turn off the WiFi or does it just work in suspend mode? I was going to take my XO on a plane trip in about a week but I need to know how to turn off the wireless.
Powerd turns off everything in suspend and thus the wifi too. Obviously this can not be used as an "airplane mode". The problem is that Puppy has issues with rfkill (which is the proper method) and thus inactivated in Puppy-proper. Rfkill is included in the XO kernels but does not work properly.
You could edit /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit not to load the wifi (lines 493 to 562!), but this may be messy and I do not know how reliable as an airplane mode

Short answer: No (t yet)
I added an XO-1 overclock section ;) that user can activate at will

Looks like overclocking is not being used by default on the RC as it was in versions v1-4, correct?

500Mhz CPU and 200Mhz bus speed is what was default on V1-4, correct?
Correct. But due to the long warning list that I guess you read, is not anymore. Will void warranty :lol:

mavrothal

XOpup-1.0_RC2

#15 Post by mavrothal »

XOpup has been updated to RC2 :D

Thanks to Mitch Bradley's new Forth boot script, puppy does not need to figure out where is booting from (and occasionally fail). Open firmware just tell it very reliably! So even bad USB/SDcards (eg with long response times) can be used for XOpup.
However, this kind of media may give you reliability problems...

There is also a new kernel for XO-1. To the casual user does not make a difference but if you want to compile kernel modules or drivers, is important.

There is also an "Airplane mode" (rrolsbe... :D ). However, this is a software block of the wifi at the kernel level, which means that by mistake or some "strange" software combo/bug can be reactivated! Please see Note 9 of the build announcement. and more details about RC2, here

Download from the top post of this tread.

mavrothal

RC3

#16 Post by mavrothal »

XOpup-1.0_RC2 had a 2 copies of iwpriv :oops:
Nothing dramatic, but the file was eliminated and the build became RC3. Check the top post

Lerc

#17 Post by Lerc »

Great Work in getting this going.

I've installed it on sd card and I'm already pulling it to bits and breaking it :-)

The load to ram is a bit of a killer on an XO-1. You run out quickly and swapping on SD is not so nice. I bumped the size check up in init, which worked nicely except if you do the merge store rather than lupusave.2fs it forces a load to ram of lupu-511.sfs. (lines 1120-1126) of init.

there's a comment of.
#100406 this came about because aufs did not work if an sfs mounted via loop device as one layer
#was actually resident on another layer. however latest patched aufs may allow this...
If you're doing a patched kernel anyway, you may want to look at having that to allow merge without load to ram.

I've got a save-file running at the moment. I was hoping to have the home directory on mmcblk0p2 (and swap on mmcblk0p3 (btw, there's no node for this if you have three partitions on your sd, I have to mknod /dev/mmcblk0p3 b 179 3)) but a boot parameter of PHOME=mmcblk0p2 doesn't appear to be doing anything for me.

Lots of good stuff though. I'll see if I can get some of my XO bits running on it to contribute to the setup. Playing with it made me finally get off my butt and dive into the ROX-Filer source. I've suppressed Open while icons are winking so you don't accidentally launch two copies of things if you double click.

More when I've broken it some more.

mavrothal

#18 Post by mavrothal »

Lerc wrote:The load to ram is a bit of a killer on an XO-1. You run out quickly and swapping on SD is not so nice.
When I originally tried puppy on the XO all I had to do (besides the kernel) was to copy the content of the FSF in the partition and run it "normally" (not in RAM) eg in the "full install" version. (loop mount to a folder and copy in /)
I have not tried it with XOpup but I do not see why it wouldn't work. Then you can have you home file anywhere you want. Just adjust fstab.

Regarding Swap on SDcard I run the same card with swap 2 years now for all the builds I tried on the XO (Fedora/Ubuntu/Puppy etc) and has 0 bad blocks! It also holds teapots Ubuntu! I'm clearly lucky with this card (A 4GB class 6 Transend) but I had no problems with Swap and OS on the same card (yet :twisted: )
Lerc wrote:More when I've broken it some more
..and fix it :wink:

Lerc

#19 Post by Lerc »

mavrothal wrote: Regarding Swap on SDcard I run the same card with swap 2 years now for all the builds I tried on the XO (Fedora/Ubuntu/Puppy etc) and has 0 bad blocks! It also holds teapots Ubuntu! I'm clearly lucky with this card (A 4GB class 6 Transend) but I had no problems with Swap and OS on the same card (yet :twisted: )
I think the notion of bad blocks from swapping is largely a myth, The write speed of the devices combined with the wear levelling standard on SD would mean you'd need to be thrashing for quite a few years before you hit something like 100k writes on a spot.

I was mostly referring to the slowdown to swapping, I've done some speed tests on the SD in my machine and it reads at 9MB/sec. I suspect writes are slower. I'll do some write tests when I next trash a partition.

Interestingly I can read from USB at 12MB/sec without slowing SD reads for a combined 21MB/sec. (That particular thumbdrive managing 17MB/sec without SD access). Swap is supposed to load balance on even priority drives so perhaps the ideal setup is 3 thumbdrives+SD :-)

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal and others who want to try

I have vastly simplified the 'airplane mode' to just 1 script, it works fine on xo-1 and no reason it wont on xo-1.5. It is based on tempestuous' and jemimah's work just flipping the switch in /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

Here it is..

#!/bin/sh
#olpc rfkill script 
#turns off wifi so you can use in a plane or use a 3G modem
#20101003 gpl 01mick@gmail.com
WIFISTATE=`cat /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state`
killwifi (){
if [[ $WIFISTATE = 1 ]];then 
	ifconfig eth0 down
	echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
	Xdialog --timeout 5 --msgbox "Wireless conectivity is off" 0 0 0
		else Xdialog --timeout 5 --msgbox "Your wireless conectivity is already off"  0 0 0
fi
}
export -f killwifi
startwifi (){
if [[ $WIFISTATE = 0 ]];then 
	echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
	sleep 1
	ifconfig eth0 up 2>/dev/null
	sleep 1
	/usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun --connect &
	Xdialog --timeout 5 --msgbox "Wireless conectivity is on \n If your connection failed \nright click the network tray icon \n and select \"Reconnect to Network\"" 0 0 0
		else Xdialog --timeout 5 --msgbox "Your wireless conectivity is already on" 0 0 0
fi
}
export -f startwifi
if [[ $WIFISTATE = 1 ]];then TEXT1="Click the button to turn 
off your wireless device."
		TEXT2="<text><label>Turn Off</label></text>"
		BUTTON="<button><input file>/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/networkdead.xpm</input><action>killwifi &</action><action>EXIT:wifioff</action></button>"
	else TEXT1="Click the button to turn 
on your wireless device."
			TEXT2="<text><label>Turn On</label></text>"
			BUTTON="<button><input file>/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/networkboth.xpm</input><action>startwifi &</action><action>EXIT:wifion</action></button>"
fi
export TEXT1
export TEXT2
export BUTTON
export RFKILLSCRIPT="
<window title=\"Toggle Wifi\">
 <vbox>
  <frame>
  <hbox homogeneous=\"true\">
   <pixmap>
    <input file>/usr/share/icons/xo.png</input>
   </pixmap>