How to switch kernels between Puppy versions

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
peebee

#16 Post by peebee »

sc0ttman wrote:It boots,.. but should I switch around the symlinks to mksquashfs3 and mksquashfs4?
(So that the default mksquashfs will be mksquashfs4...)
Gosh - no idea - needs an "expert" to answer that.....

I've been making hybrids between recent woof based puppies so haven't run into those sort of issues.....

vanchutr

#17 Post by vanchutr »

1. Aim: Bump kernel 2.6.31.14 in (of) Wary 500 to Puppy 432 (kernel 2.6.30.5)
2. Progress steps
(a). Run (boot) Puppy 432
(b). Copy pup-432.sfs to pup-0432.sfs and open pup-0432.sfs
(c). Copy all in opened pup-0432.sfs in any place (e.g /tmp/sq) (in an ext2 partition)
(d). umount pup-0432.sfs (and you can delete pup-0432.sfs)
(e). Open /tmp/sq and delete these directories: /etc/modules, lib/firware, lib/modules
(f). Open wary_500.sfs and copy these directories: /etc/modules, lib/firware, lib/modules (from wary_500.sfs to /tmp/sq)
(g). Unmount wary_500.sfs
(h). Open terminal (console) at /tmp
(i). Run: mksquashfs sq wary_500.sfs. You will get a "new wary_500.sfs"
(j). Test boot "new wary_500.sfs" with initrd.gz and vmlinuz of wary 500.
*** Some apps will be updated after boot the new wary_500.sfs

Any comments?
Thanks

peebee

Method #3?

#18 Post by peebee »

vanchutr wrote:Any comments?
Thanks
Hi vanchutr

Looks like this is a "3rd way" or method #3??

Did it work? Did you get a working pup432 with a wary500 kernel?

Are there any advantages over the other 2 methods as you see it?

If I understand correctly you are putting the wary500 kernel into pup432 - but you get a new wary500 so its like method #1? I guess I like method #2 best so far as it maintains the correct puppy identity and it uses built in utilities from the menu - so no install of .pets and no typing into terminals.

Thanks
Peter

James C

#19 Post by James C »

I just followed the steps in the first post and made a retro Lucid 520 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel. No problems at all....posting from it now.
Really interesting thread....
Attachments
Lucid-520 2.6.30.5.png
(67.53 KiB) Downloaded 3276 times

vanchutr

#20 Post by vanchutr »

Thanks to your comments, Peebee (Peter)
Looks like this is a "3rd way" or method #3??
It is'nt a third way (it's a trick). I don't care about edit_init..
Did it work? Did you get a working pup432 with a wary500 kernel?
I works with all apps installed in old Pupy 432 but with new kernel from Wary 500.
Are there any advantages over the other 2 methods as you see it?
No too much. I don't use other apps (scripts). No need to install anything. You can compare with other "methods" with my trick.
If I understand correctly you are putting the wary500 kernel into pup432 - but you get a new wary500 so its like method #1? I guess I like method #2 best so far as it maintains the correct puppy identity and it uses built in utilities from the menu - so no install of .pets and no typing into terminals.
Same effects if you test my trick. I test this trick in order: "Don't spare to much time to compile, update a new kernel while you can use a good kernel from your Puppy friends"

Thanks,
Nice days to you

peebee

#21 Post by peebee »

James C wrote:I just followed the steps in the first post and made a retro Lucid 520 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel. No problems at all....posting from it now.
Hi James C - useful if you could say which Puppy gave you the 2.6.30.5 kernel - thanks.

peebee

Fluppy 011 with Wary 500 kernel

#22 Post by peebee »

I've put the Wary 500 kernel into Fluppy 011:

Method #1 and Method #3 both worked OK but with Method #2 the XServer would not start (neither Xorg or XVesa) - so there is at least one scenario where Method #2 has problems - Fluppy 011 is not a Woof Puppy as I understand it but is based on Puppy431 but with a kernel that is actually newer than Wary500 so not sure why there might be Xserver problems....also the RemasterPup in Fluppy seems to be a little different than the Lupu520 version.

I've also put the spup055 kernel into lupu520 for my Thinkpad 600E - runs OK in just 196MB ram and gives me wifi capabilities.

James C

#23 Post by James C »

peebee wrote:
James C wrote:I just followed the steps in the first post and made a retro Lucid 520 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel. No problems at all....posting from it now.
Hi James C - useful if you could say which Puppy gave you the 2.6.30.5 kernel - thanks.
I used the kernel from ttuuxxx's latest 4.32..... it had more drivers so the resulting 5.20 ended up at 138 mb.

sc0ttman

#24 Post by sc0ttman »

James C, peebee and vanchutr,

Did you follow the steps which include replacing DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz file?

Or did you simply rename your new sfs to that of the original kernel puppy?

Using the remasterpup method, I cannot get my new iso to find any puppy/wary .sfs if I edit the DISTRO_SPECS in initrd.gz.
I must always rename it to the filename of the kernel puppies sfs file, and not edit DISTRO_SPECS
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

peebee

#25 Post by peebee »

sc0ttman wrote:James C, peebee and vanchutr,

Did you follow the steps which include replacing DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz file?
Hi sc0ttman

No - I didn't do this step
this is what I did for methods 1 & 3
Using the remasterpup method, I cannot get my new iso to find any puppy/wary .sfs if I edit the DISTRO_SPECS in initrd.gz.
I must always rename it to the filename of the kernel puppies sfs file, and not edit DISTRO_SPECS
Using method 2 remasterpup it didn't seem that any changes to DISTRO_SPECS were needed either in the /etc version or elsewhere.

Cheers
Peter

James C

#26 Post by James C »

sc0ttman wrote:James C, peebee and vanchutr,

I did replace DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz and did not rename the sfs. Burned a cd and worked fine. :)

peebee

Success report: Fluppy013 on Wary510

#27 Post by peebee »

Success report:

Just to report that I've put the wary504 kernel into fluppy013 and it works well on my HP550 laptop - gives me agere modem support (from wary) and hibernate to ram (from fluppy) both of which are very useful when away from home. Frisbee is also good at finding wireless connections if these are available.

I used Method #1 but a wrinkle is that as wary504 comes in 2 parts with a zdrv .sfs then the sfs edit is a bit simpler (no need to copy /lib/firmware as this is in the wary zdrv file).

A point of interest (maybe) is that the previous version of wary (wary503) which Barry implemented with his simple .sfs names wouldn't work for me - so lets hope he's droppped this idea.

[edit]wary510 is now out and Barry has reverted to a single .sfs with the original "version" names - fluppy013 with the wary510 k2.6.32.28 kernel works great using Method#1. [/edit]

Cheers
Peter
Attachments
screenie.png
(167.81 KiB) Downloaded 1876 times

peebee

#28 Post by peebee »

Just to report that I was able to switch the kernels for both

lupu528

and slacko4.99.7

today to use the kernel from wary5.1.103 using method #1

so that my Agere HDA modem could be used in both these puppies

See screen shot attached.

Cheers
Peter
Attachments
screen.png
(147 KiB) Downloaded 2490 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ozsouth

LuRa52

#29 Post by ozsouth »

Using basically method 1, I've inserted Racy 522's 3.0.7 PAE kernel into Lupu 528.
Extra steps:- I also inserted Racy's /etc/DISTRO_SPECS, and via ISOMaster, replaced Racy's .sfs with renamed, edited one from Lupu, creating LuRa52.iso
Can now access over 3Gb ram, with Lupu's stability & familiarity.

*** NOTE:- if you try opening .sfs files in ROX with the new iso, you'll get a version error. Can still open them in Edit-SFS. ***
Attachments
LuRa52.jpg
(32.27 KiB) Downloaded 1337 times

ozsouth

LuSl

#30 Post by ozsouth »

Inserting Slacko-531-PAE-HIGHMEM's 2.6.39.4 kernel into Lucid 529, using same method as previous post, is even better. SFS's now openable via ROX.

nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

Wow very interesting thread.

Hope something good comes out of it.
Some kernels fail to have drivers for
some hardware. This way maybe one
can go for a kernel that actually works
and still use that in a version that where
made using another kernel.

so keep up this good work and hope for success
and easy descriptions that even us noobs can follow :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ozsouth

LuSl53p1 - a trial hybrid puppy (has PAE, for 4+ Gb ram PCs)

#32 Post by ozsouth »

I've had a hybrid puppy (Lucid 529 with Slacko 531 PAE kernel inserted) hosted for me, if anyone who has 4+ Gb ram wants to try. Quite customised - some pets can be installed, & some will fail, so try at own risk. 184mb, includes dosbox, emelfm, skype & flash 11.2. (pw=puppy).

*** NO LONGER HOSTED ***
Last edited by ozsouth on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

hello, ozsouth

Nice job! Boots like a charm.

However, I couldn't find the character set for my country and I couldn't save to CD.

Do you have those utilities somewhere else, perhaps?

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ozsouth

Lusl deficiencies

#34 Post by ozsouth »

Glad you liked it, musher. I've used it for a few months. Unfortunately, my customisations were done before the latest internationalisation, and I had to alter rc.shutdown to get a clean shutdown. That could account for both your problems. I thought keyboards were covered, and 'save to usb' works, but I hadn't ever used 'save to CD', so I assumed it was OK. Sorry, but I'm stumped by those issues - work-arounds are needed from those smarter than I.

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanations.

"Smarter than I..." Judging from your work, that might be difficult to find! Take the compliment when it passes, is what I say! :)

The first problem is not that much of a concern for me since I am fluent in English. Probably your derivative could be localized easily enough with the new system, or up to 80 % simply by putting the proper mo files in /usr/share/locale/[language].

Second problem is not even an annoyance if you don't work from CD/DVD.

That said, I know firsthand that in the latest wary, and from various accounts in slacko, there is a shutdown problem (puppy recycling or hanging). Is that what you corrected? Your derivative can indeed save, just not on a CD or DVD. Maybe post your solution in a separate thread if it can help?

The following comment is not adressed to you, of course, but my fear is that the latest Puppies will become laughing stock in the Linux community if they cannot shutdown properly.

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)