Wow very interesting thread.

Hope something good comes out of it.
Some kernels fail to have drivers for
some hardware. This way maybe one
can go for a kernel that actually works
and still use that in a version that where
made using another kernel.

so keep up this good work and hope for success
and easy descriptions that even us noobs can follow :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ozsouth

LuSl53p1 - a trial hybrid puppy (has PAE, for 4+ Gb ram PCs)

#32 Post by ozsouth »

I've had a hybrid puppy (Lucid 529 with Slacko 531 PAE kernel inserted) hosted for me, if anyone who has 4+ Gb ram wants to try. Quite customised - some pets can be installed, & some will fail, so try at own risk. 184mb, includes dosbox, emelfm, skype & flash 11.2. (pw=puppy).

*** NO LONGER HOSTED ***
Last edited by ozsouth on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

hello, ozsouth

Nice job! Boots like a charm.

However, I couldn't find the character set for my country and I couldn't save to CD.

Do you have those utilities somewhere else, perhaps?

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ozsouth

Lusl deficiencies

#34 Post by ozsouth »

Glad you liked it, musher. I've used it for a few months. Unfortunately, my customisations were done before the latest internationalisation, and I had to alter rc.shutdown to get a clean shutdown. That could account for both your problems. I thought keyboards were covered, and 'save to usb' works, but I hadn't ever used 'save to CD', so I assumed it was OK. Sorry, but I'm stumped by those issues - work-arounds are needed from those smarter than I.

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanations.

"Smarter than I..." Judging from your work, that might be difficult to find! Take the compliment when it passes, is what I say! :)

The first problem is not that much of a concern for me since I am fluent in English. Probably your derivative could be localized easily enough with the new system, or up to 80 % simply by putting the proper mo files in /usr/share/locale/[language].

Second problem is not even an annoyance if you don't work from CD/DVD.

That said, I know firsthand that in the latest wary, and from various accounts in slacko, there is a shutdown problem (puppy recycling or hanging). Is that what you corrected? Your derivative can indeed save, just not on a CD or DVD. Maybe post your solution in a separate thread if it can help?

The following comment is not adressed to you, of course, but my fear is that the latest Puppies will become laughing stock in the Linux community if they cannot shutdown properly.

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

playdayz

#36 Post by playdayz »

I've had a hybrid puppy (Lucid 529 with Slacko 531 kernel inserted)
Three-Headed Dog is Lucid with the Slacko 2.6.37.6 kernel installed.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 539#552539
There is also a *very* experimental build of Lucid with the 3.0.25 kernel from Racy installed. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 551#620551

musher0

#37 Post by musher0 »

playdayz wrote:
I've had a hybrid puppy (Lucid 529 with Slacko 531 kernel inserted)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 539#552539
There is also a *very* experimental build of Lucid with the 3.0.25 kernel from Racy installed. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 551#620551
Hello, playdaz.

Two questions: :twisted:

Do they shut down properly?

Is the save to CD/DVD feature maintained?

I haven't had much luck lately with these traditional Puppy features...

Something about scalded cats... or dogs, for that matter. :wink:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ozsouth

3HD is fantastic, but no PAE, hence hybrid created

#38 Post by ozsouth »

Hi Playdayz,

Unfortunately 3 headed dog, great though it is, doesn't have PAE - so my hybrid has the Slacko 2.6.39.4 PAE kernel inserted, to allow access to > 3Gb ram. I would love 3HD to have a PAE version - would be much better than my hybrid.

celeronM

#39 Post by celeronM »

Well i tried to merge kernel of legacy os 4 in lucid 5.28.005 without sucess.

Code: Select all

#ubuntu is the problem, these symlinks are missing...

if [ ! -e usr/bin/aclocal ];then
 REALFILE="`ls -1 usr/bin/aclocal* | head -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev`"
 ln -s $REALFILE usr/bin/aclocal
fi

if [ ! -e usr/bin/automake ];then
 REALFILE="`ls -1 usr/bin/automake* | head -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev`"
 ln -s $REALFILE usr/bin/automake
fi

#if [ ! -e usr/share/aclocal ];then
# REALDIR="`find usr/share/ -maxdepth 1 -type d -name aclocal* | head -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev`"
# ln -s $REALDIR usr/share/aclocal
#fi

if [ ! -e usr/share/automake ];then
 REALDIR="`find usr/share/ -maxdepth 1 -type d -name automake* | head -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev`"
 ln -s $REALDIR usr/share/automake
fi

I just want a kernel specific for my machine.

ozsouth

@ CeleronM

#40 Post by ozsouth »

Hi CeleronM,

I tinkered with a few combos before I got a goer - still have issues. It seems that the kernels have to be reasonably close - I wound up replacing 2.6.37.6 with 2.6.39.4-PAE, after earlier attempts failed. If your processor is a CeleronM, earlier Wary versions would be the best start (511?).

Dewbie

#41 Post by Dewbie »

I would like to get the additional analog modem drivers from the original-kernel version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha and put them in Classic Pup 2.14x.
(Both are built with kernel 2.6.18.1.)

How can I do this (for frugal installation)?
Do I follow directions on page 1, or are there fewer steps to take because the kernel is the same?
Thanks.

peebee

#42 Post by peebee »

Dewbie wrote:I would like to get the additional analog modem drivers from the original-kernel version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha and put them in Classic Pup 2.14x.
(Both are built with kernel 2.6.18.1.)

How can I do this (for frugal installation)?
Do I follow directions on page 1, or are there fewer steps to take because the kernel is the same?
Thanks.
Hi Dewbie

Following the steps in the rest of the thread is probably the safest option.

However if you are feeling adventurous and you're runnning in an environment where it doesn't matter if you make mistakes then you could try just copying the directories:

/etc
/lib/firmware
/lib/modules

across and seeing what happens....

Good luck
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Dewbie

#43 Post by Dewbie »

Updated 3-29-2013
Thanks, peebee.
That didn't work out too well. :lol:

I also tried those directories from the the main version of Retro-Puppy 218 alpha--k2.6.18.8--with Puppy Linux 431.

To make a bootable iso, you have to rename 431's /etc/DISTRO_SPECS file to 218, then use all the other files from 218.

For the most part, this Woof-based combo works fine.
(BarryK built them only a few months apart.)

However, it won't recognize my Intel 536EP modem, even though the driver is loaded in BootManager.

Exactly why, I'm not sure.
However, some of the 431 versions have issues with this modem:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11&t=20709

Also, Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is (once again) unavailable.

rmcellig

#44 Post by rmcellig »

Here is my situation. I want the kernel from puppy precise 5.7 inserted into puppy lucid 5.2.8. Would this be possible?

Maybe I will play around and see what happens.

ASRI éducation

#45 Post by ASRI éducation »

rmcellig wrote:Here is my situation. I want the kernel from puppy precise 5.7 inserted into puppy lucid 5.2.8. Would this be possible?

Maybe I will play around and see what happens.
I do not know if it's possible, but it should be tested (Lucid 528 still an excellent version).
Cordialement,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

I put the slax 6 kernel on puppy 4.12. Works nicely though those analogue modems can be a problem as puppy has some script jiggling to implement the drivers...ie such a modem is detected (or not...it always wants to load slmodem cos there is an Intel sound card!!!!), that unpacks driver, binary, init script, firmware ...in theory a change of kernel should not affect this but its one to watch out for (new kernel may not include needed driver for example). Or in my case I have a router so quietly ignore any potential issues as I cannot test it :D

Also watch for kernel changes... eg splitting up the usbhid drivers forced a major hack in the initrd. Plus /sys and /proc locations get moved around so may upset scripts.

top tips from top tip land

mike

rmcellig

#47 Post by rmcellig »

Ya Lucid is a fantastic pup. Only problem is that I can't record from the Audio Line-In on my iMac because the kernel doesn't support it. The kernel in Precise 5.7 does so I think I will play around and see if I can get 5.2.8 working with the Precise 5.7 kernel.

rmcellig

Re: How to switch kernels between Puppy versions

#48 Post by rmcellig »

jrb wrote:

Open Edit-SFS from the Utility menu.

1. Extract lupu-511.sfs from lupu-511.iso. Click on the .iso and when it opens in rox drag lupu-511.sfs to the edit-sfs window.

2. When the edit window opens up delete /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/ and /lib/firmware/.

3. Click on wary-060.iso. Click on wary-060.sfs to mount it. Drag /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/ and /lib/firmware/ from wary-060.sfs into the edit window and copy them in. (Make sure they end up in the right place!) :wink:

Build the new lupu-511.sfs.

In my case, I am trying to upgrade the kernel in puppy 528 with the one in precise 5.7.1.

I am stuck on step 3. I have the precise iso on my desktop, I click on it to open but when I click on the puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs file, it doesn't mount. I get a failed mounting or unmounting error. What am I doing wrong?

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

I am stuck on step 3. I have the precise iso on my desktop, I click on it to open but when I click on the puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs file, it doesn't mount. I get a failed mounting or unmounting error. What am I doing wrong?
change in squashfs version/format at a guess...its not generally backward compatible.

My technique is usually to build a tree of the files then make an sfs of it in the target version... that way it can be tested and tweaked assuming you get puppy to load it at boot. (set in boot manager then point to new kernel/initrd in boot menu at a guess)

mike

Karl Godt

#50 Post by Karl Godt »

It may be not the squashfs version, but the type of squashfs compression ( gz or xz ) .

The kernel should support squashfs xz compressed since version 2.6.38 .

Lupu default kernel is version 2.6.33.2 and THD I think 2.6.37.6 -- both would not support xz-squash .