How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

[Update] There is a new Samba client package attached to Part A above that contains an updated samba-login tool. This version lets you more easily change the default login settings and keep them from one session to the next.

Note that the files are no longer in /root/my-applications/bin.

The samba-adduser script in samba-tng-rcrsn-admin-1.0 has moved to a new location.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are snapshots of the two samba-tng-rcrsn client tools:

samba-login

samba-shares

moB

Great job!

#18 Post by moB »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here are snapshots of the two samba-tng-rcrsn client tools:

samba-login

samba-shares
rcrsn51

can you advise on making Samba-TNG work for FatDog64?

I was looking at compiling the full version from source (samba-3.5.6), but the setup and config is daunting.

Looking at the posts here makes me think that this is just the ticket for home networks!

As you've done all this amazing work I'd love to use it.

moB

"Think not, is my eleventh commandment;
and sleep when you can, is my twelfth. "
{Stubb, to himself}
- Herman Melville, The Whale (Moby-Dick)

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

I built it using the absolute defaults:

Code: Select all

./configure
make
new2dir make install
This puts everything into /usr/local/samba.

You could then take the samba-start and samba-stop scripts out of the 32 bit version and use them to run the server.

BTW, I downloaded fatdog and the devx file. But I couldn't get the devx to load at bootup. What am I missing?

moB

devx for FD

#20 Post by moB »

rcrsn51 wrote: BTW, I downloaded fatdog and the devx file. But I couldn't get the devx to load at bootup. What am I missing?
I had a similar event. Perhaps you put the devx in the fd64 psubdir as we did here?

When a symlink to the file was placed on the root (ie "C") drive the bootmanager was able to load devx. (I like to keep the puppy stuff out of ms-Win's stuff in one easy to find place.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips on using your samba tools. I will look into it and try to get my tiny brain around it :lol:

moB

"Elves and Dragons!" I says to him.
"Cabbages and potatoes are better for
you and me."

-- J. R. R. Tolkien

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have the devx file in the right place and the boot manager detects it. It just won't load at bootup.

In any case, if you can get samba-tng compiled, we should be able to pull the necessary files out of the 32 bit version to get it working as described in the how-to.

kirk

#22 Post by kirk »

Rcrsn,

To use the devx file in Fatdog, the devx file has to be in the root of the partition (/mnt/home) and then you have to select the file with the Boot manager, it will not automatically be loaded. I tried to get Samba-tng working as a simple file server a few months ago, but didn't have much luck. I could get Samba 3.x going without too much problems, but it's huge. I have to admit that I don't know squat about Samba, so I may had something screwed up in the conf file. That code looks pretty old too, so I wasn't sure. if one of you guys have success with Samba-tng as a server in Fatdog64, I'd like to know. I'm working on Fatdog64-510 right now and it's about ready.

emil

Does it work with Vista and Win 7?

#23 Post by emil »

Hello rcrsn51,
many thanks for your always excellent tutorials and solutions. Regarding samba I do have the following question. Does it work with Win 7 and Vista?

because at the Samba-TNG homepage there it states (regarding release canditat 0.5):
Known issues:

Joining Vista works only by using the Wizard. The dialog way does not work. We worked with helpful people from the MS interop team to analyze the problem. We know the solution, but it requires heavy changes and we decided to adress them after 0.5.
Joining Windows 7 does not work at all. The solution for the previously mentioned issue will partly fix this.
kind regards
emil

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Samba-TNG has been tested successfully with Vista and Seven. You may have to edit the smb.conf file in /usr/local/samba/etc and change the workgroup value to match your Windows client machines. The usual name is "workgroup". Otherwise, Windows may not detect the share.

As always, you must restart the Samba server after making this configuration change.

I have also read the comment in the Samba-TNG release notes. I don't know what it means either.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

@kirk:

I have now tried fd64-510 with the fd64-32bit-libs-3.sfs compatibility package. Under this combination, the original samba-tng-rcrsn 32-bit version works fine.

marco07

#26 Post by marco07 »

@ rcrsn51:
I have followed your instructions in post #1 to set up file sharing for my Lupu 5.2 frugal installation.
From puppy box I can use pnethood and connect to the other boxes in my home networking set up (windows as well as linux boxes). However, from these boxes, although I can see and ping the puppy server, when I click on the server's name (Esi puppy Samba-TNG Server) I get the following message:

The process for the smb://esi protocol died unexpectedly

ESI is the netbios name of the puppy server. I have already edited the smb.conf file and replaced the pupserver with ESI and workgroup name with MShome (my network name) but have no success in connecting from any other box to the Lupu server.
Any advise is much appreciated.
TIA

rcrsn51

#27 Post by rcrsn51 »

marco07 wrote:The process for the smb://esi protocol died unexpectedly
Where are you getting this message - from Windows or from another Linux?
when I click on the server's name (Esi puppy Samba-TNG Server) I get the following message:
Please be more specific.

Can another Puppy client see the server using Pnethood?

The reference to smb:// suggests that you are trying to connect using the smbfs protocol. You should be using cifs.

marco07

#28 Post by marco07 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Where are you getting this message - from Windows or from another Linux?
Iget this message from a linux (Mepis) box.
Can another Puppy client see the server using Pnethood?
I do not have any other Puppy to use it as a client. Only Lupu which I am trying to access it as a server.
The reference to smb:// suggests that you are trying to connect using the smbfs protocol. You should be using cifs.
How could I use the cifs. smb:// is in dolphine file manager of the Mepis linux.
Thank you!

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

What do you get from a Windows box?

You can boot another computer using your Puppy Live CD and run Pnethood.

I am not familiar with Mepis so I don't know how it is mounting the share. It may be assuming that you have already made an fstab entry for the Puppy server.

marco07

#30 Post by marco07 »

rcrsn51 wrote:What do you get from a Windows box?

You can boot another computer using your Puppy Live CD and run Pnethood.

I am not familiar with Mepis so I don't know how it is mounting the share. It may be assuming that you have already made an fstab entry for the Puppy server.
Box with Windows 98 - Connects perfect and has access to all shares
Box with Windows XP = Ditto
Box (partition) with Ubuntu 10.4 with Gnome - Ditto
Laptop with Lupu 5.2 Live CD - Ditto
Box (partition) with PCLXOS with KDE 4.5 - Does not connects. Give Time out with the server Esi
Box with Mepis 8.5 with KDE 4.4 - Same as my original post.
It seems problem lies with the linux boxes with KDE WM.

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

KDE 4.x is capable of authenticating aganist Samba shares. You just have to either pre-provide credentials ( set them in System Settings > Sharing ) or provide them in the URL ( smb://user@server/share )
Is this useful?

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

As a test, I downloaded Mepis 8.5.03.

I started the Samba-TNG server on a Quirky machine with the default smb.conf.

I booted another machine off the Mepis CD. I started Dolphin and browsed to pupserver and pupshare. It asked for authentication and accepted root:woofwoof. The share was visible. Everything worked correctly.

I couldn't duplicate your error.

marco07

#33 Post by marco07 »

rcrsn51 wrote:As a test, I downloaded Mepis 8.5.03.

I started the Samba-TNG server on a Quirky machine with the default smb.conf.

I booted another machine off the Mepis CD. I started Dolphin and browsed to pupserver and pupshare. It asked for authentication and accepted root:woofwoof. The share was visible. Everything worked correctly.

I couldn't duplicate your error.
Thanks!
I have edited mepis's smb.cfg in order to access all the boxes and various partitions on them in my LAN and has had no probelm sharing files, except with Lupu 5.2 as we have been discussing above. My editing of original mepis's smb.conf has been changing the Security form user to share and adding force user = marco under each of shared folders listed in smb.conf. Therefore, as is, when i connect to shared items in other boxes using mepis, there is no authentication required.It connects right away. I wonder, if this could be the cause of problem with Lupu. I keep on workin on this and see how I can resolve this. Will report back when I have some result. In the mean time I appreciate any other ideas you may have on my editing of mepis's smb.conf.
Thanks again!

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Samba-TNG tutorial explains how to set up no-login access. Maybe your Mepis would be happier with that configuration.

Remember to restart the Samba server after changing the smb.conf.

Or maybe you need to create a "marco" user on the Samba-TNG server.

marco07

#35 Post by marco07 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Or maybe you need to create a "marco" user on the Samba-TNG server.
This did it. I have now access to ESI server and all its shared folders.
Thanks for your patience with me. Your guidance is well appreciated.