How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
8-bit

#76 Post by 8-bit »

It is just Stupid me returning your query.
I went with the wrong approach and seeing two -tng files and assuming wrongly that the one with a six in it was the latest version, I did not have five downloaded.
It did work.
I could see the specified directory on a WinXP networked PC.
I guess I can blame it on all the pain pills I am taking for my progressively worse degenerative authritus.

p310don

#77 Post by p310don »

Hi,

I have been using Samba-TNG for a while now just typing samba-start in terminal when I want to share stuff, but have only recently installed the autostart pet.

Strangely, samba seems to start, and if I search the network, I can see this machine, but there are no shares. I can only see them after a restart, ie samba-stop then samba-start.

Not a biggy, but any solutions would be appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by p310don on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

On what device are the shares? An internal hard drive? A USB drive?

It sounds like the target partition has not been mounted yet when Samba auto-starts.

p310don

#79 Post by p310don »

The shares are a bunch of internal hard drives that automount with start mount.

Included in the shares is the drive with Puppy's save file and puppy on it, which is of course mounted upon boot, but it doesn't share either.

Can the autostart be set to include a time delay after finding a live network, say ten seconds? How would I do that if I could to test if that's it?

rcrsn51

#80 Post by rcrsn51 »

p310don wrote:The shares are a bunch of internal hard drives that automount with start mount.

Included in the shares is the drive with Puppy's save file and puppy on it, which is of course mounted upon boot, but it doesn't share either.

Can the autostart be set to include a time delay after finding a live network, say ten seconds? How would I do that if I could to test if that's it?
Samba auto-start puts a script in your /root/Startup folder. You could add a sleep command at the top of the script.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
while [ 1 ]; do

p310don

#81 Post by p310don »

ok thanks, will try that tomorrow. Its 2am here. probably should get to bed instead of feeding my puppy addiction.... ;)

p310don

#82 Post by p310don »

That fixed it!!

Thanks rcrsn51 for your super quick help!

I have no idea how you, and so many of the guys on here manage to just know the answers to problems like you do, but its awesome, and a credit to the Puppy community.

01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

I get an error trying to print from win7 to my slacko printer, MP490

I set it up as \\pupserver\Canon_MP490_series (local port) with the only driver I could see close to HP Color Lasejet PS, which is HP Color Laserjet 2800 series PS

Interestingly it prints (to the printer) the error!

To wit;
ERROR: configurationerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

STACK:

-dictionary-
Before the error it feeds through a blank page.

XP prints fine. However it allowed me to install the MP490 driver off the CD.

Having trouble with puppy and apple but I should be able to figure out those.

EDIT Ha! I jumped the gun! I tried again with the Canon driver and this time it worked. Still... would be interesting to find out if the HP post script driver can be used since there seems to be no problem seeing the Printer.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#84 Post by 01micko »

Ok, got puppy and apple printing to my pupserver :) in Slacko using CUPS-1.4.6 and mac-OSX-snowleopard using CUPS-1.4.7. Note I'm using Slacko as my pupserver too, shouldn't make a difference.

The rundown:

Open browser at localhost:631

Choose Windows Printer using smbclient

For Puppy the URI is :

smbc://pupserver/[printername_goes_here] (eg, mine is Canon_MP490_series)

For mac the URI is :

smb://pupserver/[printername_goes_here] (eg, mine is Canon_MP490_series) [note "smb" not "smbc"]

For Puppy:
Then you choose from the list Raw, then Raw Queue.

Then we slightly fork from rcrsn51's great instructions. The next window is titled "Banners". For the Starting Banner and Ending Banner choose standard from the pulldown lists. This is where I was going wrong I think.

This sets the default options, print your test page and you are away.

For Mac OS-X:
Then you choose the Generic drivers and at the bottom you find Generic PostScript. That's the one

Next page allows choice of paper size and then you are done. Print a test page from the Maintenance pulldown. You may have to configure applications to use the printer.

FOOTNOTE: in mac-osx your username and passworrd for CUPS is your name you entered when you first setup your mac all lowercase and no spaces, no underscores either. Password is the one you set up at that same time.

HTH
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 06:04, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

In retrospect, it may be easier to let CUPS handle your shared printing instead of Samba. But I have never tested it with Win7 or OS-X.

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:In retrospect, it may be easier to let CUPS handle your shared printing instead of Samba. But I have never tested it with Win7 or OS-X.
Yes and no. If you have tng installed then why not take advantage of it? One less daemon running :wink: I guess one less open port too.

rcrsn51

#87 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Yes and no. If you have tng installed then why not take advantage of it? One less daemon running :wink:
The CUPS daemon is running anyway. And it eliminates any problems with logging into the server because CUPS doesn't need it.

Either way, you have to fight through the problem of who will format the print job - the client or the server. It the server is going to format the job using its own CUPS driver, then the client will usually send the job as Postscript. However, if a Windows client uses its own driver, CUPS can sometimes detect this and send the job directly to the printer. (This may depend on how the CUPS package was built.)

Since OS-X is using its own version of CUPS, I would assume that it uses the same rules as a Puppy client.

01micko

#88 Post by 01micko »

I did some more experiments with CUPS in mac OS-X.

It seems CUPS is somewhat crippled in OS-X. Macs have a dumb gui to set up printers. They only offer a gui to set up detected local printers, "windows" shares (ie smb) and another to set up ipp, hp socket or lpd, that's it.

Of course none of this works with using CUPS as the server or samba-tng (and I suspect full samba).

As I reported a few posts ago, I was able to set up printing using smb://server/printer and print a test page. Ok.. but that is useless when you need to do some real world printing. I tried to print some of wifey's recipes (yes actual food recipes) that she had downloaded and saved as .odt documents with openoffice and no go. Nothing (but errors of course). So then I tried from various other apps, same result. <scratches head/>

Then I deleted the printer in the CUPS web interface and tried the HP Color Laserjet 2800 (presumably formatting as postscript) and I I could print, but it was garbage, just the title of the page and a CUPS logo, no matter what app.

I then discovered the generic category in the drivers list. At the bottom is the Generic PostScript driver. Bingo! Tried that and succeeded. The mac even recognised it in it's dumb wizard. I successfully printed a couple of said recipes and a web page from firefox. That's good enough for me.

I'll edit my above post for the mac.

Oh, and I think samba, be it full or tng, is the only easy way to print to puppy, perhaps most linux, from mac OS-X, without diving in and editing the CUPS config files at a minimum.

rcrsn51

#89 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for doing this testing.
01micko wrote:It seems CUPS is somewhat crippled in OS-X. Macs have a dumb gui to set up printers. They only offer a gui to set up detected local printers, "windows" shares (ie smb) and another to set up ipp, hp socket or lpd, that's it.
IPP is the protocol used by CUPS to share its printers. It would be interesting to know if a CUPS shared printer would be auto-detected by OS-X like it is by a Puppy client.

Supposedly, you could do a manual install in OS-X using

ipp://aaa.bbb.cc.dd:631/printers/printer_name

ginco

#90 Post by ginco »

Only issue I got was because Firewall not disabled: I would put the word Firewall on bold in page 1 for future users. It's becoming a need as new Netbooks with Win7 Starter don't allow for IPP printing.
Did anybody try sharing a scanner as well (I already had it shared in Ubuntu)? Rcrsn51, I saw your comments about a Brother scanner, but I already have two, and would like to avoid buying a 3rd one...

disciple

Sharing a scanner on the network

#91 Post by disciple »

Are you talking about sharing a scanner with computers running Linux or Windows, or something else?

I'm not sure whether Puppy includes everything you need, but check out:
http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US ... er_Support
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

ginco wrote:Did anybody try sharing a scanner as well (I already had it shared in Ubuntu)? I saw your comments about a Brother scanner, but I already have two, and would like to avoid buying a 3rd one...
Since you never stated which scanner models you own, your question is hard to answer.

There is a mechanism in SANE for sharing a USB-attached scanner across a network. Read here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 23 Dec 2012, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

polykarp

codepage 852 or cp1250

#93 Post by polykarp »

hello, i just instaled Samba-TNG on my pyppy Slacko 5.3 and i have problem with foreign chracters in file names, they dont display correctly. I am from slovakia and i have set the LOCALE to sk_SK in Country Seting menu from Puppy setup. I also tried to set the codepage in smb.conf but this has no efect, the filenames are displayed incorrect. I also searched the codepage in my folders and only found a codepage 850 for samba in : /usr/local/samba/share/codepages/codepage.850. Can you pleas upload codepage files for my locale, or a new pet with Samba-TNG for countires like Slovakia, Czech, Hungary, Poland and others that use this encoding.

Thanks for help.

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

I know nothing about international language support. But I compiled samba-TNG again and pulled out all the codepage 852 stuff. It is in the PET below.

From the documentation, it looks like you would add the following to your smb.conf

[global]
client code page = 852
character set = ISO8859-2
Please report back.

[Edit] No reply. Attachment deleted. If anyone else wants to test this, please post a request.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

polykarp

codepage 852 or cp1250

#95 Post by polykarp »

so i downoaded the PET, instaled it and have made the chenges in smb.conf.
restarted samba server and it is still the same. is there a log file for the Samba-TNG in puppy?