Official Crustacean

Puppy+

#1 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

Feb 9

So, what's with "puppy+"? Nothing much. I want to differentiate my own Puppy creations from the official Puppy release. For now, whatever I release is the official Puppy, but in the future there may be a community-managed official, or reference Puppy, and my own development version will be separate but will feed into the official release. Rather like the relationship between Sylpheed and Sylpheed-Claws perhaps.
This sounds like a good infrastructure concept for the long term -- but I am confused about what it means on a practical level in the short run.

(Just recently, some of the main Puppy websites were down for a while, which freaks me out. My highest infrastructure priority is that the most important vulnerable major assets that we are building together -- the Forum and the Wiki -- be able to survive anything that COULD happen -- total server/host wipeout, owner heart attack, etc.)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

kethd wrote: This sounds like a good infrastructure concept for the long term -- but I am confused about what it means on a practical level in the short run.
Confusion is my natural state . . .
Barry wants to be a Puppy Developer and not carry everything - which is quite a responsibility. So he is moving towards less responsibility, enabling him to travel (one plan) and still develop via laptop . . .

So Puppy is becoming a community led distro with Barry as our main developer. We are also attracting some new developer blood. Woof woof. Barry also remains benevolent dictator for life - top dog.
kethd wrote: (Just recently, some of the main Puppy websites were down for a while, which freaks me out. My highest infrastructure priority is that the most important vulnerable major assets that we are building together -- the Forum and the Wiki -- be able to survive anything that COULD happen -- total server/host wipeout, owner heart attack, etc.)
m m m I may try and mirror the Puppy wiki - so we have an on line back up. The thing is I am also using Servage (like Barry). Interestingly they mirror their sites in several secure locations so it might still be a possibility. I am just wary of me (I am not yet into my first week of using a remote server).

tmxxine.com

It might also be possible for me to mirror the forum. Not sure how to go about that . . . Give me a couple of months and I may figure it out.

Let me see about mirroring the wiki - will get back on that one.
I will need some sort of auto script - will check out the wikka site :)
Foundation cyber meeting tomorrow - be there. :)

The motto of Linux is "take loads, put a little back" or is that open source?
I think the Mycrysoft motto is "take loads - and then some"
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

kethd wrote:
Feb 9

So, what's with "puppy+"? Nothing much. I want to differentiate my own Puppy creations from the official Puppy release. For now, whatever I release is the official Puppy, but in the future there may be a community-managed official, or reference Puppy, and my own development version will be separate but will feed into the official release. Rather like the relationship between Sylpheed and Sylpheed-Claws perhaps.
This sounds like a good infrastructure concept for the long term -- but I am confused about what it means on a practical level in the short run.
It doesn't mean anything in the short term!
I was just trying to plan ahead.

flavour

#5 Post by flavour »

I like this thinking ahead...if the community can mobilise to support this, then this seems ideal to me :)
A core puppy which has a different release process - public repository, roadmap, bug tracker, etc
Barry working on the cool stuff that keeps Puppy ahead of the competition ;)

F