Network ICON on your desktop tray

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Network ICON on your desktop tray

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Original Post from 5.1.1 forum wrote:Right clicking the "networking" icon on the desktop tray (bottom of screen) brings up list. Selecting "Network Status Information" from that list will run a utility which allows us to see 5 tabs of information about the PCs network status.

Does anyone know which command will show/print/file the data on the Statistics" tab???

Thanks in advance.....to anyone that does.
Have since, been guided to the running "ipinfo" in a terminal window to gather this same data. ... Thanks for the guidance.

gcmartin

Look at this. Look at yours. Do you see the same thing I see

#2 Post by gcmartin »

I see this in my statistics section:
Network Statistics Tab

Code: Select all

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        1      1 192.168.1.204:46053   174.143.209.250:80      LAST_ACK    
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.204:47589   208.109.22.214:80       TIME_WAIT
  • What do you make of the IP address, 174.143.209.250, shown?
  • What applications in my Puppy (192.168.1.204) are this ports?
I have it on ALL Puppy PCs, I start.

Just trying to explain what this means. Thanks.

gcmartin

What it shows on the Statistics Tab

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Every time I start my system from scratch and tell Puppy to Connect ETH0 DHCP, Puppy ALWAYS starts a internet session to this IP address ===> 174.143.209.250:80

I have checked with other users of Puppy in my area. This is happening with EVERY location where Puppy is being run in this area.
Anyone know why this is happening? Anyone know how I can find which Puppy application is connecting to that internet location?

Mobeus

#4 Post by Mobeus »

Anyone know how I can find which Puppy application is connecting to that internet location?
Yes, it's ipinfo itself. At line 21 of the script it calls var0="`wget -O - -q icanhazip.com`" and icanhazip.com is the ip you are questioning. If you add a new line - sleep 1 - right after the wget call you won't see that ip in the Statistics tab anymore.

Regards,
Mobeus