PupServer-435

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

PupServer-435

#1 Post by jrb »

Pupserver435 (80 MB iso file) is a dedicated samba file and print server designed to be as easy as possible to use, no configuration required.

pupserver-435.iso-md5.txt

It is an extremely barebones Puppy431 with the full samba-3.0.26 package, cups-1.1.23, and Links-2.1pre30 graphical browser. The ISO is 80MB (I used puppy431 because the newer samba packages are so much larger).

I have also included SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.8 so that SFS files can be mounted and used. Pets can also be installed.

At boot it mounts all present harddrive and usb drive partitions and creates a link to each in / which can be used to access them from a network client. You can mount a usb drive after boot and it will create a link in / as well.

The server computer is shared on the network as PUPSERVER with a share of "usr=root passwd=woofwoof". As it turns out you don't need to use the username or password, it shares without them.

Printers must be installed in cups using the Links browser (or a mozilla browser) and then accessed by other Puppy, Linux, and Windows computers. I have included a link in the My_links folder on the desktop to /usr/share/cups/model/ named Place_PPD_here. Open this link, copy in your printers ppd file, click 0_install_new_PPD and when you start cups (menu-system-Cups manage printing) and add new printer the new printer should be on the drop down list. If your printer will run in other Puppies it should run here.

I am running Pupserver from live CD on a 350hz pentiumII (which I bought in 1998), passively cooled (no fans), with a 200GB harddrive . Interetingly this machine will not boot from a 200GB harddrive but will happily share it if booted in some other way. I have accessed the printer and the harddrive from Puppy431, Lupu, Quirky, Wary, WindowsXP, and Windows7. No problems so far.

When I access it from a client I see the / filesystem and a link called server_sda1. Clicking on this link gives me access to the server harddrive.

When I open cups and go to printers on another Puppy computer I see:

Code: Select all

Description:
Printer Driver: Brother HL-1430 Foomatic/hl1250 (recommended) on 192.168.1.101
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, not published.
Device URI: ipp://192.168.1.101:631/printers/bro
I have set this as my default.

Accessing this printer on windows computers is another story involving a bit of googling.

Thanks to russoodle for providing hosting at http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net.

Enjoy, J

Note: I must point out this is totally insecure! Anyone on your network will be able to access it, no password required. If you want that you will have to reconfigure /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.
Attachments
Pupserver_desktop_new480.png
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 10285 times
Last edited by jrb on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is something to consider for your print server component. Remove CUPS and replace it with the p910nd print server. Then the client machines (both Linux and Windows) would supply the printer driver and connect to the server with the socket: protocol.

chrome307

#3 Post by chrome307 »

Thanks for this, hope it works for me, just need it for simple filesharing.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

This is so great. I had puppy running well as a file server, but then decided to mess with it, and get nothing but kernel panic upon booting. Been "trying" for a few weeks now to get it back up and running. This works a treat, and I didn't have to put ANY effort in. Now that's how "just works" should work! Great job.

Would be cool to offer the instant sharing functionality of this puplet in a full puppy. Will have to play with rebuilding it from the barebones that it is. Hmmm, there goes my weekend :D

jrb

#5 Post by jrb »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is something to consider for your print server component. Remove CUPS and replace it with the p910nd print server.
Looks interesting. Not much time right now but I don't think I'll be able to resist giving it a try. :D Thanks for the link.

jrb

#6 Post by jrb »

p310don wrote:Would be cool to offer the instant sharing functionality of this puplet in a full puppy. Will have to play with rebuilding it from the barebones that it is. Hmmm, there goes my weekend :D
Feel free to build it up, but if you want I could upload the samba-3.4.2.sfs that I've been using with Quirky and Wary. It doesn't have the automount partition feature but shares out the main filesystem as soon as its installed with SFS-TCZ_Linker.

robdob99

Is There a .pet for That????

#7 Post by robdob99 »

Is this 'samba server' available as a .pet so I can add it to my existing Puppy setup?

rcrsn51

Re: Is There a .pet for That????

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

robdob99 wrote:Is this 'samba server' available as a .pet so I can add it to my existing Puppy setup?
See the recent discussion here.

jrb

Re: Is There a .pet for That????

#9 Post by jrb »

robdob99 wrote:Is this 'samba server' available as a .pet so I can add it to my existing Puppy setup?
I just uploaded Samba PuppyServer 3.4.2 for Quirky and Wary.

Hold Everything! I just tried rcrsn51's samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet in Quirky130 and it shares as well as my .pet but is 1/30th the size. :oops:

Nice work rcrsn51.
Last edited by jrb on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

chrome307

#10 Post by chrome307 »

@jrb

Thanks for the software, unfortunately for me I could not get it to be recognised by my Xbox console running XBMC.

On the Xbox I do have the following options that allow me to connect to other devices, but I couldn't get it to communicate with Pupserver:

Windows Network ( SMB )
RSS Feed
UPnP Server
iTunes Music Share ( DAAP )
FTP Server
WebDAV Server ( HTTP & HTTPS )
Web Server Directory ( HTTP & HTTPS )
XBMSP Server
Tuxbox Client

I'm sure it's more than likely something I am doing ( rechecked the firewall settings allowing FTP etc access ) and not your OS.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jrb: I took your barebones431-jrb1.0 base and added my samba-tng package along with a text editor. This makes a nice samba server.

It also contains the p910nd print server so you don't need CUPS or a web browser.

jamalexa

#12 Post by jamalexa »

I've added PupServer to my home network. How do I transfer my files from the other computers in my network to the server's hd? Copy and paste doesn't seem to work. I have no windows computers in my network.

Roy

#13 Post by Roy »

I am not currently using a network that requires file/print sharing, but I absolutely LOVE this idea of a Puppy plug-and-play server! It's one of those CDs I would like to keep in my tool kit for the inevitable opportunity that will eventually arise....

rcrsn51 said:
I took your barebones431-jrb1.0 base and added my samba-tng package along with a text editor. This makes a nice samba server. It also contains the p910nd print server
Not exactly plug-and-play (I've read through your instructions posted elsewhere), but I also like the idea of using individual printer drivers without CUPS. Perhaps including a text file of the detailed samba-tng set-up instructions somewhere in the .iso would suffice for new Puppy users?

Is there a way to combine these two great ideas (both plug-and-play and the p910d print server) into a single Puppy? Would this work with Gray's latest NOP (think he uses XFCE instead of JWM)?

jrb and rcrsn51, you are both giants in my mind (and you have both given me a lot of helpful assistance). Thank you for your work!

Standing on the shoulders of giants,
-Roy

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

The P910nd print server is part of the samba-tng-rcrsn PET. Read here for some instructions.

However, if you are using a Puppy machine both as a regular workstation and as a Samba server, you might as well stick with the CUPS setup you already have.

jrb

#15 Post by jrb »

jamalexa wrote:I've added PupServer to my home network. How do I transfer my files from the other computers in my network to the server's hd? Copy and paste doesn't seem to work. I have no windows computers in my network.
Open Pnethood or LameSMBxplorer for the Network menu.

In Pnethood you will see PUPSERVER on one of the tabs. Click on it, click on connect, click on show(doesn't need the password).

In LameSMBxplorer you should see PUPSERVER with its ip number. Click on it. You will see usr=root passwd=woofwoof. Doubleclick on it, click on connect, click on explore.

You should now see a ROX window of the servers main filesystem, archive, bin, dev, etc. Also there should be a link to server_sda1 or server_home or maybe others. Click on the drive you wish to copy to. Click on any folder you would like to open to copy into.

Open the ROX window for the files or folders you wish to copy. Drag them into the ROX window of your destination folder and choose copy. The copy progress window will open and then close once the copy is done.

That's it. The files are now on your server.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jrb: Can you confirm that samba-tng will work with Vista and/or Win7 clients?

jrb

#17 Post by jrb »

rcrsn51 wrote:@jrb: Can you confirm that samba-tng will work with Vista and Win7 clients?
I installed your package on my Quirky130 machine. Initially my wifes win7 didn't detect it although other puppy machines did, so I changed the workgroup name to Workgroup in smb.conf. After a reboot win7 picked it up and is giving me full access.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

jrb wrote:After a reboot win7 picked it up and is giving me full access.
Thanks. I have been doing some more testing with the P910nd print server. I connected two printers to my barebones431+samba-tng fileserver - a USB inkjet and a parallel port laser. I can print seamlessly to either from both Linux and Windows clients.

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks jrb; This goes along with my thought of having "special purpose" puppies.

1) Server ( done )
2) Media player ( jukebox, movie machine )
3) Browser ( keosk, library, internet cafe, etc. )

I`m sure there`s others...

JackWagon

#20 Post by JackWagon »

sunburnt wrote:Thanks jrb; This goes along with my thought of having "special purpose" puppies.

1) Server ( done )
2) Media player ( jukebox, movie machine )
3) Browser ( keosk, library, internet cafe, etc. )
This is awesome. I have been looking for a low power puppy file server.

To go along with "special purpose" pup theme, is the ability to easily (noob fashion) run these as servers and an option to run "headless", with access by means of synergy, VNC. Currently, I use Remmina. It can save configurations for your multiple servers.

Reading through this thread and a couple others that are similar...I get a bit confused.

It would be nice to summarize these threads with a brief explanation on these two configurations:
low ram dedicated servers - Pupserv
workstation - Wary and Quirky w/samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet

Possibly an edit to the beginning of this thread would suffice.

Thanks,