Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 16:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
PupServer-435
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Author Message
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1040
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 18:04    Post_subject: Re: connections limit?  

tubeguy wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of connections that can be made to PupServer? I'm thinking about using it at work as a simple file server (no printing) and we have 10 users.
Thanks
I just tried it on my lunch hour, 1 pupserver, 10 clients, no problem. Very Happy Mind you I didn't have them all transfering files at one time, so who knows?

Good Luck, J
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
tubeguy


Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 1332
Location: Park Ridge IL USA

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 19:05    Post_subject: Re: connections limit?  

jrb wrote:
tubeguy wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of connections that can be made to PupServer? I'm thinking about using it at work as a simple file server (no printing) and we have 10 users.
Thanks
I just tried it on my lunch hour, 1 pupserver, 10 clients, no problem. Very Happy Mind you I didn't have them all transfering files at one time, so who knows?

Good Luck, J

Awesome, thanks. Just ran our app on my home Windows XP box and it's happy as a clam pulling the database from PupServer. Now just have to build a box with a fast hard drive and see what it will do over the work network.

_________________
MSI 970A-G46/AMD FX-8150/Plextor 128GB SSD/Corsair Vengeance 8GB: Tahr Pup 6
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 20:05    Post_subject: Re: connections limit?  

tubeguy wrote:
Awesome, thanks. Just ran our app on my home Windows XP box and it's happy as a clam pulling the database from PupServer.

Is this a situation where multiple users will be doing simultaneous read/writes to the same database?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
tubeguy


Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 1332
Location: Park Ridge IL USA

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 23:52    Post_subject: Re: connections limit?  

rcrsn51 wrote:
tubeguy wrote:
Awesome, thanks. Just ran our app on my home Windows XP box and it's happy as a clam pulling the database from PupServer.

Is this a situation where multiple users will be doing simultaneous read/writes to the same database?

Yes but only 3 to 5 users at one time.

_________________
MSI 970A-G46/AMD FX-8150/Plextor 128GB SSD/Corsair Vengeance 8GB: Tahr Pup 6
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
pemasu


Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 5465
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2011, 09:45    Post_subject:  

Having problems when I try to umount /mnt/network/PUPSERVER/usr=root passwd=woofwoof
Also /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown hangs 5 minutes when shuttind down or rebooting the client computer. And I havent figured out how to umount share name which has space in it`s name.
How would you umount that cifs share in commandline and how would you do that using rox-filer, cause the rox right click Umount script also fails.

Oh yeah. First time testing Pupserver and it works as cifs share server great in our living room computer box, which works as digital tv and digital tv recording machine. I can browse the records and watch them when I boot the comp from live cd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
pemasu


Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 5465
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:25    Post_subject:  

Solution to the above problem:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=601683#601683
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 15:59    Post_subject:  

I'm having a bit of trouble installing pupserver on an old machine..

I installed (full) , which went fine until the part where you install grub, where's the grub (grub config) installer??

LOL should I have installed frugal? , what's the benefit to that?

would installing frugal allow the use/installation of grub4dos?

I never bothered to use grub4dos , doesn't it require a fat32 partition (possibly dumb question there)
Laughing

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 01:25    Post_subject:  

ok nevermind on the previous , how are ya supossed to access pupserver over lan? over internet???

i'm confused...

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1040
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 09:44    Post_subject:  

jason.b.c wrote:
ok nevermind on the previous , how are ya supossed to access pupserver over lan? over internet???

i'm confused...

Hi Jason,
Pupserver is a lan server only. I didn't build in any webserver capacity.

To access it on your network just boot up Pupserver and then on your other Puppy machines use Pnethood. On Windows machines it will show up in My Computer automatically.

You should see Pupserver listed in Pnethood with a share named "user=root password=woofwoof". Enter "root" and "woofwoof" in the appropriate slots and click "Show" and you should be looking at the / directory of Pupserver with links to all your drives.

I built in automatic ethernet connection through eth0 and so far it has worked on every machine I've tried but you might have to connect manually with the connection wizard in some cases.

I also included SSH (on the internet menu) but I'm hardly an expert with that. See:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SshWithPuppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13357
for instructions.

Hope that is helpful. Good Luck, J
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 05:49    Post_subject:  

what about a debian or ubuntu system???


i've tried on both...

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 12:45    Post_subject:  

jason.b.c wrote:
what about a debian or ubuntu system?? i've tried on both...

I was curious to see how an Ubuntu client would detect a Puppy Samba server, so I installed Ubuntu 10.10.

1. On the top menu bar, there is a Places option.
2. Under that, I selected Network.
3. Ubuntu did not immediately detect the Puppy server, so I chose File > Connect to Server.
4. Under Service Type, I chose Windows Share
5. I entered the Puppy server name, the share name and the login info.
6. Ubuntu opened the share successfully.
7. Eventually, Ubuntu auto-detected the Puppy server by its workgroup name and showed it under Network.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 19:54    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
what about a debian or ubuntu system?? i've tried on both...

I was curious to see how an Ubuntu client would detect a Puppy Samba server, so I installed Ubuntu 10.10.

1. On the top menu bar, there is a Places option.
2. Under that, I selected Network.
3. Ubuntu did not immediately detect the Puppy server, so I chose File > Connect to Server.
4. Under Service Type, I chose Windows Share
5. I entered the Puppy server name, the share name and the login info.
6. Ubuntu opened the share successfully.
7. Eventually, Ubuntu auto-detected the Puppy server by its workgroup name and showed it under Network.


Ok , I must be missing something somewhere.., what would the Puppy server name be and how do i create the "share" , I know how to do that in say like Freenas.

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1040
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:57    Post_subject:  

jason.b.c wrote:
what would the Puppy server name be and how do i create the "share"

The Share name is PUPSERVER and the share is automatically created by Pupserver and is named usr=root passwd=woofwoof. I named it that to make it obvious what the username and password are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 19:36    Post_subject:  

jrb wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:
what would the Puppy server name be and how do i create the "share"

The Share name is PUPSERVER and the share is automatically created by Pupserver and is named usr=root passwd=woofwoof. I named it that to make it obvious what the username and password are.


it's still not working for me...

i'll try to post a screenshot... .

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
jason.b.c


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 758
Location: Marshfield,MO

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 19:43    Post_subject:  

hope they show up..

did i do this right??
Screenshot-1.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  Screenshot-1.png 
Filesize  478.51 KB 
Downloaded  344 Time(s) 
Screenshot.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  Screenshot.png 
Filesize  467.19 KB 
Downloaded  344 Time(s) 

_________________
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1152s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0339s) ][ GZIP on ]