Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
[SOLVED] Safe to have an xorg.conf file?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Mzg

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 17:13    Post subject:  [SOLVED] Safe to have an xorg.conf file?
Subject description: Or is it not generic enough?

Hello.

I got puppy 5.11 to work well on my laptop, but I noticed that it created a fairly specific xorg.conf file (e.g. specifying a radeon video driver and setting the screen resolution/depth to 1280x800/24).

I will take this bootable CD (and a flash drive with the pupsave - or possibly just a remastered CD) around to several computers, one of which is my desktop computer with a nvidia card, and a monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

Will the generated xorg.conf pose a problem, or will puppy autodetect and override its entries?

Last edited by Mzg on Thu 07 Oct 2010, 18:40; edited 1 time in total
shinobar

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 17:38    Post subject: Re: Safe to have an xorg.conf file?
Subject description: Or is it not generic enough?

Mzg wrote:
I got puppy 5.11 to work well on my laptop, but I noticed that it created a fairly specific xorg.conf file (e.g. specifying a radeon video driver and setting the screen resolution/depth to 1280x800/24).

I will take this bootable CD (and a flash drive with the pupsave - or possibly just a remastered CD) around to several computers, one of which is my desktop computer with a nvidia card, and a monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

Will the generated xorg.conf pose a problem, or will puppy autodetect and override its entries?

Did you try it?
I like to ask you what happens.

Something for a help:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=438056#438056
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=445124#445124
Mzg

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 19:14    Post subject:  

Yeah, I tried it and my computer exploded, a carrot walked in the door with an umbrella, and it started to rain outside Very Happy

No, seriously, I'll try it later when I have got my puppy configured like I want it and am ready for remastering.
Keanen

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 20:15    Post subject:  

I've tried that in the past. Here's what happens:

The live Puppy boots up at the resolution it was previously set to if it's available, and autodetects what video card is in the computer. When you go and plug it into another computer after that, it will keep the settings of the last computer and change things as necessary, like before.
Mzg

PostPosted: Wed 06 Oct 2010, 22:38    Post subject: Yay  

I made my remaster with an edited xorg.conf file. I removed all sections about monitors and video cards, and left those to be autodetected. I left the sections about mouse/touchpad settings, because I tend to get issues with my laptop (synaptics module not loading) if there is no xorg file.

I am now testing on my desktop computer, with the 1680x1050 res monitor and a nvidia GTX260 GPU. Mouse/keyboard is USB (wireless). Everything is working well, including mouse scroll wheel and additional buttons on the mouse. When booting up, I got the standard wizard for choosing video driver and monitor resolution. Manually selecting those works fine for me, so I'm happy Smile

I have yet to try the remaster CD on my laptop, it'll be fun to see if the touchpad is working... :S
Mzg

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct 2010, 15:54    Post subject: not so easy  

I had to keep more of the xorg file than that to get my touchpad to work - for some reason. Or maybe I did something wrong. Anyway, I ended up saving the entire (configured for my laptop) xorg file - hoping that it'll work on my desktop as well. Off to test now, will edit this post with results within the next hour.

EDIT:
Tested, and the result of this was that I got the Xorg Video Wizard on bootup on the desktop, like above. I selected stuff manually, and everything works perfectly.
Keanen

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct 2010, 18:44    Post subject:  

What did I tell you? It works perfectly.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct 2010, 19:28    Post subject:  

when you remaster, you need to manually specify any machine specific config files to be copied - otherwise it basically just adds all of your installed pets to the main sfs and crams it back in the iso. This is to prevent someone unintentionally making a puplet that only works on one machine.

I wrote a manual howto (using all gui tools) that gives you a bit more control for this type of thing, but is mainly just educational.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53241

Mzg

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 11:06    Post subject:  

Yes, I know, that's why I started this thread in the first place Smile

@ Keanen: I had to see it for myself to make sure Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to: