Wary Puppy 0.9 (090) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Jim1911

#61 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Here's the nvidia driver for k2.6.35.7 packaged. It's the latest 256.59 from the nvidia site.

Works for me and not bad at 15MB. There are details of what cards it is supposed to support.

Cheers
Thanks, worked great with my GeForce 8400 GS.

Jim

Terryphi

Re: OpenOffice freezes up system

#62 Post by Terryphi »

drblock2 wrote:A number of people have reported that opening OpenOffice 3.1/3.2 sfs files cause the system to freeze up necessitating a cold reboot (pressing the restart button).

Apparently, there is a problem with the newer kernel. I replaced the three crucial files: initrd.gz, vmlinuz and wary_090.sfs with those from the "retro" kernel 2.6.30.5 version and OpenOffice opened with no problem.
Thanks for the tip, drblock2. I'll try the retro kernel.

bigpup

#63 Post by bigpup »

Brown Mouse wrote:unfortunately I've tried both these drivers and others for my Geforce210 card and nothing will work so far.
Any further advice appreciated.
Make sure you are installing and changing drivers as shown here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58810

Terryphi

Re: OpenOffice freezes up system

#64 Post by Terryphi »

Terryphi wrote:
drblock2 wrote:A number of people have reported that opening OpenOffice 3.1/3.2 sfs files cause the system to freeze up necessitating a cold reboot (pressing the restart button).

Apparently, there is a problem with the newer kernel. I replaced the three crucial files: initrd.gz, vmlinuz and wary_090.sfs with those from the "retro" kernel 2.6.30.5 version and OpenOffice opened with no problem.
Thanks for the tip, drblock2. I'll try the retro kernel.
Yes. I confirm that OpenOffice 3.1 sfs file works without further tweaks with the retro kernel. Sadly, the font rendering is not quite so good on my hardware. Hopefully the kernel 2.6.35.7 version can be fixed.

peebee

agrsm test

#65 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Agere modem users,
To use it, please install it first, then install any or all of the "agrsm" packages posted here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 585#456585
for the 2.6.30.5 kernel only.
Richard
Hi Richard
Tried the new pet on pristine wary090 k2.6.30.5 plus the 2.1.80 agrsm package
agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225-k2.6.30.5.pet

No automagic detection - modprobe agrmodem gives errors:
Oct 11 17:50:40 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: disagrees about version of symbol snd_hda_codec_read
Oct 11 17:50:40 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_read
Oct 11 17:50:40 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: disagrees about version of symbol snd_hda_codec_write
Oct 11 17:50:40 puppypc user.warn kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_write

Cheers
Peter

capoverde

#66 Post by capoverde »

First test of Wary 0.9: fresh boot (i.e., no former Wary sfs or savefiles on this HD).

Tried setting a new wallpaper and succeeded first try, but when the mode setting (Tile, Stretched, Centre, Scaled) was changed, the background went back to the default one. Had to do everything again setting the mode before choosing the new background pic.

Upon exiting, the last dialog for saving a personal file displays too low on the screen for the last line to be viewed, so one has to guess what the default choice is - and gets it wrong, of course ':('

XVesa 1280x1024, Intel graphic card.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#67 Post by BarryK »

DaveS wrote:Maybe no dbus is a poor choice? It makes it hard to add Firefox or upgrade Seamonkey.
I created a Firefox 3.6.9 PET for Wary 0.9. PPM is broken but you can download it from the pet_packages-wary5 repo.

Note, I haven't even tested it. It was compiled in T2.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#68 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:
Starting a DVD is tortuous. Eventually, it worked but no idea how. Most distros now start CD/DVD playback automatically when the disc is inserted.
Just start the Ogle DVD player, in the Multimedia menu. The "trick" is that you have to choose "Open disc" in the File menu.

It is not the default, but the Puppy Event Manager (System menu) is configurable to auto-launch the Ogle DVD player when a DVD is inserted.

But even the default setting of the Event Manager is very good -- insert a DVD, when the icon appears, just click on it and the Ogle DVD player starts and the DVD starts playing.

...that is pretty simple I reckon.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#69 Post by BarryK »

I am thinking of rolling back to the 2.6.34.x kernel.

I compiled 2.6.35.7 because 01micko and playdayz want it for Maverick Puppy.

However, there are (at least) two problems, the boot parameter "video=640x480" no longer works, and the agrsm driver (all three of them) compiles in 2.6.34.x but not in 2.6.35.x.

Then there seems to be a problem with OO?

I don't know of any pressing need to go for 2.6.35.x.

01micko

#70 Post by 01micko »

One thing about 2.6.35.7.. it is the first Puppy kernel I have tried that both runs my P3 without crashing and shuts down completely. I had it running for 2 days non stop. The only other to come close was the Puppy 3 kernel (2.6.21.x?) , it ran ok with Puppy-431 retro retro but didn't shut down, big_bass slaxer_pup with slackware-2.6.7.7(?) ran ok too, but no shutdown.. so maybe I have a weird P3? Oh, the 2.6.27.47 wary kernel was ok too, but I forget if it shut down.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#71 Post by 01micko »

capoverde wrote:First test of Wary 0.9: fresh boot (i.e., no former Wary sfs or savefiles on this HD).

Tried setting a new wallpaper and succeeded first try, but when the mode setting (Tile, Stretched, Centre, Scaled) was changed, the background went back to the default one. Had to do everything again setting the mode before choosing the new background pic.

Upon exiting, the last dialog for saving a personal file displays too low on the screen for the last line to be viewed, so one has to guess what the default choice is - and gets it wrong, of course ':('

XVesa 1280x1024, Intel graphic card.
In lucid puppy we use a hacked Nathan wallpaper, an earlier version that zigbert, trio and myself all contributed.. see attached (it's all bashed based, written well before lupu existed :wink: )
Attachments
wallpaper_lupu-0.5.4.1.pet
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

rockdove

Couldn't read application.ini

#72 Post by rockdove »

Hi! Barry,

I am looking at Wary as a possible replacement for 412
on my legacy Compaq Deskpro (160M ram, 200 MHz P1 mmx)

Almost everything is working nicely so far. The big exception
is the installed browser won't launch. [I fumbled a previous bug
report on this and got it in the wrong place.]

I run Xvesa with a fresh frugal install. When I click on
Help or Browser, I just get some disk spinning then nothing.
When I type "puppyhelp" or "defaultbrowser" in a CLI, I
get "Couldn't read application.ini"

I installed Dillo2.0 so I could report this.
I'm looking forward to trying the next iteration.
Keep up the exciting work!

Terryphi

#73 Post by Terryphi »

BarryK wrote:I am thinking of rolling back to the 2.6.34.x kernel.
Good idea! Kernel 2.6.34.1 used in Wary 070 performed very well and displayed none of the problems I am currently seeing.

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

But even the default setting of the Event Manager is very good -- insert a DVD, when the icon appears, just click on it and the Ogle DVD player starts and the DVD starts playing.

...that is pretty simple I reckon.
Thanks for the comments, but not simple enough, evidently, if nothing happens when a DVD is inserted!

There are much more important issues, though. No sound would appear to be at the very top of the list, as it's show-stopping.

Moreover, if you stand a very long way back from the frontline, re-read pages 1 to 5 of this thread with neophyte (or putative convert) spectacles, the fixes and patches which come so easily to the regulars around here are probably non-starters for mere mortals. It was a smart move to number this one as 0.9. Acceptability amongst the great unwashed will depend on polish as it moves inexorably towards v5.0f. Guessing, this may well involve as great an effort as the last great push.

DaveS

#75 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote: Moreover, if you stand a very long way back from the frontline, re-read pages 1 to 5 of this thread with neophyte (or putative convert) spectacles, the fixes and patches which come so easily to the regulars around here are probably non-starters for mere mortals.
Sage.... dont forget this is a beta release intended for testing purposes only. The patches etc suggested are for inclusion in the final release, not intended for non tech guys like me (us?) to implement.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

dont forget this is a beta release
Absolutely! That's why I applaud its release, thus:
smart move to number this one as 0.9
With the polish, it has immense potential, or, if you're an electrical engineer, great possibilities!

DaveS

#77 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:
dont forget this is a beta release
Absolutely! That's why I applaud its release, thus:
smart move to number this one as 0.9
With the polish, it has immense potential, or, if you're an electrical engineer, great possibilities!
Or an optician... very far sighted :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

01m reprise.
Running Iron from Lupu. Confirms my suspicions - pure magic! Can doubt remain? This has to be the way forward. Just remains for the gurus to cut&compress Iron a bit more? Well worth the effort.
On the other hand, Lupu+Iron is an extremely attractive package...

Sage

#79 Post by Sage »

oops - clicked twice - sorry.

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Terryphi wrote:
BarryK wrote:I am thinking of rolling back to the 2.6.34.x kernel.
Good idea! Kernel 2.6.34.1 used in Wary 070 performed very well and displayed none of the problems I am currently seeing.
I didn't ry 'mix'n'match' wary, was too busy with other stuff, I will have to see if 2.6.34.1 is as good as 2.6.35.7 on my P3.. then make more nvidia drivers!

BTW, I don't think Lupu needs to be on the 'bleeding edge' kernel wise, 2.6.33.2 is performing great, we'll see what Barry does with Wary kernel before we decide on anything for Lupu. Drivers compiled will then most likely be compatible. (Though Xorg drivers have a different path)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sage wrote:01m reprise.
Running Iron from Lupu. Confirms my suspicions - pure magic! Can doubt remain? This has to be the way forward. Just remains for the gurus to cut&compress Iron a bit more? Well worth the effort.
On the other hand, Lupu+Iron is an extremely attractive package...
Aw gee!

Lupu certainly has it's place, as does wary. It would be good to have a Chrome like browser though for Wary, Chromeplus maybe? (xman's suggestion)

Cheers