Wary Puppy 0.9 (090) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

dont forget this is a beta release
Absolutely! That's why I applaud its release, thus:
smart move to number this one as 0.9
With the polish, it has immense potential, or, if you're an electrical engineer, great possibilities!

DaveS

#77 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:
dont forget this is a beta release
Absolutely! That's why I applaud its release, thus:
smart move to number this one as 0.9
With the polish, it has immense potential, or, if you're an electrical engineer, great possibilities!
Or an optician... very far sighted :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

01m reprise.
Running Iron from Lupu. Confirms my suspicions - pure magic! Can doubt remain? This has to be the way forward. Just remains for the gurus to cut&compress Iron a bit more? Well worth the effort.
On the other hand, Lupu+Iron is an extremely attractive package...

Sage

#79 Post by Sage »

oops - clicked twice - sorry.

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Terryphi wrote:
BarryK wrote:I am thinking of rolling back to the 2.6.34.x kernel.
Good idea! Kernel 2.6.34.1 used in Wary 070 performed very well and displayed none of the problems I am currently seeing.
I didn't ry 'mix'n'match' wary, was too busy with other stuff, I will have to see if 2.6.34.1 is as good as 2.6.35.7 on my P3.. then make more nvidia drivers!

BTW, I don't think Lupu needs to be on the 'bleeding edge' kernel wise, 2.6.33.2 is performing great, we'll see what Barry does with Wary kernel before we decide on anything for Lupu. Drivers compiled will then most likely be compatible. (Though Xorg drivers have a different path)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sage wrote:01m reprise.
Running Iron from Lupu. Confirms my suspicions - pure magic! Can doubt remain? This has to be the way forward. Just remains for the gurus to cut&compress Iron a bit more? Well worth the effort.
On the other hand, Lupu+Iron is an extremely attractive package...
Aw gee!

Lupu certainly has it's place, as does wary. It would be good to have a Chrome like browser though for Wary, Chromeplus maybe? (xman's suggestion)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Tasgarth

Nvidia driver and Wary

#81 Post by Tasgarth »

01Micko,
Running Wary-090 Nvidia driver (GeForce 7600 GT) is OK for me.

Thanks
Last edited by Tasgarth on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Thanks, Barry

#82 Post by gjuhasz »

Running Wary-090 in three different environment.

P4 celeron 2500 MHz, Nvidia 6200, wired LAN

1. nv driver: shifts the screen right. I tried tweaking xorg.conf using Xvidtune. It is OK until I restart X then the shifted screen appears again. It seems that Xvidtune does not update xorg.conf but simply deletes it.

2. Nvidia proprietary driver: Any time I tried, pinstall failed to download Barry's nvidia pet. I could install the same file directly from the pet's repo.
Using Micko's driver, in contrast to other puppies, the gears' rotation speed changes when changing glxgears' window size. They rotate too fast even at the default window size (sync to vblank does not help). I will try with Barry's nvidia pet soon.

P2 Toshiba Tecra 8000, 256 MB, neomagic video card, rt73 usb wifi

1. dbus: Although dbus slowers the system about 15%, I installed the libdbus with its dependency (dbus permissive) using pinstall. From this point, there was no problem to run any software directly from my hard disk.
To tell the truth, I like trying nightly releases of Firefox, Seamonkey etc. I install the static packages on hard disk instead of (over)loading the 2fs file with them. I have only 256 MB of RAM...

2. performance: I don't see relevant performance boost against Wary-070. For comparison, I use /usr/share/examples/vector-images/omelette.swf, glxgears and glxheads. With dbus, after the mesa pet installed, and glxgears copied, the situation is the same as in Wary-070. Gears do not rotate but vibrate, frames/sec is the highest ever. Also, glxheads produces the highest rotation speed I've ever seen in my Tecra, same as in Wary-070. Wary-090 bakes my omelette a bit slower than 070.
I will try another mesa pet soon.

3. Sound out of the box: Similarly to other puppies since 4.3, the required snd-opl3 driver not autoloaded. No problem, forcing including it in bootup process always succeeds.

4. Due to the X11/Xv default setting, mplayer shows blue window for some video streams such as NBC. If I set to X11, the stream is OK but mplayer does not save the changes in the settings. Note that X11/Xv is OK for nvidia but not for mesa. With the earlier mplayer-post-1.0rc3-svn-31792-i486.pet everything is OK.

VirtualBox

No virtualization-specific problem appeared yet.

EDIT: Only 2.6.30.5 version allows setting vesa driver. I cannot configure sound in VirtualBox for Wary-090, however. Alsaconf tries to update /etc/modprobe.conf, then lots of error messages appear.
---------------

Bottom line:

Compatibility of 090 is better than of 070, e.g., my favorite weather widget becomes visible without killing other apps such as geany and skype.

Workarounds exist. Lacking or not autostarting features (dbus, sound) can easily be added/recovered. However, some workarounds, e.g., avoiding "format cell crash" in Gnumeric are inconvenient.
EDIT: Thanks for the hint of DaveS below. Installed the newer gnumeric and goffice pets. Gnumeric crash problem solved.

I would like to see a minimalist Wary version from Barry - I mean the ISO around 50 MB. The users could fatten it by installing what they need from the pets created by Barry and/or others.
Last edited by gjuhasz on Wed 13 Oct 2010, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#83 Post by Terryphi »

01micko wrote:
Terryphi wrote:
BarryK wrote:I am thinking of rolling back to the 2.6.34.x kernel.
Good idea! Kernel 2.6.34.1 used in Wary 070 performed very well and displayed none of the problems I am currently seeing.
BTW, I don't think Lupu needs to be on the 'bleeding edge' kernel wise, 2.6.33.2 is performing great, we'll see what Barry does with Wary kernel before we decide on anything for Lupu.
I agree. Kernel 2.6.33.2 performs very well in Quirky 130. I would be happy to see it used in a Long Term Support version.

capoverde

#84 Post by capoverde »

01micko wrote: In lucid puppy we use a hacked Nathan wallpaper, an earlier version that zigbert, trio and myself all contributed.. see attached (...)
Thanks micko, it seems to me that this odd trick of switching back to the default background when changing display modes never appeared before: no big bug, but worth crushing.
I have Lupu on other partitions and in fact no such thing happens; will test your .pet package with Wary 0.9 ASAP, I'm with Quirky now.
Last edited by capoverde on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

broomdodger

Xfontsel font viewer -- missing?

#85 Post by broomdodger »

Xfontsel font viewer
- wary090 does not work
+ quirky130 ok

Searched for 'xfontsel' found:
/usr/share/applications/Xfontsel-font-viewer.desktop

Clicked on the app:
Failed to execute child process "xfontsel" (No such file or directory)

xman

#86 Post by xman »

xman wrote:Chromeplus (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56663) is very good substitute for Chrome or Iron in Wary 030 (and XP), but slow in Quirky 130. I haven’t tried Wary 090 yet.
I gave false information about chromeplus in Q130. I had different adblock settings in W030 and Q130 on chromeplus options page. Yes, chromeplus is lightning fast in Q130 after removing adblock filters. Google-libs are needed (http://code.google.com/p/mywolfe/downloads/list).

Opera is also nice browser for Wary, just click file icon after download: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/almostth ... 0_i386.deb or http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/zen_10.7 ... 7_i386.deb.

gerry

#87 Post by gerry »

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 090

Chip description:
Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter

Driver used by Xorg:
sis

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running on Intel Celeron 600MHz, 256MB ram.

EDIT: Problem with recognising and mounting usb stick suddenly went away- Canon i965 printer on Windows machine now printing happily. Used Pnethood to connect printer.

And I can't for the life of me work out what lameSMBqmount and lameSMBexplorer are supposed to do- Pnethood still works though.

Using Kernel 2.6.35.7

Could be a worthy successor to Puppy 431!!

gerry
Last edited by gerry on Tue 12 Oct 2010, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#88 Post by Ray MK »

Hi xman

Thanks for the Opera link.

Running 10.63.6450_i386.deb right now in Wary 051 and it flies.

Even on my old IBM A21m laptop. only 190mb ram and a P3 coppermine proc. plus a swap partition.

Must try it with Wary 070 and 090. And Quirky, Squeeze, Fluppy, lupu511 and all the variations.

Again - many thanks and best regards - Ray

scsijon

wary090 first run box1(troubleandstrife)

#89 Post by scsijon »

Firstly, well done, first version since 2.14 that this box has had no install problems with, even probe'd properly, only x thing is the screen is displaying slightly narrowed, but that can be resolved.
BarryK wrote:
DaveS wrote:Maybe no dbus is a poor choice? It makes it hard to add Firefox or upgrade Seamonkey.
I created a Firefox 3.6.9 PET for Wary 0.9. PPM is broken but you can download it from the pet_packages-wary5 repo.

Note, I haven't even tested it. It was compiled in T2.
Found I had to download via browser

I'm actually running on Hv3, from the two pets in http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60543 and except for a crappy font at the moment (I haven't tried any changes) it's good, and the downloading is "fast and furious" so their can't be a complaint on that spec.

Also found on install that the firefox pet's don't seem to have any menu appearances in them. It does seem to run ok when manually started though.

well on to hard testing and building a Eudora OSE1 pet for it
regards
scsijon

DaveS

#90 Post by DaveS »

Could anyone suggest how I might go about fixing the seg fault in Gnumeric?

Got it.. 1.10.9 works from here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-wary5/ Care, needs goffice-0.8.9-w5.pet from same page
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Strange way of the save file.

#91 Post by Béèm »

Using Wary 090 the 35 kernel
Did already try 030 and 060 without problems.

Installed with the Lin'N'Win method as usual and as all my puppies and booted with pfix=ram

I got the panel to create a save file and created one on sda2 as usual.
On next boot I had all the questions again for keyboard, timezone xorg etc... I didn't get the screen to select a save file. I should have got it as I had 2 save files (030 and 060) on sda2 and expected the 090 one.

So when I had the desktop I looked and found on sda2 a directory, wary090, in which the newly 090 created save file was.
I copied it to the root of sda2 next to the 030 and 060 one.
I booted normally and again I wasn't presented to select a save file and got the whole process again of selecting keyb etc....

As nobody reported this so far, I wonder what could be the cause .
Something weird on my PC?

Oh yes, I checked the md5sum and it was ok.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Terryphi

Re: Strange way of the save file.

#92 Post by Terryphi »

Béèm wrote:Using Wary 090 the 35 kernel

I always put different Puppies in different directories and the save files go in the appropriate directories. Isn't that the expected behaviour?

Hesse James

#93 Post by Hesse James »

Again Sound Problem with Wary 0.9 (2.6.35.7)
My Mainboard sound Nvidia MCP79 HDA was recognized by Alsa setup so far by all Puplets until 2.6.33 Kernel (Wary, Quirky, Lupu511...). With the latter I could even activate simultaneous HDMI and S/PDIF output.

For some reasons the sound card is not recognized by Alsa setup in Wary 0.9 despite the same modules are loaded. For a comparison I took Iguleders Dpup8 with 2.6.35 and - surprise - sound card not recognized too.
Is it a general Kernel issue ?
Not having digged too deeply into the problem: does anybody else have faced the problem ? Is it also a depmod trap ? I played around a bit with this but without success.
Does it make sense to imstall a newer Alsa 1.0.23 ?

Thanks in advance for an answer.

Terryphi

#94 Post by Terryphi »

Hesse James wrote:Again Sound Problem with Wary 0.9 (2.6.35.7)
My Mainboard sound Nvidia MCP79 HDA was recognized by Alsa setup so far by all Puplets until 2.6.33 Kernel (Wary, Quirky, Lupu511...). With the latter I could even activate simultaneous HDMI and S/PDIF output.

For some reasons the sound card is not recognized by Alsa setup in Wary 0.9 despite the same modules are loaded. For a comparison I took Iguleders Dpup8 with 2.6.35 and - surprise - sound card not recognized too.
Is it a general Kernel issue ?
Not having digged too deeply into the problem: does anybody else have faced the problem ? Is it also a depmod trap ? I played around a bit with this but without success.
Does it make sense to imstall a newer Alsa 1.0.23 ?
Thanks in advance for an answer.
There is a definitely bug in Wary 090 which affects sound. I do not know if it is an issue with kernel 2.6.35.7 or something else. I suggest you wait for the next version of Wary.

This recent post in Barry's blog may be relevant:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01856

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Strange way of the save file.

#95 Post by Béèm »

Terryphi wrote:
Béèm wrote:Using Wary 090 the 35 kernel

I always put different Puppies in different directories and the save files go in the appropriate directories. Isn't that the expected behaviour?
All my puppy files are in their respective directories on sda1.
The corresponding save files are in the root of sda2.
This is one of the normal installation practice and has never caused a problem during the last 3 years or so I use the puppies.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]