Some suggestions that will make Puppy excellent

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
stu90

#46 Post by stu90 »

Hi akash_rawal,

What windows manager and theme are you running in that screen shot above?

i like! :D

akash_rawal

#47 Post by akash_rawal »

stu90 wrote:Hi akash_rawal,

I am using:
  • Wallpaper: See the world.jpg
  • Window manager: Beryl, with Emerald decorator
  • Window decorator theme: A-New-Hope (see attachment)
  • Gtk theme: A-New-Hope (see attachment)
Attachments
gtk_theme_a_new_hope.pet
Requires murrine engine to work properly
(29.12 KiB) Downloaded 529 times

stu90

#48 Post by stu90 »

akash_rawal wrote:
stu90 wrote:Hi akash_rawal,

I am using:
  • Wallpaper: See the world.jpg
  • Window manager: Beryl, with Emerald decorator
  • Window decorator theme: A-New-Hope (see attachment)
  • Gtk theme: A-New-Hope (see attachment)
Thanks akash_rawal - i never herd of Beryl before - looks sweet. :)

cheers.

recobayu

Re: 4. Shutting down puppy by power button

#49 Post by recobayu »

thank you very much akash, now my luci 258 has label on drive icon.
how if the longer label cut to the wide of icon, for example "somethingdriveiconlabel" tobe "someth..."
maybe it is better.
:wink:
akash_rawal wrote:4. Shutting down puppy by power button

This one is pretty easy.
Just wrote a small shell script of just 5 lines:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cat /proc/acpi/event |
while read line; do
	wmpoweroff
done
You may want to replace "wmpoweroff" with your favorite shutdown manager like PupShutdown.

now i am really new and interested to studying programming with sh language on puppy.
i want to PupShutdown appear when i press powerbutton on my laptop.
Edit: i know how it be.
I use that script on /root/Startup. I restart x server, n i got it! My power button works.
thanks
:D

pemasu

#50 Post by pemasu »

Anyone knows how to enable hibernation?
Sorry about late response. I just now find this thread through posted link.

You enable hibernation when you compile the kernel with hibernation enabled.

Anyway, in Puppies hibernation is quite useless. It takes time to write the RAM content to the swap partition, after that it locks the swap partition, until you boot the same hibernated Puppy, and it takes time to write the swap content back.

Only useful usage I have found, is that you can install applications without savefile when using pristine, fresh frugal install. Hibernate the Puppy and you can that way shutdown your comp. When booting back to the same Puppy, you have those installed applications in hand without savefile created.

Puppy shuts down and starts many times faster than hibernation is able

r1tz

#51 Post by r1tz »

Hmmm, i feel that even windows start up and shut down faster then when hibernating.

But hibernation is great when you don't feel like closing your 100 tabs and programs only to start them again when you reboot a few hours later.

recobayu

drive icon label and space between

#52 Post by recobayu »

drive icon label fix
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=30

i make some change on the function blkid_name_generator() to manage the longer drive icon label, something like "ThisIsMyLabel" tobe just "ThisIsMy..", here we go.

blkid_name_generator() {
#Gather blkid output and filter out required device
if [ ! -f /tmp/blkid.txt ]; then
blkid -c /dev/null > /tmp/blkid.txt
fi
blkid_cleaner &
LABEL=""
eval $( cat /tmp/blkid.txt | grep "$@:" | cut --delimiter=" " -f 2- | sed -e 's/ /;/g' )
LABEL=${LABEL//;/ }
if [ ${#LABEL} -gt 8 ]
then
	LABEL=${LABEL:0:8}..
fi
#Generate drive label
if [ "$LABEL" = "" ]; then ONEDRVLABEL="$@\n \n "; else ONEDRVLABEL="${LABEL}\n($@)\n "; fi
}
next, to change the space between drive icon,
1. make a text file in the /tmp folder name 'pup_event_icon_change_flag' then write: ICONWIPE on it. and save.
2. edit the "ICON_PLACE_SPACING" on the /etc/eventmanager tobe 75. save it.
3. restart xserver.

sickgut

#53 Post by sickgut »

regarding these two points:

1. Desktop drive icons: They should show volume labels along with drive numbers.
2. Grub bootloader config: It should have ability to detect existing operating systems and generate appropriate configurations to boot them. (I think the easiest way to do that is to read existing bootloader config files, or better still edit existing bootloader.)

The volume labels issue could be introduced by using the "usbmount" package, this creates a dir called usbmount in /var/run/ and here there are shortcuts made to the detected drives and the name of the shortcut is the firmware name of the device, such as Lexar 8GB USB flash or Toshiba M88764628 these arent real actual names of real devices but an example of the type of naming. A desktop icon that links to /var/run/usbmount/ would provide the desktop interface for this. This is something i have done in Pussy Linux.

The 2nd issue listed here is better Grub etc etc etc etc etc
This is a general linux issue and is a type of holy grail for pretty much any inquizitive linux user.

akash_rawal

#54 Post by akash_rawal »

There is a possible fix for multiline drive labels, a problem that was brought to notice by a PM from someone.

Here is the replacement function:

blkid_name_generator() {
	LABEL=""
	eval "`blkid "/dev/$1" | cut --delimiter=" " -f 2- | sed -e 's/ /;/g'`"
	LABEL="${LABEL//;/ }"
	#Generate drive label
	if test "$LABEL" = ""; then ONEDRVLABEL="$@\n \n "; else ONEDRVLABEL="${LABEL}\n($@)\n "; fi
}
sickgut wrote: The volume labels issue could be introduced by using the "usbmount" package, this creates a dir called usbmount in /var/run/ and here there are shortcuts made to the detected drives and the name of the shortcut is the firmware name of the device, such as Lexar 8GB USB flash or Toshiba M88764628 these arent real actual names of real devices but an example of the type of naming. A desktop icon that links to /var/run/usbmount/ would provide the desktop interface for this.
Well, I am now planning to implement drive icons using gtkdialog instead of rox-filer. This should easily allow more features and same code could work for any DE.

I will include the features mentioned in this thread in the gtkdialog version.

puppyluvr

#55 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Regarding Hibernation...
Using 2.6.38.4 from Pemasu, and acpitools, my laptop sleeps (acpitool -s.. small s 'suspend to ram') in 3 seconds, and wakes in 5.. Works great..
However acpitool -S (big s 'suspend to disk') is death to X..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jemimah

#56 Post by jemimah »

akash_rawal wrote:There is a possible fix for multiline drive labels, a problem that was brought to notice by a PM from someone.

Here is the replacement function:

blkid_name_generator() {
	LABEL=""
	eval "`blkid "/dev/$1" | cut --delimiter=" " -f 2- | sed -e 's/ /;/g'`"
	LABEL="${LABEL//;/ }"
	#Generate drive label
	if test "$LABEL" = ""; then ONEDRVLABEL="$@\n \n "; else ONEDRVLABEL="${LABEL}\n($@)\n "; fi
}
sickgut wrote: The volume labels issue could be introduced by using the "usbmount" package, this creates a dir called usbmount in /var/run/ and here there are shortcuts made to the detected drives and the name of the shortcut is the firmware name of the device, such as Lexar 8GB USB flash or Toshiba M88764628 these arent real actual names of real devices but an example of the type of naming. A desktop icon that links to /var/run/usbmount/ would provide the desktop interface for this.
Well, I am now planning to implement drive icons using gtkdialog instead of rox-filer. This should easily allow more features and same code could work for any DE.

I will include the features mentioned in this thread in the gtkdialog version.
Just FYI so it doesn't take you as long to figure this out. There's some stuff referring to ROX hardcoded into the binary mount/umount commands (I think, it's been a while since I played with this).

Something cool the xandros eeepc os did was put the icons for disks into the tray. I've been thinking for a while to try to copy that functionality.

recobayu

#57 Post by recobayu »

ok, i'll wait for your gtkdialog
i have a problem with drive icon.
after i install wbar with setup from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.pet on my lupu 528, then i goto desksetup template for desk icons, i choose bare -no desktop icons and traditional form drive icon layout. after restart X server, my drive icons tobe like this (drive numpuk.png).
it should be like other one (drive normal.png).
what should i do?
thanks akash_rawal
Attachments
drive normal.png
(14.73 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
drive numpuk.png
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
myblog: [url]http://muktyas.blogspot.com[/url]

Puppyt

#58 Post by Puppyt »

Probably just a retrogressive thought, but what about setting up (a) wbar to show only drive/partitions, with labels edited manually perhaps (via wbar config)? I imagine that the main hassle then would be automatic mount/unmount - but then I'm not too imaginative, and there's bound to be hundreds of alternatives ;)

P.S. On actually re-reading some of the previous posts I see that the discussion had reached that point already - and a wbar+drive mounter would run into problems with events such as flash drive insertions. Apologies all for my attempt to add to the debate - it's been a long week.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

recobayu

#59 Post by recobayu »

if we add label on drive icon, the position of 'x' sign go upper. so we must click on below the x sign like that image.
we can fix it by small change.
this is what i do:
1. open as text file /usr/local/bin/drive_all
find on row 178

CURPOSY=$(($CURPOSY + 32))
change with
CURPOSY=$(($CURPOSY + 45))
save
2. right click on one drive, run desktop drive icon manager
3. then thick box to erase then redraw and realign existing icons
4. restart x server
now we can safely remove drive on right place.
:)
myblog: [url]http://muktyas.blogspot.com[/url]