PeasyScan Image Scanner Program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
roadkill13

Success

#46 Post by roadkill13 »

rcrsn51 Wrote:
Please post the URI you are trying. It should be something like
Code:
<uri>hpaio:/net/Photosmart_D110_series?ip=10.0.0.3</uri>

Note that the HP_ prefix has been removed from the printer name.
I apologize for taking so long to post on this. I have been very busy. That did the trick. I thought surely I had tried that but apparently not.

Code:
<uri>hpaio:/net/Photosmart_D110_series?ip=10.0.0.6</uri>
worked just fine. I had shut down the network and physically rearranged some items and the printer popped up on a different ip than it had been using but otherwise your suggestion did the trick.

Thank you!

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasyscan v2.3 is now available. See Page 1.

Dromeno

Peasyscan as ocr gui?

#48 Post by Dromeno »

I like the simple gui of peasyscan! But is it possible to change it a bit so that it also opens when no scanner is attached (then it can be used as ocr gui)

rcrsn51

Re: Peasyscan as ocr gui?

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dromeno wrote:But is it possible to change it a bit so that it also opens when no scanner is attached (then it can be used as ocr gui)
How do you want to use it?

On page 1, there is the pic2txt command line program for doing OCR. Is it what you are looking for?

Dromeno

pic2txt gui?

#50 Post by Dromeno »

Hi rcrsn51,

Yes pic2txt is almost what I am looking for. But is it possible to

- add a GUI (like peasyocr) and

(less important)
- make it work with not-ocr'd PDF files in one click?

rcrsn51

Re: pic2txt gui?

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dromeno wrote:Yes pic2txt is almost what I am looking for. But is it possible to - add a GUI (like peasyocr)
I considered adding a GUI to pic2txt. But the command line version is better for processing batches of files. For example

Code: Select all

pic2txt *.jpg
make it work with not-ocr'd PDF files in one click?
Are you talking about extracting the text from a PDF file? Look at the latest PeasyPDF.

rcrsn51

#52 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pic2txt now has a GUI version.

robwoj44

#53 Post by robwoj44 »

Is it possible to scan more than one page in one pdf file with peasyscan? Of course I can combine two pdfs with peasypdf, but is it possible with peasyscan?

rcrsn51

#54 Post by rcrsn51 »

robwoj44 wrote:Is it possible to scan more than one page in one pdf file with peasyscan?
Only if your scanner has an Automatic Document Feeder. The Peasyscan ADF function will give you the option of joining the individual pages into a single PDF document.

[Edit] See Peasyscan v2.5.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

robwoj44

#55 Post by robwoj44 »

Thank you for your quick answer. I checked and my HP PSC 1215 does not have an Automatic Document Feeder. However, simple scan allows me to scan multiple pages and make one pdf (using probably other method).

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sorry. I have looked at this issue before and couldn't find a way to do it without major changes.

[Edit] See Peasyscan v2.5.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

robwoj44

#57 Post by robwoj44 »

No problem. I use peasypdf and I can combine the files. Your applications are small and usefull. I like especially peasydisc. Only one missing feature for me is the pause in audio playback.

rcrsn51

#58 Post by rcrsn51 »

robwoj44 wrote:Only one missing feature for me is the pause in audio playback.
When I added the audio CD player to PeasyDisc, it was meant to be a very simple tool to use with ripping and burning.

If you want a CD player with more features, look at PeasyMP3. It takes a bit of setup to convert it into a CD player, but you will have more control over playback.

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasyscan v2.5 is posted on Page 1.

starhawk

#60 Post by starhawk »

v.2.5 works with my Xerox Documate 510 -- very nice!

One small nitpick: while most people will be quite fine at 150dpi, being an artist I find myself needing to move that slider a goodly bit -- and being that it IS a slider, I find it very hard as such to get /exactly/ 200dpi, 300dpi, etc. -- it likes to stop at 201dpi or 301dpi which are NOT standard resolutions!

Perhaps it wouldn't be too much to go back to a text box for that? or even a drop-down menu -- there's only so many standard resolutions...

72,96,150,200,300,600,1200 dpi would be more than enough unless working with slides... (yes, slides are still around -- my father is a graphic artist for the US EPA during the day, and when they don't own his time, he freelances -- and he does A LOT with slides during that freelance time. it's amazing how many people still have them and want clean digital copies -- and if they will pay, he does it.)

IIRC with slides it goes up to at least 2800dpi -- but I can find out for sure if it matters...

rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasyscan v2.7 is posted above. Please read the Update note.

fuelish

#62 Post by fuelish »

Installed Peasyscan 2.7 in Slacko 55.

I only see the first screen in Peasyscan, I never see Preferences screen.

Only Start and Auto buttons work.

Start button says Starting scanner OK, but that is all it does

Only Auto would scan.

Scanner connected with USB cable.

My Epson Perfection 1240u flatbed scanner works perfectly in Xsane.

If I succeed with Peasyscan I will try Tesseract OCR next.

I also have an Epson XP-300 connected by wireless I would like to get OCR working on but first I just need to get Peasyscan working better. TIA

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your Perfection 1240U is handled by the SANE epson2 backend. Please read the Peasyscan Help (the first page of this thread). It discusses a problem with epson2 and a work-around.

fuelish

#64 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51,

I did read the first post but since Xsane works OOB I had hoped Peasyscan would too which is why I did not edit the configuration file.

After editing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf Peasyscan now displays Preferences screen when clicking Start and after selecting 300dpi scanning proceeds. I say proceeds because I hear the scanner working but other than that there is no indication that anything is happing. But when I click Return a preview screen opens in Viewnior and I see my scan. However Viewnior has no means to save the scan. So I close Viewnior. At that point I must click Folder button browse to my-documents and for file name enter test.png and OK. Back in Peasyscan I click Save and a message tells me test.png was saved in my-documents.

Or

To save scan as file when Peasyscan first starts I must click Folder button, browser to my-documents and type test.png click Start, Scan, Return. Then I see my scan in Viewnior. I close Viewnior and in Peasyscan I click Save and a message tells me test.png was saved in my-documents.

So scanning works but every time I start Peasyscan my 300dpi setting is not retained and I must set it again. How can I get Peasyscan to retain this setting?

I did try the configuration file and when opening Peasyscan I am asked to select a configuration file. I select /usr/local/peasyscan/config/config-test.cfg

<resolution>300</resolution>
But when Peasyscan runs it is still set to the default 50dpi resolution. How can I get Peasyscan to start with 300dpi resolution?

For now I deleted config-test.cfg it doesn’t seem to do anything.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

fuelish wrote:After editing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf Peasyscan now displays Preferences screen when clicking Start and after selecting 300dpi scanning proceeds. I say proceeds because I hear the scanner working but other than that there is no indication that anything is happing.
You should have seen a little "progress" window appear in the upper left corner of your screen.

Did you use the Preview function? On the first page of this thread, there is a recipe and flash video for using Peasyscan. First-time users are sometimes frustrated by Peasyscan because it doesn't work exactly like other scanner apps they have used.
However Viewnior has no means to save the scan.
Correct.
I did try the configuration file and when opening Peasyscan I am asked to select a configuration file. I select /usr/local/peasyscan/config/config-test.cfg

<resolution>300</resolution>
But when Peasyscan runs it is still set to the default 50dpi resolution. How can I get Peasyscan to start with 300dpi resolution?
Settings in a Peasyscan configuration file only apply to Auto scanning. But try this:

Click Start.
Set your resolution.
Click Preferences
Select Save Device Settings.

However, depending on the scanner model, this does not always work for me.
For now I deleted config-test.cfg it doesn’t seem to do anything.
See above.

[Edit] I tested "Save Device Settings" with an Epson XP-310 that uses the Epkowa driver. It worked correctly.