PeasyScan Image Scanner Program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasyscan v2.7 is posted above. Please read the Update note.

fuelish

#62 Post by fuelish »

Installed Peasyscan 2.7 in Slacko 55.

I only see the first screen in Peasyscan, I never see Preferences screen.

Only Start and Auto buttons work.

Start button says Starting scanner OK, but that is all it does

Only Auto would scan.

Scanner connected with USB cable.

My Epson Perfection 1240u flatbed scanner works perfectly in Xsane.

If I succeed with Peasyscan I will try Tesseract OCR next.

I also have an Epson XP-300 connected by wireless I would like to get OCR working on but first I just need to get Peasyscan working better. TIA

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your Perfection 1240U is handled by the SANE epson2 backend. Please read the Peasyscan Help (the first page of this thread). It discusses a problem with epson2 and a work-around.

fuelish

#64 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51,

I did read the first post but since Xsane works OOB I had hoped Peasyscan would too which is why I did not edit the configuration file.

After editing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf Peasyscan now displays Preferences screen when clicking Start and after selecting 300dpi scanning proceeds. I say proceeds because I hear the scanner working but other than that there is no indication that anything is happing. But when I click Return a preview screen opens in Viewnior and I see my scan. However Viewnior has no means to save the scan. So I close Viewnior. At that point I must click Folder button browse to my-documents and for file name enter test.png and OK. Back in Peasyscan I click Save and a message tells me test.png was saved in my-documents.

Or

To save scan as file when Peasyscan first starts I must click Folder button, browser to my-documents and type test.png click Start, Scan, Return. Then I see my scan in Viewnior. I close Viewnior and in Peasyscan I click Save and a message tells me test.png was saved in my-documents.

So scanning works but every time I start Peasyscan my 300dpi setting is not retained and I must set it again. How can I get Peasyscan to retain this setting?

I did try the configuration file and when opening Peasyscan I am asked to select a configuration file. I select /usr/local/peasyscan/config/config-test.cfg

Code: Select all

<resolution>300</resolution>
But when Peasyscan runs it is still set to the default 50dpi resolution. How can I get Peasyscan to start with 300dpi resolution?

For now I deleted config-test.cfg it doesn’t seem to do anything.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

fuelish wrote:After editing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf Peasyscan now displays Preferences screen when clicking Start and after selecting 300dpi scanning proceeds. I say proceeds because I hear the scanner working but other than that there is no indication that anything is happing.
You should have seen a little "progress" window appear in the upper left corner of your screen.

Did you use the Preview function? On the first page of this thread, there is a recipe and flash video for using Peasyscan. First-time users are sometimes frustrated by Peasyscan because it doesn't work exactly like other scanner apps they have used.
However Viewnior has no means to save the scan.
Correct.
I did try the configuration file and when opening Peasyscan I am asked to select a configuration file. I select /usr/local/peasyscan/config/config-test.cfg

<resolution>300</resolution>
But when Peasyscan runs it is still set to the default 50dpi resolution. How can I get Peasyscan to start with 300dpi resolution?
Settings in a Peasyscan configuration file only apply to Auto scanning. But try this:

Click Start.
Set your resolution.
Click Preferences
Select Save Device Settings.

However, depending on the scanner model, this does not always work for me.
For now I deleted config-test.cfg it doesn’t seem to do anything.
See above.

[Edit] I tested "Save Device Settings" with an Epson XP-310 that uses the Epkowa driver. It worked correctly.

fuelish

#66 Post by fuelish »

I see the progress window now. Preview works now.
rcrsn51 wrote:On the first page of this thread, there is a recipe and flash video for using Peasyscan.
In this post when I clicked Download message said General Error, An Error Occurred. IIRC I did see this post but I don’t generally look at videos.
Settings in a Peasyscan configuration file only apply to Auto scanning. But try this:

Click Start.
Set your resolution.
Click Preferences
Select Save Device Settings.

However, depending on the scanner model, this does not always work for me.
This works with my Epson Perfection 1240u flatbed scanner. Resolution now stays set to 300dpi. If I press Reset resoution returns to 50dpi.

I also got OCR to work:

Select Text - OCR mode
Click Folder button
Browse to my-documents, enter file name test.txt
Click Start, Scan, Return
Scan opens in Viewnior as out.png
Close Viewnior
Click Save
In OCR popup select English, Convert
Message says Image saved in /root/my-documents/test.txt

Tesseract OCR did better than OCR that came with this scanner. Two column machine text was converted to one colum with no breaks for paragraphs in text document. Only a few mistakes with fractions inserted by Word as symbols such as 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, very impressive!
[Edit]I tested "Save Device Settings" with an Epson XP-310 that uses the Epkowa driver. It worked correctly.
I will now try to get this working with Epson XP-300 on a laptop wirelessly. If I run into issues I will post here.

Thank you for your help. And thank you for your excellent software!

rcrsn51

#67 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent!

Thanks for the info about the flash video. It was another attachment that disappeared under the new forum restrictions.

fuelish

#68 Post by fuelish »

I am now working with Peasyscan on a laptop in Slacko 55 with an Epson XP-300. The XP-300 prints fine wirelessly.

I installed the epkowa driver from this post and made the recommended changes to the configuration files. When I start Peasyscan it says No scanner detected.

If I use USB cord and plug XP-300 in directly Peasyscan works fine.

How can I get XP-300 to work wirelessly with Peasyscan? TIA

rcrsn51

#69 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tested this with my XP-310 and it worked correctly.

1. In WiFi mode, it has the IP address 192.168.2.12

2. In /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf, I added the line

net 192.168.2.12
3. In /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, I blacklisted epson2 and verified that epkowa was listed at the end.

4. I ran Peasyscan. It detected the scanner. In the Peasyscan title bar, it said

epkowa:net:192.168.2.12
With my unit, the default connection method is DHCP. So if you reboot the unit, there is a chance that its IP address may change. Are you sure that you used the correct IP in epkowa.conf?

Do you have the firewall running?

fuelish

#70 Post by fuelish »

Turning firewall on or off made no difference.

I blacklisted epson and epson2 in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

I was confused by the post I linked to and put this instead of an IP address.

net aaa.bbb.cc.dd

I looked in CUPS for printer IP which was 192.168.1.2. I put IP address in /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and Peasyscan is working wirelessly with XP-300, wonderful!

I too am using DHCP so now my question is what will happen when the IP changes? Is there a way to set this up so Peasyscan will find my XP-300 even if the IP changes?

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.
fuelish wrote:I too am using DHCP so now my question is what will happen when the IP changes? Is there a way to set this up so Peasyscan will find my XP-300 even if the IP changes?
The standard solution is to give the unit a static IP address, like 192.168.1.200. Some networkable printers have this option in their own control panel. Or you can set it from their web interface. (In your case, launch a web browser and go to 192.168.1.2.)

However, my XP-310 has neither! And the same issue applies to your CUPS printer. I may have read somewhere that you can set static IP through the Windows setup.

Or read here under Networked Printers for a way to handle this through the hosts file. I have not tested this with the Epson scanner driver.

fuelish

#72 Post by fuelish »

When I reboot puppy can’t find the scanner. Puppy hasn’t been able to find my printer since 2013. I have to set it up every time I want to print. I’ve gotten so used to doing this in puppy that its become the new normal.

Is there any version of puppy that can find my printer by its self (without using a static IP)? I prefer Slacko but would consider switching.

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

fuelish wrote:Puppy hasn’t been able to find my printer since 2013. I have to set it up every time I want to print. I’ve gotten so used to doing this in puppy that its become the new normal.

Is there any version of puppy that can find my printer by its self (without using a static IP)? I prefer Slacko but would consider switching.
??????

Is this because the IP address of the printer changed? The IP address of the Puppy machine is irrelevant.

This sounds like a problem with your savefile not retaining the settings. Have you tried this with a clean install?
When I reboot puppy can’t find the scanner.
This is probably related to the printer issue.

fuelish

#74 Post by fuelish »

The scanner and printer issue are the same. I should have explained better.

CUPS retains the IP of the printer. CUPS does this correctly on all of my computers. The IP address CUPS uses will be the IP address the printer had when I set up the printer. However the address of the printer can change.

My router/modem is only on when I use it. When I turn off the computers and printer I turn off the router/modem. The router/modem is a MiFi device. The next time I turn on everything each piece of equipment can get a different addresses.

CUPS is looking for the printer at an IP address that it may well no longer have. This is why CUPS (puppy) can’t find my printer.

So I would like to know if there is a version of puppy that can deal with this situation and find my printer without using a static IP address for the printer?

Thanks again. I do appreciate all the help you have given me!

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

fuelish wrote:So I would like to know if there is a version of puppy that can deal with this situation and find my printer without using a static IP address for the printer?
You can use the technique of adding an entry to your /etc/hosts file that associates the network printer's IP address with a name. Then you only need to change the hosts file instead of re-installing the printer in CUPS. I used this method with my Epson XP-310 as follows:

1. The printer's current IP address is 192.168.2.12

2. In the file /etc/hosts, add the line: 192.168.2.12 Epson

3. In the scanner config file /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf, use the line: net Epson

4. CUPS auto-detects the printer as: lpd://192.168.2.12:515/PASSTHRU

5. Instead, do a manual install using the protocol "LPD/LPR Host or Printer".

6. Make the device URI: lpd://Epson:515/PASSTHRU

If you reboot your system and the printer's IP address changes, you only need to update the hosts file with the new IP. To find the printer's IP address, run PeasyPort from the Network menu. Scan your subnet for Port 515.

-----------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 09:49, edited 4 times in total.

fuelish

#76 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51 wrote:Changing Puppy versions will not solve your problem.
I thought I’d ask.
Read How to Install Your Printer in Puppy. It has some alternatives. It would involve connecting the printer as a local USB device and having the Puppy machine run a print server. This could either be through CUPS or through Samba.
I think that would mean the computer that acts as the print server would have to be on before I could print with any of the other computers. I would prefer to have the capability to turn on one computer and the printer to print.
[Edit] Or you can use the technique of adding an entry to your /etc/hosts file that associates the network printer's IP address with a name. Then you only need to change the hosts file instead of re-installing the printer in CUPS.
That’s a problem. It doesn’t have a static IP to associate with a printer name. Assigning a static IP address to the printer is more hassle than I care to deal with.

The simplest solution for me is to use a long USB printer cable and plug into the USB port on the computer I want to scan or print with in puppy. I may even buy a USB switch and several USB printer cables so all my computers can be connected at the same time.

Just commenting but Windows deals with my setup and my way of using my equipment without any intervention on my part. Too bad puppy doesn't have this capability.

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

fuelish wrote:I think that would mean the computer that acts as the print server would have to be on before I could print with any of the other computers.
Correct.
That’s a problem. It doesn’t have a static IP to associate with a printer name.
No. See the instructions I posted above.
Just commenting but Windows deals with my setup and my way of using my equipment without any intervention on my part. Too bad puppy doesn't have this capability.
This is not a Puppy issue. It is a Linux issue. Your Windows driver has other ways of locating the printer.

Since you already have the Epson Windows driver installed on a machine, why not look in it for how to set a static IP address? It might not be that hard.

fuelish

#78 Post by fuelish »

Here’s something else I failed to explain properly. I don’t reinstall the printer driver every time I want to print in puppy. What I’ve been doing to get my printer to work in puppy is in CUPS administration I select Modify Printer, and check Discovered Network Printers: EPSON XP-300 Series. Click OK a few times and then I can print.

Assigning a static IP to my printer in puppy, Windows 7 and Windows 8 when I buy a new computer in the near future is way more hassle than I care to deal with. Using a printer cable is quick, effective and I don’t risk breaking networking in Windows. Which would cause me no end of grief to fix. I don’t even want to think about what I’d have to do to assign a fixed IP in Windows 8. Bottom line is my printer/scanner works in Windows now so my thinking is don’t fix what ain’t broken.

On puppy’s behalf I should have said that puppy can do many things for free that would cost money to do in Windows so I’m not knocking it. To say nothing about the fact that puppy is way smaller.

Thank you again. You really went all out to help me and I do appreciate it.

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

For the benefit of other readers, let me clarify some things.

1. Setting a static IP address for the printer is a ONE-TIME procedure done from a single Windows machine. The printer remembers its permanent address. You don't need to change the printer setups on the individual Windows machines - they appear to use the device's MAC address instead of the IP address.

With Epson, this involves downloading and running their separate network config utility.

2. I understand the procedure you have been using since 2013 to reinstall the CUPS printer each time. I was just suggesting that doing it through the hosts file would be quicker.

starhawk

#80 Post by starhawk »

I have PeasyScan v.2.6. How do I make it work with my networked Brother MFC-470DW Printer / Scanner / Copier / Fax / Pizza Oven?

I tried setting up a config file by copying and editing config-sample.cfg but PeasyScan didn't like the URI :(